There's something seriously wrong with Bill Nye

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem so many celebrity's face is that after years of being told how great they are they begin to equate fame with intellect.

The man has a BS in mechanical engineering but because he is the "science guy" people are asking him about the climate. Perhaps we can get the actor who portrays Sheldon Cooper to weigh in on it as well. 
Point noted but regardless of his degree, if he, or anyone else, has taken sufficient time to properly research the topic and form an informed opinion based on the data available, then it's not an issue for him to opine on the issue.

Point noted but regardless of his degree, if he, or anyone else, has taken sufficient time to properly research the topic and form an informed opinion based on the data available, then it's not an issue for him to opine on the issue.
I absolutely agree with you. After re-reading my post I realize I wasn't as clear as I should have been. The issue I see isn't with celebrities having an opinion on a topic. It's the celebrities that want people to give weight to that opinion not based on intelligence, education, degrees in the field or research conducted but based solely on the fact that they are a celebrity. What comes to mind is the old phrase "I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV and you should try...."

Back