Typical Passing Score (%)?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called NCEES and they went over my scores in each section with me. When we figured out the total percentage that I had correct, I was right at 63.75 (51/80) on the actual test. He said a couple of more and I would have been licensed poor me.
Sounds strange... I've never heard of NCEES giving out any scores themselves (even though some states do), much less over the phone. Or do you mean they went over (explained) the diagnostics sheet?

I use "a couple" to mean a few, not necessarily two. It drives my wife nuts, but it's not uncommon or incorrect.
Common, sure... correct, maybe... but you're not going to win any nominations to the Pedantists Club with such a loose use. A couple and a few should be two different things!

Common, sure... correct, maybe... but you're not going to win any nominations to the Pedantists Club with such a loose use. A couple and a few should be two different things!
Such a loose use? Look it up in the dictionary, "couple" doesn't have to mean two.

from a Merriam-Webster

4: an indefinite small number : few <a couple of days ago>
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/couple

take your condescension elsewhere please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Such a loose use? Look it up in the dictionary, "couple" doesn't have to mean two.
from a Merriam-Webster

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/couple

take your condescension elsewhere please.
You're shiting me, right? You think I'd couple "pedant" and "condescension" in the same post? Please!

<duck>And didn't your mom teach you to not believe everything you read on the internet?</duck>

You're shiting me, right? You think I'd couple "pedant" and "condescension" in the same post? Please!
<duck>And didn't your mom teach you to not believe everything you read on the internet?</duck>
:rolleyes:

I passed the ME PE (Machine Design) in April 2008.
NCEES 2001 exam score 69/80 (Although I had worked through some of the problems months earlier)

Also, I would be amazed if there were any combustion/stoichiometry problems on the exam. Spend your time elsewhere. There were many engineering economics problems on the test when I took it, and not the simple ones like in the NCEES 2001 exam. This is probably a good place to spend some time on.

Good luck!
From my test experience for Thermo/Fluids section I recommend having fundamentals down for combustion/stoichiometry. I believe it helped me get over the passing line last April. It probably is different each year and depending on MECH afternoon section you take.

Back