Upset with my ex-boss after I passed my PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am only 29 year old and my career time in engineer is only three and half year.

She is my first manager.I have worked for her for one and half year.I did two patents with her in one and half year.That's why I thought she can be a good reference.
That's understandable. She sounds like a toxic person though.

I just passed my PE exam in April 2018.I am looking forward to get recommendation letter from my one of ex-boss.

I informed her I passed PE.There is no any congratulation from her.

Instead,she said:eek:h u have passed PE.How come?You don't have enough working experience.That means PE is easy.

I answered No,PE is hard and I did a lot of work to it.

She responded:do u mean I would fail the PE exam?

I answered:No,I didn't mean that.It requires hard work.

She responded:If we want to pass PE,everyone in this company can pass PE.PE is nothing.It didn't bring any rise in the salary.

Then I said goodbye and have a good weekend for memorial day

I have no idea why her opinion is so dark and so pessimistic.

She made me feel uncomfortable after passing PE exam and she thought PE licence is nothing and it's a easy exam.I don't know it is still worth to study and pass PE.

Two thing are sure:

I am glad she is no long my boss.

I can't get reference letter from her
@SuperKK

Sounds like my ex boss. I quit, got a severance package and escaped to a better company. Never forget, you leave managers not companies. If the PE was easy, why doesn’t she have it?

So sick and tired of moody bosses. Never happy, never positive and always nagging. 

Thats a toxic work environment. Normally a change will also improve your salary. My current employer (major corporation) did not contact my ex boss. 

Nowadays, companies don’t care so much about references anymore. I had three offers and none of them asked for references. 

I wish you all the best. You’ll do better somewhere else. 

Last edited by a moderator:
@SuperKK

Sounds like my ex boss. I quit, got a severance package and escaped to a better company. Never forget, you leave managers not companies. If the PE was easy, why doesn’t she have it?

So sick and tired of moody bosses. Never happy, never positive and always nagging. 

Thats a toxic work environment. Normally a change will also improve your salary. My current employer (major corporation) did not contact my ex boss. 

Nowadays, companies don’t care so much about references anymore. I had three offers and none of them asked for references. 

I wish you all the best. You’ll do better somewhere else. 
Thanks.I am still in the company but am not with my ex-boss.I am glad I was forced to leave the her group due to terrible oil price.

I did great in manufacture position and I just won a commitment award in my company.

Is she possibly jealous/worried about her future? Could be a classic case of a manager trying to hold her team down so that they don't surpass her and become her boss. It could also be bad timing if she was having a bad day.

Is she possibly jealous/worried about her future? Could be a classic case of a manager trying to hold her team down so that they don't surpass her and become her boss. It could also be bad timing if she was having a bad day.
seems for me that her attidude is driven by jealoucy...

I just passed my PE exam in April 2018.I am looking forward to get recommendation letter from my one of ex-boss.

I informed her I passed PE.There is no any congratulation from her.

Instead,she said:eek:h u have passed PE.How come?You don't have enough working experience.That means PE is easy.

I answered No,PE is hard and I did a lot of work to it.

She responded:do u mean I would fail the PE exam?

I answered:No,I didn't mean that.It requires hard work.

She responded:If we want to pass PE,everyone in this company can pass PE.PE is nothing.It didn't bring any rise in the salary.

Then I said goodbye and have a good weekend for memorial day

I have no idea why her opinion is so dark and so pessimistic.

She made me feel uncomfortable after passing PE exam and she thought PE licence is nothing and it's a easy exam.I don't know it is still worth to study and pass PE.

Two thing are sure:

I am glad she is no long my boss.

I can't get reference letter from her
what a ****. easy or not (70% pass rate) it still deserves a congratulations. even if you absolutely do not need it in your industry (like utilities)

most of us here wouldnt mind providing you with a letter if you ask. (i assume you need the references for your license?)

also, you couldnt get a letter from her anyways, she isn’t a PE. undoubtedly the reason she was jealous and bitter

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand ..does ur ex boss have a PE? If not she should shut her mouth about how easy it is...now that she doesn't want to give a recommendation I would tell her that you don't believe she has what it takes to pass it... what she thinks she's just gona show up test day and pass? She's out of her **** mind
a civil guy here claimed to have done just that

i believe it. there has to be geniuses out there to achieve that

what a ****. easy or not (70% pass rate) it still deserves a congratulations. even if you absolutely do not need it in your industry (like utilities)

most of us here wouldnt mind providing you with a letter if you ask. (i assume you need the references for your license?)

also, you couldnt get a letter from her anyways, she isn’t a PE. undoubtedly the reason she was jealous and bitter
Thank you for the support.Yes,I am looking for reference for PE license.I have three more month to obtain four years experience.

I will find PE for the reference. Thank you for the offer.

Your ex-boss seems like she needs a hug. Do not let her jealous attitude diminish such a huge accomplishment. Congratulations, and enjoy the moment. If i may ask, why do you need a recommendation from her anyway? 

Back