The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So driving home from work this evening I had my xterra in 4wd due to the snow storm and I noticed that the trans was slipping a bit. I took it out of 4wd and it stopped. Here's to hoping that all I need is to add some fluid. I'm not that interested in a trans problem.

What year is yours? I have two friends with first gen xterras and they both experience the same thing when switching to 4wd.

2002. Any indication what the issue might be?

I like the Mazda 3 hatch best of all you mentioned, but my likes may be completely different from yours.

My needs would send me towards the CX-5, but I highly recommend you look at the Escape and Terrain, if that's your genre.

CX-5 is my favorite. It will fit my need for a new vehicle to go to work and go kayaking (hobby). Did look at the Explorer and it was my main target before starting the research. But it is a bit pricey for the things you get on it and the residual value is not something to be excited about. Did not look at the Terrain because did not come even close to the Explorer, CRV, and CX5 in the reviews.

I'd put more faith in personal seat time than reviews. Some perfectly acceptable vehicles are pilloried by the automotive press because the 'tech is old' or it doesn't handle like a slot car. Drive em all and see what you like.

Remember, you may not be after cutting edge or 10/10s handling. Heck, a used Equinox or Traverse may be perfect for you.
And I would even say that you should test drive the car you would buy. Don't test drive one car, then buy another just because the dealership doesn't want miles on their stock. Find the one equipped the way you want it and only drive that one. The first 2 Camaros I drove, I hated. The first was a V6 with a Manual trans (because I wanted a manual), and the 2nd was a V8 Manual "test drive" model. The V6 was an absolute dog, because it didn't have the upgraded suspension, brakes, and most importantly the power that the V8 SS had. I wanted a V8 Manual, but the "test drive" car had a sunroof that reduced the headroom too much for my liking and I felt cramped. Once I got behind the wheel of the car equipped the way I wanted, the car felt differently and I bought that one.

So driving home from work this evening I had my xterra in 4wd due to the snow storm and I noticed that the trans was slipping a bit. I took it out of 4wd and it stopped. Here's to hoping that all I need is to add some fluid. I'm not that interested in a trans problem.

What year is yours? I have two friends with first gen xterras and they both experience the same thing when switching to 4wd.

Must be a common issue with those first gens. One of them bought it brand new in 2000, but I don't think he ever got it resolved. I'll ask them to see if they know what the deal is.

Must be a common issue with those first gens. One of them bought it brand new in 2000, but I don't think he ever got it resolved. I'll ask them to see if they know what the deal is.
thanks

This morning on the way in to work, I saw a Cadillac Cimarron complete with wire wheel covers and Tokyo-by-night instrument panel. Body looked straight, and I believe it was a four cylinder.

you mean a Chevy cavalier with leather seats? Weren't they all 4-bangers?

1660512_688415354513443_193901785_n.jpg

Cars and Coffee in our area brings out a mobile dyno all the time...Most hp I've ever seen on it was 698. It was a Cadillac CTS with two baby seats in the back...

Our local C&C is no more. We even made Jalopnik. Some asshat tried doing a burnout leaving the parking lot, got sideways, panicked, and ended up taking out a fire hydrant.

There are a couple C&C groups in the Denver area. They never seem to get much attention as of late simply because the businesses don't like their parking blocked off for a bunch of gear-heads loitering around and drooling on each others' cars.

Yes it is. I started the thread in the STB because I thought it deserved its own thread. I'm amazed that a hole that size could form without some advance warning. So far I'm not buying the generic explanations being told to the media. If the subsurface conditions are so volatile then there should be more precautions taken. Thank god it decided to go during off hours.
http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=22908

Driver's side of roll cage is finished. What a fiasco. My legs, ass, and back are KILLING me from the contortion act I put on all weekend trying to weld everything. I've been on jungle gyms that were easier to navigate.

Back