To Vaccinate or Not To Vaccinate - that is the question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ba-jenny-mccarthy-jpeg-hot-786576359.jpg

My wife and I were discussing it the other night about why there are more food allergies and an increase in genetic disorders like autism. I think medicine is to blame, but not directly. I know shots and modern medicine do not cause these problems, but rather they allow people who have these disorders (or the genetic markers that cause them) to live and pass their genes on to the next generation.

For example, my wife develops hyperemesis when pregnant. In her case, had she been pregnant 75 years ago she would not have survived her pregnancy with our first child. The genetic markers that cause the disease would have died with her. Instead, because she was able to be treated with medicine to survive the ordeal, those markers are now passed on to our children. My daughter has a very high chance of developing the same problems if she decides to have kids, and my son has the chance to pass it on to his children.

We now live in a time where procreation is no longer necessary for the survival of humans as a species. People now have kids because they want to, and as callous as it sounds, not everyone should be able to. We've reached a point where modern medicine lets [almost] anyone who wants kids to have them despite huge risks.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I were discussing it the other night about why there are more food allergies and an increase in genetic disorders like autism. I think medicine is to blame, but not directly. I know shots and modern medicine do not cause these problems, but rather they allow people who have these disorders (or the genetic markers that cause them) to live and pass their genes on to the next generation.

For example, my wife develops hyperemesis when pregnant. In her case, had she been pregnant 75 years ago she would not have survived her pregnancy with our first child. The genetic markers that cause the disease would have died with her. Instead, because she was able to be treated with medicine to survive the ordeal, those markers are now passed on to our children. My daughter has a very high chance of developing the same problems if she decides to have kids, and my son has the chance to pass it on to his children.

We now live in a time where procreation is no longer necessary for the survival of humans as a species. People now have kids because they want to, and as callous as it sounds, not everyone should be able to. We've reached a point where modern medicine lets [almost] anyone who wants kids to have them despite huge risks.

I think stuff like this but never dare say it out loud. Dex has bigger nuts than I do.

^Me too, and even worse things, and yet I'm "in the business" of helping ruin the sanctity of our genes. Human morals, in general, are in conflict with mother nature's designs (or God's, depending on your view).

The final answer is that humanity is rapidly becoming capable of engineering its own evolution, to become mother nature or "God" on its own.

We'll be the cockroaches of the universe, eventually.

I think I could come around to this point of view, as long as those who aren't allowed to have kids don't have to financially subsidize those who do.

Latest posts

Back