uhh

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so friday i tried to log into my email remotely and my pw doesnt work. today i try and get into the office and my card doesnt work so i call my coworker to let me in. then my account on my computer is disabled.

something tells me that come monday im going to be unemployed...

Sounds like the odds are pretty good that the IT people think so. That's a pretty rude way of doing business though.

I don't think I was supposed to find out. I told my asshole boss to give me stuff to do this weekend so that should have been a clue that I would try and get in the building. I forgot to mention the 2 empty boxes conveniently left on my desk for me.

wtf??? and they wonder why I hate them...

That's f'd up. They pulled something similar for the first round of layoffs at the utility where I started. The first clue that you had was that your badge wouldn't get you into the plant. We did have a week's worth of warning before the day it happened though. My first act when I got in that morning was to go into the plant. When the lock popped open, I quit worrying about my job and started wondering how many of my friends would be packing up.

could be worse- part of the reason i went in was to get my resume off my thumb drive i left in the computer. thank god i didnt save it to a drive. and i have it now and its only saturday.

ive heard this company NEVER fires anyone- they make you resign. any benefit to NOT going this route? ie, unemployment which id love to screw them for.

I'm not sure how unemployment works for that. I think they have to contest it if you file. The only downside I can think of for making them officially fire you is if you need to use them as a reference. If you leave "voluntarily" they can contest the unemployment.

could be worse- part of the reason i went in was to get my resume off my thumb drive i left in the computer. thank god i didnt save it to a drive. and i have it now and its only saturday.
ive heard this company NEVER fires anyone- they make you resign. any benefit to NOT going this route? ie, unemployment which id love to screw them for.
I honestly don't think they can pull hijinx to rip you off of unemployment. When they basically forced my dad into retirement he took unemployment, and a friend of mine who took a buyout also took unemployment. They might fight, but I think you'll win.

That is a screwed up way to let somebody go, assuming that is really what they are doing.

Sorry to hear it Squishles. That is messed up. Good luck finding a job with a better company - it shouldn't be hard. That is no way to do business.

I'm even a little upset- guess it shows how much I hated it there. There are two people there I trust to tell me if they knew about anything- neither has called me back but it's a Saturday so who knows.

I just can't wait til monday when he drags me in his office and I already know what he's going to say. Much more fun thinking of what I want to in advance like they get to. What a prick. My fiance is going to be PISSED.

Good luck Monday. Good timing on passing the PE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird turn of events.

Good Luck Squish and remember...at the end, whatever is happening, is for the good. Stay strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
that sucks dude. what a shitty way for them to let you know. But if you hate them already, then you know you can do better.

I think the worst part is that they gave you such little warning that you won't have that much time to steal office supplies before leaving.

Seriously, that is one shitty deal they are giving you. Be sure to grab a three-hole punch and a couple of lamps if you can!

I've heard some companies basically buy you off--they pay you a decent amount of money to 'resign' and sign away your right to sue the company for the discharge.

Since nearly all employment these days is 'at will' (assuming you're not union), you have little shot a winning a lawsuit anyway, unless you have concrete proof of illegal discrimination (which I imagine is very hard to prove). So you may want to consider this route if they offer it, unless you really want to say F U!

Tough break, but you hated the place and were getting ready to look elsewhere anyway, right? It sucks in the short term, but can only turn out better in the long run.

Hey squishles that is some seriously fucked up shit!

It sounds like you were losing some serious healthy-approach-to-life points at your job though so this is really probably for the BEST. Sometimes we just need a little push out the door to take some action.

JR

You're much better off not burning bridges on your way out the door. In the engineering business, you never know who you be working for down the road, or that jerk boss ends up moving to some company and he ends up being your client (actually happened to me).

As much as it hurts, suck it up and move on. Things always happen for a reason.

Back