The Lawnmower Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many moons ago I boasted of the indestructible awesomeness of my Tecumseh powered Murray that I bought at Service Merchandise in 1994.  The mower outlived the store.  This mower survived four houses, a couple of teenagers, one marriage, and never quit.  This mower went bravely into conditions that would make you say "Dear God Man, have some MERCY on that mower!" and it never quit, never died, never gave up being awesome.

Oh no, no, no, it didn't finally die.  But now too many pieces have fallen off of it and I got tired of having to wrap a rubber bungee around the engine to hold the throttle open every time I mowed.

So a friend gave me her "broken" mower.  $12.51 worth of parts later, and bazinga!, new mower.

Old mower has been retired out back under the deck to rust away in peace.  Good mower.
My neighbor is moving in  couple of weeks.  He's giving me his mower.  I too will retire my trust craftsman with the "ding toed" front wheels.  He won't rust out back though.  There's a guy on our local "freecycle" group that constantly posts looking for running gas-powered anythings.  I'm sure he'll come and take it away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just thinking that the other weekend. I like how the sprayers are now powered too. :thumbs:
I'm not sure what kind of pressure the pump up sprayers work at, but I always though it would be nice if they had valves so you could pressurize them with an air compressor.

The in-laws were getting a new mower so they offered to sell us their "old" one. Zero turn John Deere that was only a couple years old. Would have been nice, but as I was bouncing around the backyard whacking away on roots and branches, I'm glad we didn't get it because it would have too nice for that kind of abuse. 

Well, I think the old Yardman may have finally mowed its last.  The motor still runs fine, but something happened in the middle of mowing a couple weeks ago and it quit moving.  I think the wife was tired of hearing the cursing every time I had to fix it, and she's started a new job not too long ago, so she told me to just go get a new one.  So meet the newest member of the family:

b5051356-4c4a-4e65-8b3e-74aee72a3de3_1000.jpg

Did tons of research and found out the new Cub Cadets are doing really well.  I went ahead and got the GT50 (garden tractor w/ 50" deck) since it comes with the beefier transmission.  Honestly way more than I need for our yard, but I'm thinking the bigger transmission will do a better job of staying alive on the hills in the back yard.  Not a zero-turn, but it's pretty darn close, especially compared to the old mower.

I'll still see if I can't get the old one running again.  Either leave the mower deck off of it and use it for a beater yard tractor to pull the cart around or stick it on Craigslist and try and get $100 for it.

Well, I think the old Yardman may have finally mowed its last.  The motor still runs fine, but something happened in the middle of mowing a couple weeks ago and it quit moving.  I think the wife was tired of hearing the cursing every time I had to fix it, and she's started a new job not too long ago, so she told me to just go get a new one.  So meet the newest member of the family:

Did tons of research and found out the new Cub Cadets are doing really well.  I went ahead and got the GT50 (garden tractor w/ 50" deck) since it comes with the beefier transmission.  Honestly way more than I need for our yard, but I'm thinking the bigger transmission will do a better job of staying alive on the hills in the back yard.  Not a zero-turn, but it's pretty darn close, especially compared to the old mower.

I'll still see if I can't get the old one running again.  Either leave the mower deck off of it and use it for a beater yard tractor to pull the cart around or stick it on Craigslist and try and get $100 for it.
How much did that run you?

Usually it's $2,699 but I'm actually fighting Home Depot about it.  It was marked down 10% at Tractor Supply and then I get another 10% military discount at HD.  Should have gotten me down to $2,186.  The store I was at said I could do one or the other.  Checked the HD policy for the military discount and didn't see anything that says I couldn't have used it so I disputed the difference.  I would have gone right to HD, but I'd rather get the $$$ credited back to my account rather than a $300 gift card.

If he'd have just left the deck on the rider, he could have mowed the whole lawn in the amount of time it took him just to hook that whole contraption up.  Probably took 8 gallons of gas to do it that way too.

Back