Vacation Packages?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone here been to Universal with young kids? Myself, Mrs. S, and the 3 girls (4 to 8) are going again before Easter next year, and that will be the 4th year in a row. I typically get a new Disney or Orlando book every year, and each year we talk about Universal, but after reading the books it seems that Universal doesn't have much for young kids, and the park is split in two with the small kid stuff split between the 2 parks. For the 5 of us to go for one day is expensive: 1 day at both parks is $112 per adult and $104 per kids. I usually get 7 day passes for the Disney parks since the cost per day goes way down once you get that many days (about $33 per day).

Supe, I think junior (who I believe is 4?) would have a great time at Disney World and either Epcot, Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios. :2cents:

Whatever you end up doing you will all have a great time!

Has anyone here been to Universal with young kids? Myself, Mrs. S, and the 3 girls (4 to 8) are going again before Easter next year, and that will be the 4th year in a row. I typically get a new Disney or Orlando book every year, and each year we talk about Universal, but after reading the books it seems that Universal doesn't have much for young kids, and the park is split in two with the small kid stuff split between the 2 parks. For the 5 of us to go for one day is expensive: 1 day at both parks is $112 per adult and $104 per kids. I usually get 7 day passes for the Disney parks since the cost per day goes way down once you get that many days (about $33 per day).
Supe, I think junior (who I believe is 4?) would have a great time at Disney World and either Epcot, Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios. :2cents:

Whatever you end up doing you will all have a great time!

Agreed. That's why MIAF's mother would come with us. If we got a hotel with a shuttle to the parks, MIAF and I could go to IoA, while grandma and junior could either go to one of the other Disney parks or walk around Universal. There are still some family oriented rides, like the ET stuff, etc.

OK, resurrecting this thread as the previous one didn't pan out.

July 16 and 17 I will be at the Disney Coronado Resort for a work conference. This will be our one shot to get Junior down there. Plan is for me to fly down on Monday, work Tuesday and half of Wednesday, with the GF and Junior driving down most likely on Tuesday.

Unfortunately, we won't have grandma this time, so that rules out most of the adult ride opportunities for me. Plan is to stay at the resort while it's on the company's dime, and if I can't milk a decent rate out of them for an additional two nights, shoot over to a cheaper hotel.

So, if you had to plan a Wednesday evening, Thursday, Friday three day trip to Disney/Universal, how would you approach it with two adults and one kiddo? Can POSSIBLY stretch it out to Saturday. Keep in mind, she's 6 and fairly tall for her age, so at our local amusement park, she was tall enough to ride everything but the most adult rides/coasters.

I'm on the fence with Universal. They've upped their prices quite a bit, and the new Harry Potter setup is really the main point of interest. Magic Kingdom is a must, and Epcot sounds like it should probably be on the list as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walt Disney Co raised single-day admission prices as much as 6.7 percent over the weekend at its theme parks in Florida and California, hikes that are more than five times the rate of inflation.

Higher prices for Disney's theme parks have become an annual tradition. The theme parks and resortsunit provided 20 percent of the company's overall profits in the financial year that ended in September 2012, second only to the company's media unit that includes the behemoth sports channel ESPN.

As of Sunday, one-day entry to Disney's Magic Kingdom at the Walt Disney World resort in Orlando, Florida, costs $95 for a person age 10 or older, a 6.7 percent increase.
http://news.yahoo.com/disney-hikes-prices-u-theme-parks-033347168.html

I have not yet achieved baller status to afford that. Yikes!

OK, resurrecting this thread as the previous one didn't pan out.

July 16 and 17 I will be at the Disney Coronado Resort for a work conference. This will be our one shot to get Junior down there. Plan is for me to fly down on Monday, work Tuesday and half of Wednesday, with the GF and Junior driving down most likely on Tuesday.

Unfortunately, we won't have grandma this time, so that rules out most of the adult ride opportunities for me. Plan is to stay at the resort while it's on the company's dime, and if I can't milk a decent rate out of them for an additional two nights, shoot over to a cheaper hotel.

So, if you had to plan a Wednesday evening, Thursday, Friday three day trip to Disney/Universal, how would you approach it with two adults and one kiddo? Can POSSIBLY stretch it out to Saturday. Keep in mind, she's 6 and fairly tall for her age, so at our local amusement park, she was tall enough to ride everything but the most adult rides/coasters.

I'm on the fence with Universal. They've upped their prices quite a bit, and the new Harry Potter setup is really the main point of interest. Magic Kingdom is a must, and Epcot sounds like it should probably be on the list as well.

We did a 4-day trip there in November. We picked up park hopper tickets and kind of winged it. The only real plan we had was to pick which park we were starting the day at with the plan to move on to another one if we (meaning my son) got bored. After being told by a couple of other families with kids similar in age, we kind of figured Epcot would be a short day and Hollywood Studios would be a long one. Of all the things in the parks, my son had the best time playing a Phineas and Ferb game at Epcot. It's basically a treasure hunt game spread across the park. We ended up spending over a day there. Hollywood studios wound up being a half-day and he was ready to go do something else.

