The Lawnmower Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got an old Lawn Boy brick top that I picked outta someone's trash 6 or 7 years ago. I rigged the switch for over 5 years and then replaced that $2 part.

Easiest machine I've ever owned.

I have a Husqvarna rear wheel drive self propelled with a 5.5 Hp Honda engine on it that I bought back in 2004 and it starts every time on the first pull. I have never had to fix anything on it.

Capt, I also have a Stihl blower and weedeater/edger and started having problems getting them to crank when we started getting Ethanol gas. A few months ago I switched over to non-ethanol gas for my lawn equipment and haven't had a problem since.

Look at http://pure-gas.org/ to find ethanol free gas near you. I have to drive 20 miles round trip to get it but it's worth it. I love explaining that to the dipshits that support ethanol. "I waste at least a gallon of gasoline to go buy two gallons of ethanol free gas so I don't have to spend 2 hours cleaning carburetors every time I let my lawn equipment sit unused for two weeks."

I'm not a big fan of self propelled. Just something more to break, IMO.
You do a few acres with out it... I enjoy the fact that I can just walk behind it and not push the thing the entire time... I really need a riding mower for our yard...
If I had to cut a "few acres" I'd own a rider without question.

I have a Husqvarna rear wheel drive self propelled with a 5.5 Hp Honda engine on it that I bought back in 2004 and it starts every time on the first pull. I have never had to fix anything on it.

Capt, I also have a Stihl blower and weedeater/edger and started having problems getting them to crank when we started getting Ethanol gas. A few months ago I switched over to non-ethanol gas for my lawn equipment and haven't had a problem since.

Look at http://pure-gas.org/ to find ethanol free gas near you. I have to drive 20 miles round trip to get it but it's worth it. I love explaining that to the dipshits that support ethanol. "I waste at least a gallon of gasoline to go buy two gallons of ethanol free gas so I don't have to spend 2 hours cleaning carburetors every time I let my lawn equipment sit unused for two weeks."
you've got to love it. MA isn't even on the list.

In that case, how about a reel mower? I know a couple people that use them, and you don't have to worry about putting gas in them. Plus they're pretty simple with fewer parts to break.
I looked at Fiskar Momentum, but it is extremely pricey and it doesn't sound like it does well with bahaia, blackberries, and assorted weeds.

I'm not a big fan of self propelled. Just something more to break, IMO.
You do a few acres with out it... I enjoy the fact that I can just walk behind it and not push the thing the entire time... I really need a riding mower for our yard...
If I had to cut a "few acres" I'd own a rider without question.
I'd use an L-model Gravely. That's what I used to use, from the time I was twelve or so until I moved out. Then Dad got a riding lawn tractor. Then he got a ZTR riding mower.

Chuck, I hear you on the gas, but I use it frequently enough so that isn't a problem, then burn through all the fuel when I use it the last mow of the season. Worked OK so far, but thanks for the link.

Changed the title to reflect all mowers...

The only suggestion I would make is to get a high wheel mower. They seem to roll a lot better and are easier to push around.
I wondered about that. Are they really that much easier to push?

I kinda thrown with the whole Honda/B&S decision. Current mower has 14 years of reliable service, but I hear the new B&S are kinda iffy on quality. I know Honda makes good stuff.

A lot of the complaints I'm reading in reviews are clearly fuel related issues...

correct me if I'm wrong but the big box store run-of-the-mill lawn mowers (murray, craftsman, troy-bilt, etc.) seem to have B&S motors. Thier smowblowers tend to be Tecumseh. Teh higher end Lawn-Boys, Toro, Hondas, use their own motors (or motors built for their machines).

IMHO, for typical one house residential use the big box stuff works just fine and it's not worth the premium one pays for the "better quality" machines.

I bought a troy built (I think, it was from lowes) about 8 years ago. It has a Honda motor. It was less than $200 and starts on the first or second pull every time, with very little (really no) maintenance.

