The Pet Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not about whether it's good or bad for the kitty in our house. It's more about not spreading germs when the toilet gets flushed.
There is an argument to be had there, for sure, especially if someone in your house is an active carrier of cholera (like a 0.00000001 percent chance). Otherwise keep in mind we ARE talking about creatures that lick their own buttholes.

WTF?!?! Why do our stupid fish keep dying?

Couple weekends ago we went up to the fair/community picnic.  The three boys each "won" a goldfish, i.e. stupid b!tch running the game decided to give them each a fish cause they each spend about 5 bucks.  Next day I found an aquarium on CL that had all the stuff with it.  Needless to say, the little disposable fair fish lasted about as long as they usually do so we went to Petsmart and got four replacements.  Two of those already died and the third looks like it's on its way.  They replaced the two dead ones, but now one of those was dead this morning.  Had them test the water and the girl said it was good, but I doubt someone working a min. wage job at Petsmart has an Environmental Science degree.

assume you have a filter and put in the chlorine remover stuff?

usually goldfish are hardy - can you put them someplace else for a few days and let the tank "run" for a few days before adding them back in?

Also I was always told plants help out.

But maybe the fish tank was used for something in its previous life that is making the water bad? 

Guy had fish in it before.  Put water conditioner in and under gravel filter was running for about a day before any fish went in.  The "goldfish" or whatever crap fish they give out at fairs never made it long enough to try the aquarium.  They were replaced with 3 tropical fish of some kind and 1 algae eater from Petsmart.  Algae eater #2 is the one that just went tits up this morning.

Sad times at the MS farm.  Our latest canine addition killed one of our chickens.  Likely not in a predatory fashion, but likely just being playful and dumb.  He's a lab mix and a pain in the ass.  

Wife and I are starting the low carb thing so I actually had thought about doing a small chicken coop in the backyard for the supply of fresh eggs, but having 3 giant buffoons in the house is a big concern.

well you can get another chicken for like a dollar I think?
Wife talked to a few people in a Tractor Supply store this last weekend in a more rural part of this area.  One man she talked to gave away 12 chickens a few days before... silkies... one kind she wants.  And who WOULDN'T want this?

White-Silkie-2190-L.jpg

Wife talked to a few people in a Tractor Supply store this last weekend in a more rural part of this area.  One man she talked to gave away 12 chickens a few days before... silkies... one kind she wants.  And who WOULDN'T want this?

White-Silkie-2190-L.jpg
waaaaaaaanttttttttttt

It may taste cuter.  What if it tasted like every day chicken, but had the texture of cotton candy (sans stickiness)?

I think those are also called bantam chickens? my grand parents used to have those but mostly just used for eggs - don't recall eating them to be honest..

Back