There seems to be quite a few sites dedicated to setting up packages for Disney. We set ours up through www.undercovertourist.com.

Yeah, I read that the other day. From what I hear, Universal is even higher than Disney. If I wasn't already down there for work with two three nights hotel stay paid for, I wouldn't even be considering it, especially during the peak of summer. But I figure we've been promising Junior for years now, so I may as well get her down there at an age where she'll a) remember it, and b) appreciate it.

My cousin did travel in Orlando for years. They advised their clients to hit theme parks on Sundays. Most people are traveling (in or out) on Sundays so crowds at parks are usually small.

To minimize food costs, we would do a big breakfast before arriving at the park. Then go like heck for the first couple hours when the park opens - hit all the rides and activities that will have huge lines later in the day.

My cousin did travel in Orlando for years. They advised their clients to hit theme parks on Sundays. Most people are traveling (in or out) on Sundays so crowds at parks are usually small.

To minimize food costs, we would do a big breakfast before arriving at the park. Then go like heck for the first couple hours when the park opens - hit all the rides and activities that will have huge lines later in the day.

While I'd love to be able to do that, work schedule won't permit it. We're going to be forced to drive home on Sunday if not Saturday.

In doing a little reading, it seems like Universal will be a waste of time until she's a bit older/taller and can ride everything with us. Flyer - that site is great, especially the "Frog tour" which tells you what to hit in what order, and where to use the fast pass. I think we'll probably end up doing the 4 day hopper option, as it comes with a free fifth day just in case, and if there's something she really likes more than the other, we won't be locked into it. She'd probably prefer Animal Kingdom over Universal.

^If you end up moving to a different hotel, we had pretty good luck with Pop Century. Nothing really special but the rooms were clean and my son liked the pool.

I live about 2 hours from all the Disney stuff so we make a few trips a year. Here are my experiences with my kids, 2 and 4 years.

- magic kingdom is the favorite with them and everybody else, lines will be the longest here definitely go during a weekday, they just opened a new area called fantasy land, get there when the park opens and go straight there or forget about it

- animal kingdom they enjoyed especially the younger one because of all the animals. There is a lot more walking here. If you want to do a character lunch or dinner call here as they are the least busy, magic kingdom character meals book up 6+ months in advance. At 40" my daughter could not ride many of the attractions, but they have a lot of fun shows so plan your day around those

- epcot nobody really likes except for my wife. I just think its boring b/c the kids don't have a lot to do and the rides are pretty lame IMO

- haven't been to Universal since Harry Potter opened but I know a lot of people who have, they all thought it was great but it is always busy

If you want to stay at Disney they have hotels like 'all start sports resort' which are basically a holiday inn type hotel, basic two beds, bath, and tv, nothing Disney about them but they are 90-100 a night but you will still have to drive or ride the bus to get places.

Look just off Disney for a place to stay, there is a Radisson resort that is pretty neat for kids and adults nearby, but was recently under construction.

All the parks allow food so take snacks for the kid and drinks for everybody.

If you want to know more let me know, I've been in and out of Disney since I was born since we've always lived no more than 2 hours away.

OK, so got back from a looong week at Disney. A couple observations:

-Magic Kingdom is pretty disappointing nowadays. The whole thing feels very dated, and the attempts at updating seem very forced, e.g. the "updated" Pirates of the Caribbean ride just sticks Barbosa on the boat and Jack Sparrow is sitting in a chair at the end of the ride.

-Where are all the f*cking characters? Junior wanted desperately to meet the Disney princesses. When I was a kid, you couldn't walk five feet without tripping over them. Now, you've got to pay $100 for a meal for three to be able to see any of them. Total ripoff. There aren't any characters even walking around the parks anymore, it's all scheduled autograph sessions that you stand in line for.

-Rides were surprisingly doable. Over the course of the weekend, we only waited longer than 20 minutes for one ride (Tower of Terror). We did get lucky in that the GF got a hand-written cut-in-line fast pass for waiting forever for one of the transportation buses (over an hour), and so we cheated Space Mountain with that one. Use the Fast Passes strategically, and don't wait until the end of the day to get them for the good rides. Between 12-3 PM, fast passes for the good rides were "sold out" for the day.

-The resorts are worth the money if you can afford it. Junior and the GF spent two full days at the pool. For an extra $20/night you get a free continental breakfast (skimpy but better than nothing), and free beer, cheese, crackers in the evening. I got my $'s worth in Heinekens. Bus transportation is pretty good with some exceptions, and saves you the $15 for parking at each park. Also, by booking tickets through the hotel, you get a discount on par or better than you can find online, and they also gave us free admission to one of the water parks. For three people, that's $180 savings right there, and I think we had a better time at Typhoon Lagoon than anywhere else.

