This will drive the fracos crazy

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As both a petroleum engineer and hydrogeologist, I get asked about this all of the time from people who have seen Gasland. It drives me nuts.

These studies crack me up. You're injecting, in the grand scheme of things, a minute volume of fluid into an overpressured formation containing liquid & gas phase hydrocarbons. If you had any kind of communication, youre going to find a whole lot of ugliness showing up long before any 'unique' markers, lol. Whatever makes the Gas Landers feel safe I guess :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
What The Associated Press is calling a "landmark federal study" by the Department of Energy monitored fracking fluids for a year that were injected deep underground in wells in western Pennsylvania.
"Ah yes, but did you study it for TWO years???", is what they'll say next.

This is how they fracked Yucca Mountain. Everyone agreed that it was good for two-thousand years. But it wasn't proven good for 10,000 years, so more studies had to be done.

This is how they destroy unwanted projects - with Liberal Environmental Passive Aggression (LEPA?)

Last edited by a moderator:
What The Associated Press is calling a "landmark federal study" by the Department of Energy monitored fracking fluids for a year that were injected deep underground in wells in western Pennsylvania.
"Ah yes, but did you study it for TWO years???", is what they'll say next.

This is how they fracked Yucca Mountain. Everyone agreed that it was good for two-thousand years. But it wasn't proven good for 10,000 years, so more studies had to be done.

This is how they destroy unwanted projects - with Liberal Environmental Passive Aggression (LEPA?)
Had a highway project killed that way. They didn't have the budget for the work, so instead of saying they didn't have any money, they changed the design criteria so that we were to design to a 800-yr storm event instead of the 500-yr event. The existing system was only designed for the 100-yr event, and they were ok leaving it untouched, but heaven forbid we improve it...

Back