The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Focus ST is a very nice vehicle.

I wonder what used SVT Focuses (Focii?) are running today. Those things were swet in their day, although the trannies always worried me, since they were specific to the SVT (And European ST170).

The Focus ST is nice. However, I don't think I could ever spend near ~$30k on a FWD, compact car. In fact, I can't see myself EVER paying that kind of money for ANY car.

^^I'm the same way. Paying cash for used is quite the money saver.

Although the 0% or damn near 0 deals sure do make new things attractive. Especially when they allow it to be spread over so many years (I tend to keep vehicles for a long time).

^That was one of the main reasons I bought a new minivan instead of a used one. I'm planning on keeping it until the wheels fall off, so the low-interest loan for 5 years isn't a bad trade off.

My cars will always (knock on wood) either be something I build or something that is EASILY worked on. My wife's cars requirements have a little higher standard, understandably, as they will always be toting the kiddos.

Although the 0% or damn near 0 deals sure do make new things attractive. Especially when they allow it to be spread over so many years (I tend to keep vehicles for a long time).

The 0% interest isn't really 0%. The interest is just built into value of the loan. It may still be an attractive deal but you have to know the price differential between a cash purchase and the "0%" loan. No such thing as a free lunch.

auto peeps.. Ive replaced the shocks (Front and Rear) on my Durango 2006 with 160,000 miles one them.. It rides and steers so much better but still squeaks like hell? I probably should have bought a bushing replacement kit or something.. Is there anything else that I would need to swap out you think?

The 0% interest isn't really 0%. The interest is just built into value of the loan. It may still be an attractive deal but you have to know the price differential between a cash purchase and the "0%" loan. No such thing as a free lunch.
QFT

auto peeps.. Ive replaced the shocks (Front and Rear) on my Durango 2006 with 160,000 miles one them.. It rides and steers so much better but still squeaks like hell? I probably should have bought a bushing replacement kit or something.. Is there anything else that I would need to swap out you think?

Sway bar bushings / end links. Body / frame mount bushings could probably be replaced as well.

I should have replaced the front ones when I did the front shocks.. those were a pain to get off. you have to remove the control arm to get to the lower nut on the front shocks, which makes a 15 minute job take 30.. .... I guess I can go the wd-40 route ;)

When you're under the car, any handy object becomes a BFH.

My other favorite tool is the crescent-hammer. Much more effective for that purpose than as a wrench.

Fender A complete, with the exception that the radius part will angle in several inches. Need to yank the wheel to fasten it in there from inside the wheel well.

Comment last night via e-mail from the guy who heads the Time Trials for the region - "You're going to make us re-write the Street Unlimited safety rules, aren't you?"

supe what did that car start out as?

Is the fender swap just a lot of bolting and unbolting? I got a free set of fenders for my jeep where the old ones had rusted out on top.. color matches perfectly but it looks like a shit load of bolts to take off and on.. I havent really looked into it too much, I was gonna tackle it when the weather warms up

Back