-If you've got young kids, go to Hollywood Studios (we ended up skipping Epcot). I had no idea that this was the old MGM. Plenty of chances to meet cast and characters, and most of the attractions are movie/live based performances, so the line moves in HUGE chunks. With a couple of exceptions (Rockin' Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror), most of the other rides are on a continuous loop, so they too move quickly (Haunted Mansion, etc.). You can actually do everything worth while in this park in a single day, and most of the lines are air conditioned along the way.

-Bring water shoes/sandals and Dollar Store rain ponchos. Lesson learned.

-We had some friends go to Animal Kingdom. We were told to get there EARLY, otherwise, most of the animals go into hiding as soon as it gets hot out.

-Make dinner reservations. If you're going to eat at the parks, some of the restaurants are booked solid 6 months in advance. Lines were ABSURD. At Downtown Disney, we waited over an hour to get into the T-Rex themed one. About 5 minutes from the resort area there is a main stretch of road that has a billion restaurants on it, from cheap stuff to nice places (we ended up eating at an Outback one night, and Bonefish Grill another). Eat there instead of at the parks or resorts.

-Ride the Star Wars ride at Hollywood Studios. It's freakin' sweet. Also ride the updated Space Mountain. It's also freakin' sweet. Skip the Jack Sparrow ride at Hollywood Studios. It's the worst POS I've ever stood in line for. You STAND in a room, and only about 1/3 of the room can see what's going on. It's just a bunch of lights on the wall, and a Jack Sparrow hologram standing on a boat for the rest of it (think the recent Tupac "live" concert, those kinds of holograms). I was pissed.

If we end up going again, we will likely do a water park and Universal, and skip the Disney parks. If you've got older kids, let them run around the water park and just float around the lazy river all day (man, I must be getting old). Junior is right on the cusp of being tall enough to ride just about anything (she's over 48 inches, and on the cusp of being able to ride almost anything, one good growth spurt ought to do it.) She's a thrill seeker, and wants to ride anything scary/fast, so even at 6 years old, she found a lot of the rides to be on the boring side. Even though the lines may be a bit worse, I think the stuff at Universal will be more her speed.

sounds like a good trip overall.

I just had a flashback of being on the "it's a Small World" ride when the thing broke down and we were stranded for 20 minutes listening to the sound track with the puppets swinging back and forth. I almost started screaming.

LOL...

We love Disney so much we all have 2 days if tickets (that don't expire) they have been sitting in a desk at hole for around 4 years...

I ha e be we stayed on resort before but always wanted to try it.. The driving around and fooling with parking was never a lot of fun...

Supe

the last times my kids went they wanted to do two days at epcot, they thought that was the coolest place ever (wife and I were bored but at least you cank drink at epcot)

our kids never wanted to stay at animal kingdom more than 2 hours, it sucks IMHO..

I want to save those remaining tickets we have and go when they are all in high school just for "fun" hopefully majorly off season..

My biggest problem with Disney has been the massive amount of adults there with no kids acting like they belong there...

at the Florida Disney there are lots of adults there (wearing the ears and all) just walking around, getting autographs, with no kids..

these people are generally very disturbing to me..

There is a guy I work with who is one of those. He and his wife go down there to hang out a couple times a year. They're in their late 50s. Sometimes they take their daughter (who is going to school for a Master's degree). I agree; he's kind of weird.

And people wonder why LegoLand has a policy to only allow entry to the park if you bring kids...

at the Florida Disney there are lots of adults there (wearing the ears and all) just walking around, getting autographs, with no kids..

these people are generally very disturbing to me..

Yep every time we take our kids I can't believe the number of adults at magic kingdom without kids. Not a place I would go without my kids.

Last time we were there we were on our way out of the park and saw a short line to see one of the princesses and my daughter wanted to see her so we figured 10-15 min wait with there only being 5 or 6 groups ahead of us. After all how long does it take to get a picture and move on. After about 10 min of not moving I notice it is a group of about 6 people all in their 30s with no kids hugging the characters getting autographs and prob 3 dozen pictures. The family in front of us asked if I could see what was taking so long. After having been in the park for 10 hours with a 2 and 4 year old I was not in the best mood and said it's a bunch of idiot adults taking a hundred pictures because they apparently are too stupid to understand this isn't real and is for little kids.

My wife elbows me in the side and gestures behind us where there are two people prob 40-45 yrs decked out in full Disney gear with the wedding mouse ears, about 300 of those stupid collector pins on their shirts and a hand full of autograph books and an absolutely mortified look on their faces.

Like I said, at this point I was tired and angry so instead of an apology what came out was:

Huh, I wonder if they look so upset because I called them idiots or if they just found out Disney wasn't real. The line got real quite for the last 10 minutes of waiting, it was awesome because that was the only 10 min of quite we had all day until the car ride home.

Back