Tight security?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Raleigh, NC
no restriction on books, a guy taking civil had 4 crates (2x2) on his desk as a wall, plus he had 10+ more under the table.
Hah! I think I saw that guy leaving the exam. He had all of it stacked on an appliance dolly! It was as tall or taller than he was.

When I took the exam, there was a T-800 at the door asking every entrant if they were Sarah Connor.

^

t1000_16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hah! I think I saw that guy leaving the exam. He had all of it stacked on an appliance dolly! It was as tall or taller than he was.
the guy I was thinking of had a 3tier cart

I saw the guy with the dolly, but he didnt have any crates just the books on the dolly.

I brought 3 crates but they were 3/4 full and sorted by what I thought I would need (ref.), codes and then the 3rd with all those other texts that might be usefully in a jam.

I used almost every book, but that was because I was WAGing and looking for a definition or equation to make it "educated" :reading: :D

Was it a blow up dolly? I'm not into that, but I guess it wasn't expressly forbidden in the rules.

no restriction on books, a guy taking civil had 4 crates (2x2) on his desk as a wall, plus he had 10+ more under the table.
the tables where I took the test would have fallen over from the weight...they were the 18" wide type tables

I kinda like blow up dollys, they don't ever mind if you've been with another blow up dolly.

In Miami FLA we had a bunch of old ladies and an old dude that looked like he's been getting high every day since summer of '68. The head proctor was a real B____H, she kept giving shit to the other proctors (they were screwing up a lot). My old lady didn't check my books (she was kinda slow). We were allowed to put all of our books on the tables - two of us shared an 8ft. table, so plenty of room. They only told us to keep our drinks off the table. This makes sense cause you don't want to spill your beer on the answer sheet.

Taking the FE in CT, I was surprised at the level of security.

There was a monitor in each bathroom plus a big sign that said "No Talking!" There were about 2 proctors for every 20 examinees, one who was in charge and then a backup. The first guy sat at the table in the front and watched, while the second one circulated around the section constantly. It was a little unnerving, to be honest - he'd just come right up behind you and look over your shoulder for a minute or two, and then 15 minutes later he was back again to stare at what you were doing.

Some of it did make sense; they put an FS examinee at the same table as an FE examinee, alternating people so you couldn't look at the person next to you (the tables were big enough that you'd really have to turn your head to see anyways). Your watch had to be on your wrist or on the floor - and they did enforce that with the guy next to me, who was told within 2 seconds of setting his watch on the table that it had better go back on his wrist with the quickness.

They were nuts about cell phones and rightfully so. You could turn yours in to the proctor's table and they'd give it back to you after the exam, though.

They were not allowing cushions or other types of padding for the awful seats we had to sit in. I saw two girls who tried to bring one in, and they had to leave them at the information desk. I balled up my sweatshirt and sat on it. The lighting wasn't the best; my eyes ached at the end and I have good contacts (brand new that morning).

The thing that got me was bathroom access. The facilities were closed immediately after the AM session and we were all locked out of that entire area of the building. We were not told beforehand that there were no restrooms open in the rest of the building. I was too busy during the AM session to make a head call, and we were ushered out of the area so quickly after that session I didn't get a chance to use the facilities. I literally thought my bladder was going to explode. In retrospect I probably could have gone out to find a Dunkin Donuts or something with a public restroom but this was in downtown Hartford and let's just say I'm not one for exploring that area on foot without my husband or a male friend with me. It's a big freaking sports arena; I know for sure there are bathrooms elsewhere that could have been unlocked during lunch.

We were instructed not to talk about the exam after the morning session but during lunch I saw and heard many groups of friends discussing the morning's session in pretty substantial detail. Really, saying "Man, I thought the E&M questions were a real b*tch" is one thing - asking your buddy, "What answer did you get on the question about XYZ?" is another. I thought some of the kids really danced on the line of appropriate discussion of the morning session - yeah, it was over by then, but there was still the PM session to go, and personally I'd have wanted to avoid any appearance of impropriety. I didn't know anyone taking the exam since it's been a while since I finished school, and I kept to myself.

For every one of the stupid sounding rules, I reminded myself that at some point some enterprising individual must have tried to cheat via one of those methods - so there was probably a good reason for having the rules!

Since I was curious about the nature of the security, I did a search and found the NCEES contract with a company called "Caveon Test Security" to audit the exam security and offer improvements. A summary of what they found can be found here http://www.caveon.com/guest_ncees.htm.

It makes a lot more sense to know that they implemented the results of an audit - I was surprised at the thoroughness and completeness of the security measures.

Our proctor looked a hundred years old.

I had a runny nose and had to use a ton of kleenex, I left my used ones on the table and was asked to remove it at an instant (after he touched it with his bare hand... gross)

Plus the proctor was having on-the-job training right on my table, it was hard to focus when he had to be told four times how to check for calculators and the rest of the forms.

We're not up to snuff then. We can usually send it in the gutter by the end of page 1.

and i'd like to give Dleg the contributing nod for his inspirational drinking game thingy. . . :appl:

Back