In that case, how about a reel mower? I know a couple people that use them, and you don't have to worry about putting gas in them. Plus they're pretty simple with fewer parts to break.
I had one of these for a while and they work fine if you have a beautifully manicured lawn that you get to mow ever 3-4 days. If you have weeds or tall grass they can be a pain in the ass.
I got one too, used to use it around the landscaping at old house, now I use it for the backyard. If what you're mowing is taller than the reel's radius, than yep, you're just wasting time. And if you have lots of trees, you really got pick up any / all debris before mowing. But for the tiny size of my backyard it does ok. I've used it to do the whole yard before too, so its nice to know I have a manual backup should the cordless go belly-up.

I have a rechargeable mower by Worx. Got it from A-zon. Costs about as much as gas mower & is as heavy too. But it works great. My lot is roughly 100 x 100, and it takes me maybe 45 min to cut the grass, of which I can usually get two cuttings from a single charge - depending on how thick / tall the grass is. Anyways, I've had it a couple years w/ no probs & practically zero maintenance other than charging & blade sharpening.
How long have you had it? Battery life and replacement cost seem to be an issue.

I should note that i have for the most part passed the lawn mowing duties to my 12 year old, soon to be 13.. I did the first lawn mowing of the season cause he sprained his knee playing baseball... but for the most part its his problem now :D All my neighbors have healthy age appropriate kids to be mowing the grass but they all hire someone to mow there grass, such a waste of money in my opinion... I dont like ethanol, for my boat, but I cant see it becoming a problem for lawn mowers, chain saws, etc??... I have a 48 gallon tank on the boat, and while the marina sells pre treated 10% ethanol gas, its $5.10/ gallon at the lake, so once every month or maybe twice I just pull it out of the water and fill it up at racetrac and add the ethanol treatment before it goes into winter storage mode.. but i havent worried to much about the ethanol during regular use during the summer..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a rechargeable mower by Worx. Got it from A-zon. Costs about as much as gas mower & is as heavy too. But it works great. My lot is roughly 100 x 100, and it takes me maybe 45 min to cut the grass, of which I can usually get two cuttings from a single charge - depending on how thick / tall the grass is. Anyways, I've had it a couple years w/ no probs & practically zero maintenance other than charging & blade sharpening.
How long have you had it? Battery life and replacement cost seem to be an issue.
3 yrs now. Yeah, I see to replace the batt is 3 figs plus! Its a 24 volt lead acid, I don't know what the usable life of it is, but so far so good (crosses fingers). That includes keeping it (mower & batt) in an uninsulated shed in the winter too. It is really nice not having to dick w/ gas & assoc maintenance, or worry about a frickin electric cord though.

I have a couple of mowers, not one of them electric (coal). Yard is way too big for one of these little whirling dervishes. If you maintain your mower, be it electric or gas or even propane, they will last. You can modify a B&S 3.5 mower engine easy enough to run on propane, I would recommend twin cylinders so you can switch between them when the cylinder begins to freeze up and you loose pressure.

I bought a troy built (I think, it was from lowes) about 8 years ago. It has a Honda motor. It was less than $200 and starts on the first or second pull every time, with very little (really no) maintenance.
I bought my Craftsman mower five years ago for $160. The only maintenance I've done to it is fill it with gas.

I bought a Husqvarna with a 5.5 Hp Honda engine 8 years ago. It's a good mower and starts on the first crank every time but it's nowhere near the quality of the Honda mower my parents bought back in 1989. 23 years later that thing still works amazingly well and cranks on the first pull every time. The other thing that is great about the Honda mowers is that some of them have a feature where you can disengage the blade while the motor is still running so you don't have to restart the thing every time you change the bag.

I bought my Craftsman mower five years ago for $160. The only maintenance I've done to it is fill it with gas.
You haven't changed the oil in five years?

Sharpened the blade? Why not just beat your grass with a stick?

Well, I have a 7 year old (cheap) yard machine.

I have never sharpened the blade and never even checked the oil.

It still runs but I can tell it's on it's last legs. I so want to get something better. Side discharge just isn't doing it for me anymore.

Back