The 2019 Garden Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the pot's big enough, it'll be fine.  If its too small, you'll usually just end up with a smaller crop.  Carolina Reapers are pretty small peppers, and we got a pretty good yield last year, but when I went to yank the dead one out (has a very woody stem to it) to prep the pot this year, the root ball took up the entire pot.  I'd have never known they'd do so much better in a bigger pot, but there was nothing wrong with those.

My Early Jalapeno's are starting to produce. Won't be long now. I plan on making a bunch of pickled jalapeno rings. 

Everything but my reapers have just about doubled in size already.

^Nor have I. We are supposed to get some snow starting this afternoon through tomorrow night. Last weekend I got some compost, mixed it into our garden, and hand-turned over the soil. I have my FIL tiller, but after replacing the carb on the tiller, gas is coming out of it, due to the float in the carb being mis-adjusted. I didn't have the time to open it up and adjust it, so I decided to just muscle it.

I don't think we've ever grown veggies where my parents are.  Too much clay/silt and not enough sun.  Good potato growing.  I have been helping with weeding/trimming back stuff!  It's the only thing I am good at, lol.  I kill everything else.

Someone in my office did bring in a huge bag of chocolate mint for me to bring to my mom/let her plant.  Hopefully she likes it!

Boyfriend does hydrophonic growing in his basement - he started 6 things of lettuce awhile back. 4 made it. 

We just started more lettuce and some herbs ("I'm an idiot who can't write TIME!", sage, chives, and rosemary).

And then I've started some seedlings in an egg crate: cucumbers, tomatoes, and zucchini. We have green beans we need to start and I want to do strawberries as well. His plot outside is only 4x8 I think? 

He's got the set up to do 12 more plants inside too, he says he'll figure out how to grow asparagus for me. 

I have no green thumb so thoughts & prayers for these poor tomato plants

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, "lettuce".

giphy.gif

@LyceeFruit How did you boyfriend set up his hydroponic?  I've been thinking about maybe dabbling to start doing some leafy green stuff during the off-seasons, but I don't really know where to start?
I will ask him tonight and get back to you. I'm curious too but I have no luck with plants (or space at my place) so... 

@LyceeFruit How did you boyfriend set up his hydroponic?  I've been thinking about maybe dabbling to start doing some leafy green stuff during the off-seasons, but I don't really know where to start?
He says to google "deep water culture" and thats set up below. 

20190510_163119.jpg

Ok... so it isnt me. I've tried to edit my post twice. And it autochanges the herb name to that phrase. Idk what the phrase is even from

Yay!  Thanks @LyceeFruit!  I'll def look into it later this year.  Spring/summer harvest season is just starting now for the farms near me, so I won't have to worry about fresh veggies for a while!  Yay!  Forced veggie consumption due to enrolling in a CSA!
I'm doing a CSA too but still going to attempt to grow things since he has space.

He finally put more nutrients in there on Sunday, after mentioning needing too on like Thursday. It's supposed be around 700 but it was at 250. No wonder some of the lower leaves were brown 

Back