"This Economy"

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you felt direct impact from "this economy"?

• Yes, laid off

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, no raise

• Yes, salary cut

• No, everything is the same

• Total voters
How long does unemployment last now? It was 6 months when I got laid off, but they extended it to nine months after 9/11.
In California you can get about 19 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I was talking to an architect this weekend who got laid off about a year ago. He gets almost $600 a week for unemployment and doesn't have to do shit. That isn't bad money considering he can cut grass and do other things to bring in some extra $$$.

Actually, I was talking to an architect this weekend who got laid off about a year ago. He gets almost $600 a week for unemployment and doesn't have to do shit. That isn't bad money considering he can cut grass and do other things to bring in some extra $$$.
Which state is this? I'm pretty sure that in California the maximum benefit is $450 a week, out of which you pay taxes. If you make money either you have to do it under that table, which is illegal, or they deduct it from your benefit.

But, assuming this $600 is correct, would you want to live on that after taxes? $31,200 a year? If so, you should be living it up on your current salary. Certainly no need to strike out to med school.

He's shining you on, chuck. I can tell you from experience that SC unemployment is limited to $239/week maximum. And, any money you bring in cutting grass, etc., is supposed to be reported so it can be offset in your check.

Remember that architects are not good with math or numbers. He probably believes that the four hundred and some dollars he recieves is a million bucks.

It appears that our company has reinstituted merit raises this year. I've never had one below 6% so I'm hoping it'll come in somewhere around there. We usually find out by the end of February. Waiting with restrained optimism.

Do you think Ebay is taking some of the pawn shops business?

I'm sure it is. Ebay fetches asinine prices, whereas pawn shops won't take anything they can't make a buck on.

As an aside, I miss the old ebay, before it's popularity blew up. I got some KILLER deals on car parts back in the day.

Back