Tankless water heaters

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
A friend of mine has family in the Czech Republic and visits often. He confirms what I've heard through the grapevine: tankless water heaters are far cheaper in Europe.

What's the deal? Greedy companies, or obscure but expensive to meet gov regulations? Or something else?

better or "better" always comes with a premium

I've thought about the tankless setup (since I didn't purchase the water heater that's in my house, judging it's age at around 12 years, so I may be buying a new one soon)...

Aren't there tax breaks/etc involved with them?

because everything in Europe is better and more efficient than it is here. Ask any "American".

at least around here it is hard to find a dealer or someone qualified/lisenced to install one. still a novelty type of an item so it will remain expensive until more people start buying them.

how much is one for an average home in the US? It would be nice to always have hot water and save on the ever increasing natural gas bill.

chucktown has some hands on experience with the newer tankless systems. Search here or send him a PM

One word sums up everything - "Green"
:jerkit:
Not a big surprise there.

because everything in Europe is better and more efficient than it is here. Ask any "American".
Yeah, that whole 'everything is better in Europe' attitude always gets to me.

how much is one for an average home in the US? It would be nice to always have hot water and save on the ever increasing natural gas bill.
Last time I looked, about six months ago, it was 3K just for the equipment, not including installation.

Last time I looked, about six months ago, it was 3K just for the equipment, not including installation.

Your numbers are way way off Capt. You can buy the biggest one that Home Depot carries for around $1200. If you buy the outdoor unit the installation cost is minimal and I would say it is something that your average do-it-yourselfer could tackle.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine has family in the Czech Republic and visits often. He confirms what I've heard through the grapevine: tankless water heaters are far cheaper in Europe.
What's the deal? Greedy companies, or obscure but expensive to meet gov regulations? Or something else?
I do not know about the Europe tank-less water heater pricing but even in the US tank-less water heaters prices are different manufacturer to manufacturer and you should compare apple to apple, and prices are depend to type of application and size of water heater. For example see below for 199000 BTU input tank-less water heater pricing for three different manufacturers in the US:

- Noritz 8.4gal/min is about $2400. www.noritz.com (This manufacturer has smaller size for about $800)

- Rheem GT-199PVN is $1000 http://www.rheemtankless.com/content/

- Takagi T-K3 is about $945 http://www.takagi.com/ (This manufacturer has smaller size for about $550)

Just wait until every house has one and in the morning when people go to take a hot shower, it'll brown out the grid because of the elec demand.

Shoot, from Rinnai's own numbers, the tankless heater only would save me 60 bucks over my gas unit per year. That'd take a long time to get a ROI.

Maybe I should put on my black and white horizontal striped shirt, put on a beret and grow a pencil thin mustuche so I can be Mr. Frenchy-frenchman.

not to mention pseudo-european
If it makes anyone feel any better, there are plenty of Europeans that make the same point about the US. ie, in America people work harder for shorter vacations and therefore there are more jobs available.

Mostly it is conservatives lusting over our Capital Gains taxes and lack of welfare/health care system.

Grass is greener on both sides.

Shoot, from Rinnai's own numbers, the tankless heater only would save me 60 bucks over my gas unit per year. That'd take a long time to get a ROI.
You could also calculate in replacement costs.

Typically the first thing to fail (especially in a cheap Water heater) is the tank. With no tank your new tankless system should vastly outlast your water heater tank. Plus if anyone has ever seen the mess that (leaking tank) could make the decision should be easy.

Plus can't you get a big fat a$$ tax break for installing one?

when the power was out a few weeks ago and the rest of the house was starting to get cold, we still had plenty of hot water for a shower from our gas hot water heater.

the neighbors were cold and smelly.

Back