"the other board" Sucks!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought that the other disciplines had different authors. I thought Lindeburg had civil and maybe another.

I could be wrong.

OK, I went over 'there' to check, his name is on the MERM, Enviro, and ChemERM, but James Kamm, PhD is on the ME equations manual, and Alan Williams, PhD, SE, SECB, C.Eng is on the Structural, so I guess you are pretty close.

Yeah, I think I wouldn't have passed the exam without the CERM. And I still use it for work every now and then. It's a great book.

But the PE Passing Zone was just plain dumb.

More or less it is an open forum where they give you a certain schedule to go by and study for the upcoming PE test. It is recommended that you follow the schedule they give you. They give you a few questions of the week that are not in the problems for the CERM or MERM or whichever exam book. If you have questions about the review problems you can ask them for help. It is two PE that specialize in the various disciplines.

Overall I found that the schedule was way to fast (3-4 chapters a week) and that the review or help from the PE that monitor the forum was useless. Everything was very generic and didn't really help you much if you didn't understand the content of the chapters. You had to study on your own. The schedule was nice to have in front of you but did little to keep me on track. Once you fall behind you might as well give up cause catching up is not that easy to do. Plus you have to pay $150 just to join no matter how much you use it.

The biggest problem is that the only people on the site are the ones studying and the PE's monitoring the site. The PE's also have other jobs and leave for weeks at a time and leave you there with just yourself and the other people studying at the time.

I think it is a waste of time and money. It didn't help me one bit but that was just my experience. Maybe it was helpful to someone else but I stopped going after the 3rd week. That and I found this site which was so much more helpful. So I have to agree with TXengrChick (ok and everyone else) with :sux:

CERM was worth every penny for me too. I must admit.
I use it pretty frequently as well. I wish they would offer a PDF version - would make it A LOT more useful in my day-to-day business if I could keyword search or extract pages to mark-up and include in reports.

JR

The biggest problem is that the only people on the site are the ones studying and the PE's monitoring the site. The PE's also have other jobs and leave for weeks at a time and leave you there with just yourself and the other people studying at the time. :sux:
Yes. And the other issue I had, if you fall behind they don't allow you to ask questions about past topics. You can only ask about the chapters that are on the study schedule at that time. Then the last week you can ask all other questions. It's outrageous. Even if you stay with the schedule you might have other questions at times and can't ask them. Ridiculous.

I signed up for the FE Passing Zone the year before too and found it somewhat better. They gave us a lot more tips and answered all questions. But for the PE it's just plain useless.

somebody was naughty... Mr. Lindeburg doesn't like people who say mean things about him, his books, or his review courses

Mr. Lindeburg doesn't even like constructive criticism. He snivels over the littlest things.

Back