Transmission Line Engineers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gymrat1279 PE

Reaction score
Hi, I'm relatively new to EB and was wondering if there were any other transmission line engineers on here. I'm a civil engineer, but I work with mainly EEs.

Welcome to the board gymrat !!

I noticed you stated you were a civil engineer but worked with EEs mostly. Do you work for a utility or other energy industry entity? If so, how did you end up there and what sort of duties do you have as a civil engineer.

I am kinda curious because I have been thinking about branching into the energy/utility industry. I am an environmental engineer by education and experience with a soon-to-be M.S. in civil engineering (mostly geotechnical emphasis).

Thanks for your reply.

JR

Thanks!

I work for a utility. We are an independent electric transmission company. I do line routing and the structure design for the transmission towers and steel poles. I also do some foundation design in and outside the substations. I ended up there right out of school. I was going to work for a consultant who does some work for us, but they weren't hiring at the time and they handed over my resume to the company I work for now.

We don't have any environmental engineers that work for us currently, but we do utilize engineering firms that will do studies of wetlands and other areas that may be affected by our lines and substations.

Hey, gymrat. Where did you go to school? Given your last reply I think I know where you work. I know a couple of people that work there. I'll PM you with names.

JR: I meant to write a reply a while back when you were talking about utilities. I work for a medium-sized utility and we employ both civil and environmental engineers. We have people that design stuctural things like lines and substations as well as doing drainage designs for new substations and the like (substations have to have spill plans in case a transformer ruptures and the oil leaks out). We also have people that do soil analysis for substations to determine resistivity to figure out the grounding requirements for substations. We also have an environmental group that has a few dozen people. I'm on the electrical side, so I'm not really familar with what they do, but I know new lines usually need environmental permits. They also do remediation work on contaminated sites, plus pollution monitoring (air, water, soil) for power plants. On top of that we have several hydro facilites so I figure there must be some civil and environmental work that goes along with that. Sorry I don't have more detail, as I said I focus more on the EE side of things.

mudpuppy: I went to Michigan Tech up in Houghton.

JR: mudpuppy pretty much summed up the environmental aspects of working for a utility. A lot of this work is done by consultants as well as internally at the utility.

mudpuppy: I went to Michigan Tech up in Houghton.
:plusone: That makes at least three MTU alums on this board. I graduated from Tech in '00 with a BSEE and '01 with an MSEE and I'm pretty sure Old as Dirt Geo went there.

:plusone: That makes at least three MTU alums on this board. I graduated from Tech in '00 with a BSEE and '01 with an MSEE and I'm pretty sure Old as Dirt Geo went there.
Nice, gotta like the Tech alums... I graduated in '04 with a BSCE. I just graduated from Lawrence Tech this past May with my MSCE.

gymrat1279 and mudpuppy,

Thanks for the info! Right now I work as a regulator and part of my workload has been working with several power generating stations within my state. It looks like the energy industry (especially nuclear) is poised to take-off. I am definitely at a fork in the road career-wise and just gauging the barometer towards how aggressively I want to pursue different avenues of work.

Thanks again for the info!

JR

Hi, I'm relatively new to EB and was wondering if there were any other transmission line engineers on here. I'm a civil engineer, but I work with mainly EEs.
I work at a major utility in Nebraska...you get 2 guesses :)

I transferred from a nuke plant to T&D this March, going from dealing with heat exchangers, pumps & valves to breakers & Xfmrs. I also work with EEs regularly at my new position in preventive maintenance.

Hope my fellow EE's will stick around after results. The Electrical section gets lonely sometimes.

I'm a former test guy, relay jock, systems protection, now involved with transmission system planning.

Back