Teen arrested after teachers mistake home made clock for bomb

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
personally, I think everyone has forgotten the actual meaning of the word racist. Believing in stereotypes is technically not racist. The pure definition of racist is someone who feels one race is superior than another, so just because you cross the street in the middle of the night because a group of anyone in a particular race is approaching you doesn't make you racist, it may mean that you believe in a stereotype, or it may mean your just careful.

A lot of stereotypes were developed because of some truth and not all are bad. When someone says cattle rancher, you get an image in your head, but that's a stereotype based on your learning and experience. An environmentalist you may think dirty hippy, an engineer may be a dorky nerdy dude, Jewish people are rich, fat people are sloppy and dirty,... and all those thoughts may offend a person or another, but because the stereotype isn't based on physical feature that is not controllable they seem to be acceptable.

CSB has a point in that we should probably question WHY we are stereotyping, but I truly doubt that anyone on the board actually feels that one entire race is superior to any other.

I see that this "threat to school safety" has been invited to the white house.

When I was in school I took in a recipe I found for nitroglycerin. These days I'd probably be expelled and put in jail. Back then, I had a talking to from the principal that it wasn't appropriate and that was that.

Point is, kids don't always have the greatest judgement, they need some room to make mistakes and learn from them. But society is so hell-bent on being paranoid about everything, a simple youthful indiscretion committed these days can ruin someone's life forever.

Now only if this will help radio shack from going out if business.. We will all be so smart as to make a clock from a $5 kit...

Honestly, I have no problems about them questioning the kid in school for safety reasons. But refusing to let him contact his parents (as a minor) and what sounds as though the police were pushing/interrogating him to sign some sort of confession, coupled with a suspension from school, is both a) completely asinine, and b) rightfully going to get both police and school administration fired.

All the reports say it's a clock but I have yet to see it work.

Not for anything but an alarm clock is essentially the same thing as a timer and the signal that sets off the alarm could easily be used to trigger a detonator, so for all intents and purposes this kid built a bomb it just did not have the explosives installed yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Abolutely, and don't forget the cell phone manufactures because it's pretty common to use cellular technology to remotely trigger explosives.

Especially if they assemble unlabeled bread board components into a breifcase and bring them to schools.

There's a lot of people with a lot of fertilizer in the midwest. Hard to tell if farmer or terrorists...

The regulations governing handling and transport of fertilizers and other constituents of anfo are forever increasing. Talk to those farmers and see wwhat kind of federal regulatory controls they need to satisfy these days. I'll bet you'll hear a LOT of beaocthing. Kind like we used to just go to the airport and get on a plane. Times are a-changing.

Back