Tight security?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had never had bathroom proctors before, but now that you mention it, there was always a lady loitering by us. I have a shy bladder, so it weirded me out.

That is a horrible way to spend the PE exam. Did you take it at Pratt in Brooklyn? Sounds like the neighborhood.
Yup this happened at the Pratt Institute, what made it worse, was I left my personal and business cell phone in the car, my house keys, and my lunch, Luckily I kept my wallet on me. So on top of thinkin the car was stolen, I had no means of communication. I was at the corner of Dekalb and hall using a payphone, hadn't used one in about 5-6 yrs! lol

Yup this happened at the Pratt Institute, what made it worse, was I left my personal and business cell phone in the car, my house keys, and my lunch, Luckily I kept my wallet on me. So on top of thinkin the car was stolen, I had no means of communication. I was at the corner of Dekalb and hall using a payphone, hadn't used one in about 5-6 yrs! lol
At least you had 75 cents in your pocket to use the payphone. (at least it is 75 cents in IL)

Jeez, Luchion, sounds like an awful progression of a truly stressful (by itself) day! I surely hope you get good news on your results after enduring all that, lol.

We had never had bathroom proctors before, but now that you mention it, there was always a lady loitering by us. I have a shy bladder, so it weirded me out.
I don't think we had proctors in the can - course i did my best camel impersonation that day, not needing a piss break either am or pm sessions.

HAHA tell me about it, definitely not the circumstances, you want to be taking a major exam under.
The bathroom proctors had a table setup outside the bathroom....they actually weren't in the can but they were ready to stop you when you left if there was talking.

must...resist...urge...to...take...thread....downhill....

You know, if you had followed Lindeberg's advice, you would have all your keys on a chain around your neck.

must...resist...urge...to...take...thread....downhill....
You know, if you had followed Lindeberg's advice, you would have all your keys on a chain around your neck.
and a coat hanger just incase you had to break into your car.

To the writer who said just leave the cellphone in the car: Many of those of us in New York who were traveling to Pratt for the test take the Subway- No way to leave it there. So, at least in NYC the proctors pass around and collect them before the test warning you will be kicked out if you do not turn it in. They then return them at the end of the day- I see that as a necessary accomodation for the multitudes who take public transit. I only worry during the test about Castle Worldwide's annnounced waiver of liabilty for anything collected.

and a coat hanger just incase you had to break into your car.
AND any silent, non-printing calculator without significant word-processing functions..."in most states"...as well as nomographs and specialty slide rules.

I think it's time for Lindeburg to update the introduction.

To the writer who said just leave the cellphone in the car: Many of those of us in New York who were traveling to Pratt for the test take the Subway- No way to leave it there. So, at least in NYC the proctors pass around and collect them before the test warning you will be kicked out if you do not turn it in. They then return them at the end of the day- I see that as a necessary accomodation for the multitudes who take public transit. I only worry during the test about Castle Worldwide's annnounced waiver of liabilty for anything collected.
I live way uptown manhattan, I was thinking of taking the train but it would have been a hr plus on the train and I had a milkcrate with no wheelcart. Since I was told I would be allowed to park in faculty parking, I figured I would just drive. I got there in 20 mins that morning. But it went down hill from there. I wasnt trying to leave my cellphone with any proctor. So I hid them in the car.

At least you had some change in your pocket to make a call! (or did you call collect)

I live way uptown manhattan, I was thinking of taking the train but it would have been a hr plus on the train and I had a milkcrate with no wheelcart. Since I was told I would be allowed to park in faculty parking, I figured I would just drive. I got there in 20 mins that morning. But it went down hill from there. I wasnt trying to leave my cellphone with any proctor. So I hid them in the car.
What I usually do is take the Long Isalnd Rail Road to Flatbush station. Weather has cooperated with me, so I would make the walk to Pratt. No parking problems for me, the cell phone thing is a drag.

I took the Exam in Maryland and we were only allowed to have one book at a time on our desk!! I thought that this was extremely inefficient for time use and it caused a ton of commotion because people in my area were forced to remove and replace a book constantly.

I never heard of this and was not expecting to have to deal with this issue.

I took the Exam in Maryland and we were only allowed to have one book at a time on our desk!! I thought that this was extremely inefficient for time use and it caused a ton of commotion because people in my area were forced to remove and replace a book constantly.
I've heard others say that. They didn't do anything like that for us, though. I had as many as 10 on my table at a time.

In Raleigh, NC

no restriction on books, a guy taking civil had 4 crates (2x2) on his desk as a wall, plus he had 10+ more under the table.

Although it would not have been a problem for the EE next to me he had 1, yes I said 1, thin ref. manual, and he was confidently done in under 3 hrs both sessions.

Wow we had no restrictions in NYC, thats definitely sucks

In Raleigh, NC
no restriction on books, a guy taking civil had 4 crates (2x2) on his desk as a wall, plus he had 10+ more under the table.

Although it would not have been a problem for the EE next to me he had 1, yes I said 1, thin ref. manual, and he was confidently done in under 3 hrs both sessions.

Wow! I thought I had a lot of books, but I had one crate and 1 backpack full.

Back