The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a half marathon is a fun distance, its the full 26 that makes your knees want to kill you in your sleep, well pretty much every bone & joint in your body ;)

my old Atlanta running mate got into those ultra marathons, like 100 miles + . that is a huge no thank you......

My body worked in reverse the day after the marathon. The training involved was stupid. Half marathon is a beautiful distance. 15K is also a pretty fun distance. 

My body worked in reverse the day after the marathon. The training involved was stupid. Half marathon is a beautiful distance. 15K is also a pretty fun distance. 
tumblr_inline_mm2u134zXZ1qz4rgp.gif

I'm a big fan of 15k's and half marathons!

@kevo_55, I was runner 4, and ended up running my legs at approximately noon on Friday, 9:30 pm Friday night, and 6:55 am Saturday morning. I actually got pretty lucky with my times, as I didn't have one in the middle of the night. That doesn't mean I got that much sleep, however! Approximately seven hours of sleep between Thursday night and Saturday morning.  Then I slept a solid 11 hours Saturday night in a teardrop trailer in the front yard of the place where a friend of ours is living. It was awesome.

@knight1fox3, hook me and my fiance up with your friend(s)! We'll gladly run with him/her/them at your local one. ;)

I have reached the point in my training plan that happens every time I get about here where I just don't want to run anymore. It'll be temporary, but the five this morning felt like a slog. Four-ish weeks left. 

@leggo PE, What running watch did you end up buying?

I'm looking into get into the Garmin family.

How is the battery life on the one you bought?

@leggo PE, What running watch did you end up buying?

I'm looking into get into the Garmin family.

How is the battery life on the one you bought?
I still like the Samsung Gear Fit 2. Good for not only running, but dozens of other activities. I like that I can stream music directly from it (4GB storage) to my wireless headphones and don't need my phone. Battery life lasts all week on a single charge. :thumbs:

@kevo_55 I ended up with the Garmin Forerunner 235, and my fiance has the VIvoactive 3. The battery life on mine way eclipses the battery life on his. I run it for about 16 or 17 hours a day, using it actively for about 1.5 hours of biking 3-4 a week and runs (let's say 45 min to 1:15 in duration) 2x a week, take it off and turn it off at night, and charge it maybe once a week? I feel like my fiance is charging his Vivoactive a couple of times a week (granted, he also uses it with more connectivity with his phone).

I quite like mine for my bike commutes and running, and I think I can do other activities on it too (though I don't). In terms of looks, it's much sportier looking than the Vivoactive, which is much more like a smart watch to me. The Forerunner 235 can receive texts if you want it to, but that's about it, I think. In any case, I use it for my workouts and quite like it, and in fact have transitioned into using it as my full-time watch (I have gotten the occasional comment along the lines of, "Um, are you about to do a triathlon or something?" since it looks so sporty, but that doesn't bother me).

The only drawback I'd say I have with the Forerunner 235, having now used it consistently for about 9 months, is the heartrate monitor. I got the one that has the heart rate thing included in the watch, and what that means is it has a raised bumped on the backside of the watch face that pretty much always leaves a mark on my wrist. The heart rate monitor in the Vivoactive 3 is not raised and thus, I don't think that my fiance has this issue at all.

The Vivoactive 3 is much sleeker looking and my fiance has gotten compliments on it as a watch. He really likes it in terms of its capabilities, and uses it for bike community (1 hour) 5x a week, two runs around the same duration as me, and perhaps a long bike ride (anywhere from 20-40 miles) 1x a week. He's definitely actively using it more than I am, but even so, I've read the battery life of the Forerunner 235 is better overall in direct comparison.

One thing to note is that that Garmin app seems to have more capabilities when being used on an Android vs. and iPhone. I have an Android, fiance has an iPhone, I do have a few more metrics available in the app, but it's not a big deal either way.

Hope this helps!

Oh also, neither my fiance nor I listens to music while running or biking, so I'm not sure what the capabilities of Garmin's watches are. I am fairly confident the Forerunner 235 doesn't have that ability, though the Vivoactive might.

Doesn't have to be music either, can be books on tape or whatever blog content. Makes for more interesting activity when not in a city surrounding. :thumbs:

Thanks for the info you two!

I'm looking at the Garmin Vivoactive 3. I'm unsure of the music version of it or just the standard one for right now.

KF's Samsung is maybe $75 cheaper though.

Tough decisions!!

I got back into the running thing this past Monday.  Hadn't run in the past three years or 30 pounds.  Felt like a sloppy 2.2 mile run.  Tuesday morning I awoke with a heaping of soreness soufflé.  Didn't run yesterday, but ran this morning.  Only 1.8 miles this time with a good amount of walking.  I really need to lose the weight to feel better in the running arena. 

:DV:

Probably shouldn't start running after 3 years by running 2 miles. Try the couch to 5k program or something like that.  Start off very slow with only brief runs (like 1 minute) and walking in between. I am on a return to run program given to my by an Army physical therapaist, and the first week is jog (nto run) 1 minute, walk 5 minutes, x 5 for 30 minutes.  The next week is 2 min jog, 4 min walk, and so on. Every other day, no consecutive days, and repeat a week if you don't feel like you nailed it.  You're just asking for an injury running that much from the start. No matter how fit you are in other forms of exercise.  Running dishes out a beating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a half at the end of September. 

I recently splurged on the Forerunner 935 and I am very pleased with it. I had been a long-term 405 user, but one died on me and I gave up on them for awhile. I need to be able to run GPS for 15+ hours on a single charge, so this one was the winner. I charge it once every 9 days or so and it's my everything tracker, plus it's attached to my phone. I forgot how much I like seeing my fitness data. 

Oh crap, thanks for the reminder that I have a half in 2.5 weeks... Jeez, all the traveling I've been doing has made me completely lose track of the fact that it's almost the end of August.

I've got a half at the end of September. 

I recently splurged on the Forerunner 935 and I am very pleased with it. I had been a long-term 405 user, but one died on me and I gave up on them for awhile. I need to be able to run GPS for 15+ hours on a single charge, so this one was the winner. I charge it once every 9 days or so and it's my everything tracker, plus it's attached to my phone. I forgot how much I like seeing my fitness data. 
if you are on a bike you should be able to keep one of those battery backup chargers somehweres? - I throw one in my backpack on long hikes - the GPS on the Fenix5 can eat up some battery life but have never tested it more than around 8 hours

Back