VA Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you guys order your VA stamp, do you use the 0402xxxxxx as your Engineer number, or do you omit the 0402 and just use the xxxx digits following it? Or is it preference?
omit the 0402. The way all the seals for engineers I work with (in office and out) have the 0402 omitted. I think the 0402 is just the code for professional engineer. If you look at your name on the website again it should have "OCCUPATION: PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER 0402" and then a separate line for license number.
0402 is a series...leave it off... your license number is 0XXXXX..my stamp is in the mail on its way!

When you guys order your VA stamp, do you use the 0402xxxxxx as your Engineer number, or do you omit the 0402 and just use the xxxx digits following it? Or is it preference?
omit the 0402. The way all the seals for engineers I work with (in office and out) have the 0402 omitted. I think the 0402 is just the code for professional engineer. If you look at your name on the website again it should have "OCCUPATION: PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER 0402" and then a separate line for license number.
0402 is a series...leave it off... your license number is 0XXXXX..my stamp is in the mail on its way!
Same here. Ironically, I probably will receive my stamp before my license.

A guy at my office got his 4th FE failure letter Saturday...but I still havent got the PE letter yet

A guy at my office got his 4th FE failure letter Saturday...but I still havent got the PE letter yet
I took (& passed) the FE my senior year of college, but if I had to take it now, I would likely fail. There is such a large variety of material that you have to know. Being a Civil/Geotech without having taken dynamics, I wouldn't have done so hot (thanks Dr. Librescu). And without any electric, I was reliant on everything else... the FE is pretty tough unless you are still in school.

PE letters came today with license. I think also it said a wall certificate would come in 30 days...

Also, mine came with a passing score. Does anyone know if that percentage is the raw score percentage out of 80 or some kind of scaled score where 70% is passing?

PE letters came today with license. I think also it said a wall certificate would come in 30 days...
Also, mine came with a passing score. Does anyone know if that percentage is the raw score percentage out of 80 or some kind of scaled score where 70% is passing?
It's a mystery that none of us will ever solve.

70 (passing) is scaled (how could you get an 82 out of 80)...so what was your score?

It said 88%, which would be 70/80 if the score was raw. Accordingly, a 70%, assuming that is the pass/fail cut off, would be 56/80 raw score, which I believe is higher than the actual cut off.

So if the cut off is around 50 (different for each afternoon section or PE exam) then instead of having missed 10, I probably really missed 11 or 12 and my scaled score of 88% is truly a raw score than is slightly lower around 85%

This is how I am interpreting the scores unless someone has a better idea.

It said 88%, which would be 70/80 if the score was raw. Accordingly, a 70%, assuming that is the pass/fail cut off, would be 56/80 raw score, which I believe is higher than the actual cut off.
So if the cut off is around 50 (different for each afternoon section or PE exam) then instead of having missed 10, I probably really missed 11 or 12 and my scaled score of 88% is truly a raw score than is slightly lower around 85%

Did you expect to get around 88?

That is the highest score that I've heard.

Not really...I guessed on 8 or so in the afternoon alone, but I guessed C on almost all of those, not only because I was told to go with C, but because most of my other answer choices were A, B, and D. So I figured some of my guesses had to be correct.

I think I get to join this board for April. Anyone know the stats and best-practices approach for the 2nd time around? Is there a thread for best classes and prep work in Va?

I think I get to join this board for April. Anyone know the stats and best-practices approach for the 2nd time around? Is there a thread for best classes and prep work in Va?
This is acutally the Oct. 09 PE result thread but of course you can still post up here. After you take your test you'll want to start a new VA results thread.

What area of VA are you in? I took a class at ODU and I believe that it helped on a handful of questions that I know I would never have gotten otherwise. It was an electric-power course.

This is acutally the Oct. 09 PE result thread but of course you can still post up here. After you take your test you'll want to start a new VA results thread.

What area of VA are you in? I took a class at ODU and I believe that it helped on a handful of questions that I know I would never have gotten otherwise. It was an electric-power course.
Sorry...based on today's earlier posts, I think have a letter waiting at home that says I get the opportunity to try again. (I took the exam the first time Oct 2009.) I live in Hampton Roads, am an ODU alum, and know about their Power prep program. I was too busy in the fall, but we see where that got me! I just wonder if there are other training programs that work well. Someone on the day of the exam mentioned a class in Texas for a couple of weeks of full-time study. I'm looking for details on that program.

Thanks.

What depth portion did you write? I believe that the cutoff will be around 50/80, such that a raw percentage of around 62 will be scaled score of 70. Even with that scale, 88 is pretty good. You definitely got around 65 correct (+/- 2). You talked about your expectations for depth. What about morning? I thought that was easy, and I got 35 correct for sure, and I was able to eliminate to the final 2 choices on 2-3 more. Let's see, its wait and watch here. Congrats anyways.

Well, I just had my husband read me the letter over the phone. Sure enough, I failed.

I got a 69. Minimum passing was 70.

Good thing I'm in a nice padded cubicle right now.... SIGH.

Sorry...based on today's earlier posts, I think have a letter waiting at home that says I get the opportunity to try again. (I took the exam the first time Oct 2009.) I live in Hampton Roads, am an ODU alum, and know about their Power prep program. I was too busy in the fall, but we see where that got me! I just wonder if there are other training programs that work well. Someone on the day of the exam mentioned a class in Texas for a couple of weeks of full-time study. I'm looking for details on that program.

Thanks.
No need to be sorry, I just wanted to let you know so when you pass the next time around you'll post in a new thread just for that exam. I'm not sure of any other specific classes. I'm sure you will probably get some stuff about classes in the mail soon with the rest of the PE prep stuff you'll be getting.

Well, I just had my husband read me the letter over the phone. Sure enough, I failed.

Sorry that you didn't pass. I hope you take it again in April.

Oh I'm absolutely taking it again. It's just a Murphy's Law kind of situation with me. ARGH, I say! ARGH!!!

You will get it next time. I know how you feel as I got a 68 last spring and I knew I just blew a few due to stupid mistakes which did not help but I just felt that I still should have done better and I passed this time. I am not sure what my score is as the mail has not arrived yet today.

That stinks I got a 67 in the spring...I think I would have rather had a 50...69 is so close...but dont give up

Back