The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
supe what did that car start out as?

Is the fender swap just a lot of bolting and unbolting? I got a free set of fenders for my jeep where the old ones had rusted out on top.. color matches perfectly but it looks like a shit load of bolts to take off and on.. I havent really looked into it too much, I was gonna tackle it when the weather warms up

It's a 87 Mazda RX7. Those are the stock fenders hacked to pieces, with ABS scoops riveted in place that I made out of 1/8" sheet (wish I had 1/16"). Removing those fenders would typically involve three bolts near the door jambs, 5 or so under the hood, and another 5 or so up in the wheel well that attaches it to the nose. To get at those, you're looking at unbolting the wheel liners too. Me, well, I just cut shit out of the way.

Except the brown interior (mine was black), incorrect rear bumper (its missing the black plastic center insert), and the posi rearend, this is an exact dupicate of my old 73 CJ/4spd Gran Torino Sport.

3K93Jf3Hd5L15G45K7d15f03fc786e2101ed0.jpg

http://daytona.craigslist.org/ctd/3523751769.html

Torinos from that era had serious rust issues in the back half (including the frame where the rear suspension mounts).

Grenaded a u-joint last night on the plow truck. Had to take a grinder to the axle shaft ears to get it apart since they were so deformed. Here's one pic that I quickly took before attacking it with the cut off wheel.

IMG_0080%255B2%255D.JPG

Thankfully there's only chance snow in the forecast; I'll be able to reassemble everything within a couple hours of getting the parts. The search for parts begins.

^^^ Yeah, I was thinking that was a really bad placement for the air intake. Definitely not designed to be driven in anything but short trips (ie 1/4 mile at a time, and trailered to the track).

If you look at the doghouse and shape of that hole cut in the rear firewall, it appears those two scoops on the hood are feeding the carb (although with that 180 dgree reversal in direction, you're losing whatever small ram effect there was).

You'd almost be better off putting the scoop on the roof and tubing the air straight down instead of that layout.

^^^Well, first of all, this person is driving a Corvair...with a flame job, come on.

It's really the ultimate in foreshadowing, though...

^^^Well, first of all, this person is driving a Corvair...with a flame job, come on.

It's really the ultimate in foreshadowing, though...

You're thinking the pre-64 models. The 64s had camber compensators and the 65-ups had an allnew, non swingaxle IRS. The second gens were awesome handlers for the day.

I still thing the second gen 'vair is one of the most beautiful automobiles made.

My dad had two Corvairs, both turbo charged. He always said those things were a blast to drive.

Actual quoe about Corvairs from a guy whose dad owned six of them: "They don't drive very good when your drunk."

Back