"This Economy"

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you felt direct impact from "this economy"?

• Yes, laid off

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, no raise

• Yes, salary cut

• No, everything is the same

• Total voters
^ as far as I know, no. did something happen with your job/company?

Job is still okay but as of Friday we're all on salary freezes (10,000 of us). Which really sucks because I had a good review this year so I was thinking I'd be in line for a 5-7% raise. Hopefully they are still planning on paying out bonuses but I doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Job is still okay but as of Friday we're all on salary freezes (10,000 of us). Which really sucks because I had a good review this year so I was thinking I'd be in line for a 5-7% raise. Hopefully they are still planning on paying out bonuses but I doubt it.
I had a good review this year too... any other year it would have gotten me a pretty nice raise. No raises or bonuses this year. But, seeing as how this time last year my department had 8 engineers and now we've got two... I'm just happy to still have a job.

I had a good review this year too... any other year it would have gotten me a pretty nice raise. No raises or bonuses this year. But, seeing as how this time last year my department had 8 engineers and now we've got two... I'm just happy to still have a job.

That speaks very highly of you TX. I'm glad to hear your spamming hasn't gotten in they way of your job performance.

Our division hasn't had major layoffs yet but I suspect they're coming.

Our newly sworn in Gov asked all state agencies this week to cut their budgets by 1% to help out with the void blago created

Finally got word today that there will be raises at my company this year. The merit budget is 3.3%. I am hoping this will put me in the 4-4.5% range, but I won't know until the end of March.

I'm surprised at the 54% "Everything the same" results. In the semiconductor industry, we've had a downturn since 2000 that we really never came out of. We've been going thru lay-offs on-and-off since then. In fact, if you're in Texas here's a good website from the Texas Workforce Commission of upcoming layoffs for Texas companies:

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/svcs/jtpa/warn.html

Your employer won't tell you about upcoming layoffs... due to morale. But the website above will give you some warning.

This year we got pay cuts. We're going to be off (no pay) for one week in the first quarter and another week in the second quarter. At least we'll be off during that time, unlike working the same hours, with a paycut. The company will no longer be matching 401k contributions. They've reduced the amount of vacation time we can carry over to the next year. No bonuses and no raises. People are leaving or being layed off, but not replaced. So those of us left behind are taking on additional responsibilities.

All in all, I'd rather be in this situation, with a job, unlike other companies whose employees are on furlough, with no pay, for who knows how long.

Good luck, rudy. I didn't know things were that bad in your industry. Hope you keep your head above water.

Thank you mary. It's all good. Even as bad as it looks ($ lost last year in bad business venture and job insecurity), God has and continues to bless us. I have a great family, health, and you guys.

Another example of His blessings... Three years ago when the company thought we were in the up swing and thought we were coming out of the bad cycle, my boss put me up for a huge award that is spread out over four years. I got my first installment last year (hmmm.... as i type this.... just realized...... the coincidence.... last year we lost $ in that failed business... that bonus came at a good time). I will get my second installment this year (just in time to cover the mandatory time off without pay). Fortunately, this bonus was awarded years before the announcement of no bonuses, so this year's and future installments are not affected. I am truly blessed.

I work in commercial site development in Georgia. Its been hell since november last year. We've lost approximately 45% of our staff since january. No raises last year and 10% pay cut this year. On a good note we are getting some new projects in the door this month. I hope it keeps up and we've seen the bottom. In any event, it will be a rough 2009 in Atlanta, GA. I just thank my lucky stars I'm still employed at this point and I don't mind the pay cuts as long as I can continue to put food on the table.

I have many friends out of work in the same field. Many have very good degrees from major universities and years of experience.

I'm not sure how to answer this question. I haven't received a raise, but I've only been here for 13 months. I'm not sure how raises work here. My last company did a yearly review in June and raises were applied in July. I don't think we have a set system. Coworkers have told me that you have to go ask for a raise or will never get one. Even a 3% cost of living one. I was debating on when I should go ask, before or after results.

I'm not sure about the raise yet... But things seem to be preceding normally enough in the office. I do believe most of the bonus will be cut.

We did lay off one principal and basically closed that division of the company but I'm not 100% sure that was tied to the recession.

I will be expecting a raise come july since i did get my PE last october.

We just found out today that they are going to pay out 1st quarter bonuses. We are below our sales goals for the year, but we are still remaining profitable.

I'm in manufacturing - 7 or 8 years ago, the company pulled back 7-10% of your paycheck and called it "at risk". You only get it if your division makes it's set goals. We're not even close to making the goals, so that's -10% for me right there...

In addition, they announced in January, that there would be no raises this year.

Just glad to have a job at this point. Hope it stays that way. August / September is usually when my company does cuts and we already know that my plant is losing a business at the end of August - so the clock is ticking. Not a comfortable feeling, being "overhead"...

I'm not sure how to answer this question. I haven't received a raise, but I've only been here for 13 months. I'm not sure how raises work here. My last company did a yearly review in June and raises were applied in July. I don't think we have a set system. Coworkers have told me that you have to go ask for a raise or will never get one. Even a 3% cost of living one. I was debating on when I should go ask, before or after results.
How large is your company - human resources *SHOULD* have some formula to apply if your company is of any notable size. I would start with HR and then move onto your supervisor since your raise/merit should be tied with performance evaluation.

