The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen one installed in the middle, it's always one one side or the other. Not sure why. Maybe so it's in line with the frame rails? :dunno:

I've never seen one installed in the middle, it's always one one side or the other.  Not sure why.  Maybe so it's in line with the frame rails? :dunno:
Yep, in line with the frame to distribute the load. Main reason a wrecker won't hook to a trailer hitch; worried about doing damage.

Have a good set of hooks on front of the truck, but then again; it now has front and rear hitch assemblies. It has more pulling options.

I agree that hooks are typically aligned/connected directly to the frame rails, but the Camaro is a unibody. It would depend on the trailer hitch whether or not it's a good connection point. Many trailer hitches, especially the higher classes are welded directly to the frame. Light duty may not be.

IMHO, If you start dragging something eccentrically that wouldn't be the most desirable situation. Best scenario would be a chain/spreader between the two hooks and pull on the chain (even pull to each side). If you pull from one side, someone needs to be inside steering to avoid just dragging everything sideways.

Here's an exploded view of the front of the car. The tow hook would bolt on just inside of where #10 points.

1109161E07-008.JPG

I see alot of cars that have a hook on one side in the front or back that I presume it is just used to pull a car out of the ditch or for a short distance and not intendid to be used as a "whatever you call how a RV might pull a car behind it" ??

I've got tow hooks on my unibody, hasn't been an issue. In fact, on the Mazda, the factory put them there.

Sadly, I've NEEDED to use them :(

^^^ The factory tow hook on my Jetta was on the passenger side. You had to pop off a piece of the front bumper and screw it on.

Shown here at the 0:40 mark

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsGJ3Xowy-s

^^^ The factory tow hook on my Jetta was on the passenger side. You had to pop off a piece of the front bumper and screw it on.

Shown here at the 0:40 mark

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsGJ3Xowy-s
Good video. I have now learned something today. I guess I can start drinking for the evening.

I see alot of cars that have a hook on one side in the front or back that I presume it is just used to pull a car out of the ditch or for a short distance and not intendid to be used as a "whatever you call how a RV might pull a car behind it" ??

That hook is mainly for the original transport from the factory to the dealer as a tiedown point (or on the ship if from overseas). They can be used as a pulling point, but it wasn't their original intent (per a couple owners manuals that I've reviewed). Definately not used for a towbar attachment.

Dex, you'll probably fine adding it. Even if it is just for looks, better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Debating getting a tow hook installed on the Camaro when I take it in to get it's front bumper replaced. This is something more for the track guys, but I like the look. It's only $90, and would be easy to install while the front bumper is taken apart. Thoughts?

Here's a pic (I'm talking about the little red hoop extending from the lower grill):
You'd be the coolest guy in the K-mart parking lot when you and all your buddy's are hangin out with their moms' souped up Civics.

I've seen them and I think they are they used to be fine, but I think it's one of those things that rice burners have kind of ruined for everyone else. They throw them on their crapped out Hondas because they think they look cool.

They're put on the Hondas because the owners don't want to tear up their cheapo body kits when (not if) they breakdown.

The one I ordered is yellow to match the car. Worst case scenario is that I don't like it and end up selling it.

Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some f@ckin' muscle.

Diff swap in the RX7 is done. Posi IRS rear out of a Ford Explorer, 3.73 gears. Axles are a custom piece with Ford parts on the inners, outer CV's are out of a Mazda 626. Bolts into stock RX7 differential location, but the factory subframe had to be modified to accept the 8.8 diff front mounting location, and to reinforce the camber link. Ring gear size increased from 8" to 8.8" with the swap, and rear gear ratios are virtually endless now. Factory RX7 diff has 4.10 and 4.33 only, so I was running out of RPM way too soon and first gear was essentially useless.

^^^ I was going to ask what the stock ratios were in the RX7. Bee has 3.27's (3.45 in the automatics), and have been debating upgrading to the 3.91's (stock in the 1LE package). The biggest downside is that Bee is a daily driver and I can only imagine how much that will kill whatever fuel mileage I already get.

^^^ Broad, generic application of math guess is that your MPG will drop 16.37%. Of course, that takes no consideration into your typical cruising speed, frequency of low speed gear changes, etc...

For the B-Body Impalas, moving from a 3.08 to a 3.73 gear drops fuel economy only marginally (<10%).

It's mixed city, high-speed freeway. I really don't get above 2500rpm when I'm just cruising (commuting, running errands, etc), but I still love really getting on it when I hit on-ramps.

Driving to work, I am either going 80 (2000rpm in 6th gear) or 15mph (1500rpm in 2nd). I know the increased gear ratio will increase my rpm's by ~15%

Since I really don't do any racing with it I don't see the point of the upgrade. It would cost me ~$1200 in parts and labor to do it and a few other minor differential upgrades, plus the decreased gas mileage.

I hate to ruin the automotive thread by posting about my old lady's Prius in here....

But guess whose wife's car needs a new hybrid battery on the 2006 Prius she bought with her own money while I was out of town?

But guess who is lucky as shit it has less than 100k miles on it and Toyota is paying for it?

I don't normally drive it but it was blocking my car yesterday so I drove my kid to school and it just died half way there.. Very odd.. Had it towed to the place and they called a few hours ago to tell us the bad and good news....

I've heard they are around $2500 bucks, when the Prius first came out the story was that the batteries were $5k

Back