The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We grill all our wings outside - they are way better than oven cooking them IMO.

Soak them in a soy sauce for several hours and then almost burn them. I lightly burn the skin on the wings and then toss them in a good wig sixes afterwards and viola!

We never have any left over when we make them...

I'm not as big a fan of grilled wings, though I do like them grilled when they've been marinating in Kikkoman teriyaki sauce.

I really think the key difference Is getting them to the point where they are almost burnt but not burnt if that makes any sense.

When you come out to help me install my lift kit I’ll make us some

Plenty of recipes out there for doing wings in the smoker, but I'm with Supe on this one.  I like my wings crispy and I'm not sure that would happen in a smoker unless you left them in there long enough to turn them in to chicken jerky.

I don't usually make wings at home, because I am lazy and single, but when my mom makes them she twice bakes them?  So they get ultra crunchy.  I do not know if this is a real method or not.

Also...I want to bake/have a huge list I want to try, but our office is still under a deluge of vendor gifts/Christmas/Holiday food in the kitchen...And I don't feel like fighting that.  Right now I'm debating between poppy seed something (I have around 4lbs of the stuff I never used) or a Charlotte royale...which has always been a weird item of interest to me.

I expect a full report!

Maybe even some before and after pictures!!

I wanna bake! @JayKay0914, have you been up to any baking lately?
I actually have not!  BUT I am free this Sunday, something that hasn't happened in a while, so I was planning on taking a stock of what I have in my cabinet and attempt something new with poppy seeds (since I still have a huge amount).  Also!  I have a ton of almonds, some bought and some from a coworker who doesn't like almonds, a bunch of almond paste, as well as other nuts (hazelnuts/walnuts, etc.) for the holidays and making meringue.  So I think I am going to attempt almond cloud cookies or an almond galette and maybe amaretti cookies?  Just so I can get down a few bags.

How about you, @leggo PE?  Anything you've been meaning to try and bake?????

I actually have not!  BUT I am free this Sunday, something that hasn't happened in a while, so I was planning on taking a stock of what I have in my cabinet and attempt something new with poppy seeds (since I still have a huge amount).  Also!  I have a ton of almonds, some bought and some from a coworker who doesn't like almonds, a bunch of almond paste, as well as other nuts (hazelnuts/walnuts, etc.) for the holidays and making meringue.  So I think I am going to attempt almond cloud cookies or an almond galette and maybe amaretti cookies?  Just so I can get down a few bags.

How about you, @leggo PE?  Anything you've been meaning to try and bake?????
I've still gotta attempt the sourdough cinnamon rolls I posted about previously, as well as sourdough bagels (but I haven't decided on a recipe yet, hmm), and I need to bake more sourdough bread this weekend. I'm thinking a whole wheat option this time.

I also want to make some muffins, purely because I haven't made any muffins in too long. But what kind? Preferably lower on sugar and healthier one's... Maybe I'll do the healthy carrot muffins I've done in the past. Those are yummy!

Last edited by a moderator:
@leggo PEWHERE ARE THE FINAL PICS.  WHY IS IT STILL IN PROGRESS.

Also, I have decided that if I don't go to the gym tonight, I have to bake.  No more lounging on the couch enjoying my spare time.  I've got to start doing something with my life, god.
No final pictures because they were pretty much a fail in multiple ways. I'd try the recipe again, but I think my issues began when I didn't prove the dough for long enough before rolling.

Instead, you can have some pictures of my 100% whole wheat sourdough bread.

IMG_20190303_123836.jpg

IMG_20190303_182743.jpg

I might try something next week.  My dad 'donated' a bag of bread flour to me.  Want to do a comp between normal KA flour and KA bread flour.  Might also steal the bad of wheat flour my dad bought as well.  They don't bake, so it'll be a fun experiment.

Also, I am close to running out of flour...and I don't feel like buying my usual huge bag.  Uggggh.  Decisions!

Back