Typical Reactions?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellebot

Reaction score
Question for those who have either passed or failed the exam in the past.........how did you celebrate if you passed? on the flip side.......what did those who did not pass do to alleviate the disappointing news?

Drink heavily in either case.

Last edited by a moderator:
moved thread to appropriate forum

When I actually passed I jumped up and down hooting and hollering like I just won the superbowl. The heavy drinking was done in the evening after the exam date.

For me there were two stages...

Inmediately before the test??? I had sex that night..... :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

When I learned I passed?....nothing. I was home alone.

When I failed, it really bummed me out for a while, then for weeks I'd have all those thoughts:

1. Should I just get out of engineering?

2. Is all this really worth it?

3. Maybe sales wouldn't be too bad?

4. Where's the nearest high bridge?

5. Should I jump?

6. If I jump, will anyone notice I'm gone?

etc. etc. etc.

When I found out, I was at my office in a meeting with 3 people, my wife calls my cell phone freakin' out and screaming because she went ahead and opened the results (under my previous advice), and I said "oh, that's cool, I'll call ya right back", then went back into the sewer discussion.

the feeling of passing was really cool, and more of a relief, the feeling of failing to me was much much worse in the opposite direction.

When I failed - it was extreme incredulity that I could fail by one point. Twice. And then just plain anger over the whole method behind how we are score, graded, etc.

When I passed I was in complete disbelief. I couldn't let go of the letter for days because I was waiting for it to say 'F' or to go a follow-up notice saying there was a mistake. It wasn't real for me until I received my registration card in the mail. Once I was assigned a number - that was the moment that I could bask in the sunshine. At least for the moment.

JR

there were several of us in the office that took it at the same time. Letters all arrived at our respective home addresses on the same day. All of our wives were at home to receive/read the mail. I initially told my wife that I wanted to open it myself. The other guys had their wives open the letters and they passed. I said "WTF" and called my wife and asked her to open it . I passed. I said "you're kidding?" and she reaffirmed that it said "pass"!

We were batting 1.000 in the office. It was just after lunch and the group of us decided to leave early and go out for beers. Great day and what a huge relief.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife called me with the good news, but I was on a job site and didn't hear the phone ring, so she left me a voicemail which was her reading the letter verbatium and then lots of cheers.....

When I finally realized that I had a voicemail and listened to it...I thought she was pulling my chain, but a follow up phone call confirmed the pass and I stopped at the liquor store before coming home....

I still have the voicemail on my phone....!!!

When the work pushes me a little too hard, I fire up the voicemail and listen to it.....puts a smile on my face and I make it thru the day.

After my wife called me at work to tell me I passed, I did a victory lap around the office, followed by a lot of drinks courtesy of my co-workers... I then went home and drank some more! That weekend my wife, son, and I went out to our favorite Cuban place and had one hell of a meal.

Just found out i passed on saturday, and after the screaming and jumping up and down, i celebrated with my spouse with lots of drinks and a nice dinner. needless to say, the constant congrats at work arent getting old.... :)

I opened my letter with my wife present. She got to 'passed' before I did and screamed in my ear. I was pretty sure I'd passed when I saw the thin envelope, but then I thought, "What if those guys were pulling my leg?"

Needless to say, much drinking took place. I was so relieved not to have to start cramming again. Great Christmas present.

I opened my letter with my wife present. She got to 'passed' before I did and screamed in my ear. I was pretty sure I'd passed when I saw the thin envelope, but then I thought, "What if those guys were pulling my leg?"
Needless to say, much drinking took place. I was so relieved not to have to start cramming again. Great Christmas present.
Common' Capi. We don't do that here. ;)

what, let our wives/husbands/SO's scream in our ear? :-D
What? No. I was not talking about that. Most of us are not that lucky. Good Luck my friend. I know how it feels to be waiting and reading everybody getting results. But I think your wait it going to be......I forgot...I am not making predictions anymore.

Back