Things to do in Orlando

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ I think the space center is about 1.5 hour drive from Orlando. A couple of us were at a conference in Orlando and we took a side trip over to Kennedy.
Space center is at Cape Canaveral just north of Cocoa Beach. You could get there in under an hour from the International Airport.

There are a good amount of wetlands in the St Johns River area east of Orlando and I would guess that there are probably airboat rides available. Especially if you are here in the wet season. (June-Nov.)

I would say that if you are looking for a theme park with good rides Islands of Adventure is the only way to go. After visiting places like Cedar Point in Ohio the Disney rides are all pretty tame. With the slight exception for space mountain where the best part is that it is dark the whole ride.

My sister went to gator land and said that it was pretty much just gators.

Being a space nut, I would probably pony up for a rental car for the day and go to the space center. You could get one just for that day and it would probably only cost you 30 or 40 bucks for an econo car at the airport. Just take 528 east to the exit for Titusville and the space center.Signs will get you the rest of the way there.

There are a good amount of wetlands in the St Johns River area east of Orlando and I would guess that there are probably airboat rides available. Especially if you are here in the wet season. (June-Nov.)
There are indeed. If you wanted to head that way through Kissimmee there's plenty of misc. goofy stuff to do there on your way to/from, i.e. go-carts, putt-putt, shopping

With the slight exception for space mountain where the best part is that it is dark the whole ride.
OK I'm going to show even more geekiness now... I was at Disney World for what was basically "Physics Day" for high schoolers in Florida, so I got to ride Space Mountain with the lights on! (I also went to Busch Gardens Tampa on a Physics Day...)

I'd say Space Mountain was scarier with the lights on because it was even more cramped than I had imagined. I wish I had a digital camera back then so I could share the pics. We also saw some of their visual tricks in the Haunted Mansion and other classic rides. It was actually a really cool and educational tour.

Obviously I can't say for sure, but Mission Space has got to be the closest you can get to space travel without leaving the planet...it is a pretty wild ride (or a tamed down version for you though I will say, do not, I repeat, DO NOT, ride it twice in a row.
I've already mentioned I'm a fan of all things space related, so I was excited about and enjoyed the Mission Space ride at Epcot. The only bad thing was I had a bad case of vertigo afterwards, so I don't know if I want to do that to myself again. I guess my body handles thrill rides better than simulator spinning rides. (For those that don't know, they use centrifuges to simulate the intense g-forces of lifting off). so if you think you might get motion sickness, ride it last!

Latest posts

Back