Don't be afraid to ask questions - it is in a company's nature to run someone over if they don't put up a fight. Psychology says if you roll over once .. you will continue to roll over. It is an unfortunate truth in today's working world.

I will be expecting a raise come july since i did get my PE last october.
Pay raises are generally linked to increased job responsibility/duties - try to link the raise with increased performance/expectations not just because you obtained your P.E. license.

We just found out today that they are going to pay out 1st quarter bonuses. We are below our sales goals for the year, but we are still remaining profitable.
Congrats. :)

I'm in manufacturing - 7 or 8 years ago, the company pulled back 7-10% of your paycheck and called it "at risk". You only get it if your division makes it's set goals. We're not even close to making the goals, so that's -10% for me right there...
Ugh ... unfortunately I think MANY more companies will be moving towards this type of system since it makes sense from an operating perspective. There are pros and cons .. but as you indicate .. more cons for YOU since you are in a business sector that just isn't doing well regardless of how YOU perform.

In addition, they announced in January, that there would be no raises this year.
Just glad to have a job at this point. Hope it stays that way. August / September is usually when my company does cuts and we already know that my plant is losing a business at the end of August - so the clock is ticking. Not a comfortable feeling, being "overhead"...
I hope it gets better for you .. and so many others of us that are getting pinched in these trying times. :)

JR

No raises for us either. I was the last one to get my evaluation and by then the coal market had went with the economy. I was the only one to not get a raise since my eval was pushed back from October to February. My bosses seemed to unload in my eval. They said I was doing a great job and they appreciated me, but things were going to get bad, that we were just seeing the start, and it would last awhile, and that people were oing to end up in bread lines. Talk about depressing. Then last week they sent out a memo stating no annual raises and hopefully no laid offs but they didn't know what would happen. They also tried to justify some new equipment they bought. They laid off two at our sister office, which is the first ever for our 20 yr old company. I just hope the coal market picks up, so our permitting will and I can keep my jpb.

I'm surprised at the 54% "Everything the same" results. In the semiconductor industry, we've had a downturn since 2000 that we really never came out of. We've been going thru lay-offs on-and-off since then. In fact, if you're in Texas here's a good website from the Texas Workforce Commission of upcoming layoffs for Texas companies:http://www.twc.state.tx.us/svcs/jtpa/warn.html

Your employer won't tell you about upcoming layoffs... due to morale. But the website above will give you some warning.
That's no where near a complete list... I know lots of people (including myself) who were laid off in TX and our companies are not on the list. I think maybe that list is only the companies who file info w/ unemployment before they lay people off... which makes things easier for their HR people (they only have to fill out one form for everyone rather than individual forms for each employee). Most companies don't bother.

As for the results of this poll... it started in January. At that point, I probably voted "everything the same". Now, I can't change it.

How large is your company - human resources *SHOULD* have some formula to apply if your company is of any notable size. I would start with HR and then move onto your supervisor since your raise/merit should be tied with performance evaluation.
Don't be afraid to ask questions - it is in a company's nature to run someone over if they don't put up a fight. Psychology says if you roll over once .. you will continue to roll over. It is an unfortunate truth in today's working world.
We are a small company. About 30 employees. We don't even have a company manual. Many people have requested they do one, but they say it's in the works. I hear it's been in the works for over 2 years. Many employees (me included) have asked for yearly reviews. They are working on that too.

You Load 16 Tons and What Do You Get?

Of course, you get more than just three households of electricity from 16 tons of coal. Here are some other approximate results from 16 tons of coal that might interest you:

* Three hours of labor: The U.S. coal mining industry directly employs over 80,000 people. The production rate for each employee is a little over six tons per labor hour, so 16 tons represents less than three hours of labor.
* 37 tons of carbon dioxide: Carbon dioxide emissions average about 2.3 pounds per kWh delivered. For 16 tons of coal representing 32,000 kWh of electricity delivered, that's 74,000 pounds (or 37 tons) of carbon dioxide produced. Note that there will be variation in this number depending on the carbon content of coal and electric losses assumed from the generator to delivery. The reason a ton of coal produces multiple tons of carbon dioxide is because during combustion the carbon atom (with an atomic weight of 12) unites with two oxygen atoms (with an atomic weight of 16) to form carbon dioxide, having an atomic weight of 44. To give you perspective on volume, 5 tons of carbon dioxide would occupy an Olympic size swimming pool. Despite such voluminous emissions, the carbon dioxide content in air near the earth's surface is less than 0.04 percent.

* Two tons of fly ash. U.S. coal fired power plants produce about 120 million tons of ash, while burning just over one billion tons of coal annually, or roughly 1.2 tons of fly ash is produced per 10 tons of coal. Over 40 percent of resulting fly ash is put to a beneficial use such as concrete applications, and the fly ash consists largely of aluminum, silicon, iron, and carbonate oxides.

* 0.002 pounds of mercury. U.S. coal power plants emit about 50 tons of mercury per year compared to over a billion tons of coal consumed.
JR

Back