The Pet Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if the video will work, but we lost our Rex.  VT used to talk to him on the phone and call him sexy Rexy.  I'm not going to lie.  It was seriously one of the hardest decisions I've ever made in my life, but what do you tell your dog when he can't understand what is happening to him? Ana isn't doing so well, and we applied to adopt at the humane society but it's so hard to not feeling like I'm replacing him.  I'm just so worried that after 10 years she needs that sort of companionship.  This is twice now in a matter of a year I've had a pet die in my arms.  I feel horrid.

View attachment New video_Medium.mp4

Not sure if the video will work, but we lost our Rex.  VT used to talk to him on the phone and call him sexy Rexy.  I'm not going to lie.  It was seriously one of the hardest decisions I've ever made in my life, but what do you tell your dog when he can't understand what is happening to him? Ana isn't doing so well, and we applied to adopt at the humane society but it's so hard to not feeling like I'm replacing him.  I'm just so worried that after 10 years she needs that sort of companionship.  This is twice now in a matter of a year I've had a pet die in my arms.  I feel horrid.

View attachment 10909
So sorry to hear of this and for you loss EG. Our furry friends are never with us long enough. But hopefully you can take comfort in knowing that you certainly gave him a good life.

I wish there was something I could say that would help you with your loss. I can only hope that you and Ana can find solace in the love and time you shared with Rex and extend the same to whomever you decide to add to your family. 

were they both German Shepards? ( I cant get the vid to play on the work PC) but my BIL had two German Shepards, when one died the other one went really crazy until they ended up taking a dog from a family member who was moving out of the country - but they said it did wonders . Must be something for that breed? I am  not old enough to remember but my parents had a German Shepard when dad was in the navy and it was so protective of us when dad was out at sea he would barely let dad inside the house when he came back (or so I was told).

Very sorry for the loss. our dog seems to age exponentially every day and its sad watching her not be able to walk more than about a mile or so anymore, where she used to run an easy 7 miles at a time..

EG:  I'm so sorry to hear this.  My most sincere condolences.  I share your pain as I miss my pals every day.

Don't think of getting a new dog as a "replacement" as every one of them are irreplaceable.

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that, EG. Losing a pet just plain sucks. Sending you and the family my love!

View attachment 10909
I still feel like there's never a "wrong time" to bring in a new pet after one's passing.  I think we underestimate just how lonely certain animals can feel.  When we first got Ursala, she had never been alone in her life - from birth, to the track kennel, to the fosters.  Then suddenly, she was all alone in the house.  She would cry and whine at night, and would break out of her metal crate and chew up the blinds from the separation anxiety, even though she'd act totally fine if you were in the room with her.  When we adopted her sister, all of that went away instantly.  If your other pet seems out of sorts when you're there, just imagine how they may be feeling when you're not.

Lady Squaretaper and I got this little black kitty after our first black kitty succumbed to cancer. We weren't even really looking, but one day at the local Petsmart he was there, locked eyes with us and, long story short, weaseled his way into his new sweet digs. Here he is having a "moon landing with Squaretaper Doggo.

pets.jpg

Lady Squaretaper and I got this little black kitty after our first black kitty succumbed to cancer. We weren't even really looking, but one day at the local Petsmart he was there, locked eyes with us and, long story short, weaseled his way into his new sweet digs. Here he is having a "moon landing with Squaretaper Doggo.

View attachment 11025
How long before the cat kicks the dog off the dog bed?

its funny how you can introduce a kitten to an older dog and they usually become life long friends, but if you try and do that with an older cat = FAIL..

We crate our dog at night and the cat will try and get in there with her..

They're my study buddies for this dang test.
My American Eskimo was at my feet almost the whole time while I was studying for the FE. He died of cancer before I studied for the PE. I missed him being there a lot. Still do actually. 

Back