Tankless water heaters

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait, are there people other than Dleg that have water heaters outside? I mean, we have a water main, but it's buried under the driveway and the only part that sticks out is the meter.

Hey now, I don't even HAVE a water heater - took it out 5 years ago after it failed, and never missed the extra $100 a month in electricity that went with it.

Although the last few days have been pretty cold, with no sun heating the pipes in the ground for a week now.... and the wife and the kids hate it, but hey... they're not paying the bills!

I've actually considered these tankless heaters. You can buy made-in and made-for China models here for around $300, but to be honest I am terrified of putting them inside my house. I have some friends who have mounted them on the walls outside of their house, near the bathrooms. I might try that, but then again I might just go for a solar water heater and be done with all of that hassle. Or a big, black plastic tank.... those things work here, too, if you don't mind the pressure loss of going gravity.

I wish someone would come up with an app that would allow me to turn the hot water off to the house when my kids are in there too long... That would be f'n awesome!

I wish someone would come up with an app that would allow me to turn the hot water off to the house when my kids are in there too long... That would be f'n awesome!
Ball valve would work too.

You can adjust shower valve if you have modern scald proof faucet to only allow Luke warm water in their shower. They will hurry.

Mrs RG likes really hot showers... I was thinking if something where I could just roll over on the sofa, grab my iPad and push a button... Not walk. "All the way" down to the basement :)

Mrs RG likes really hot showers... I was thinking if something where I could just roll over on the sofa, grab my iPad and push a button... Not walk. "All the way" down to the basement :)
RG, this sounds like a "first world problem" to me.

Have you tried taping a walkie talkie to the shower and then just yelling, "GET OUT OF THE DAMN SHOWER!" into the other walkie talkie?

Or do this:

Firecracker-In-Shower.gif

Sounds like a controls engineering job! Challenge accepted. How much are you looking to spend? :dancingnaughty:

^ well that's not fun. I was going to get you an electric actuator valve with Ethernet/IP connectivity. But it isn't $1.99! LOL

One of my tank heaters shit the bed. I am having it replaced with a gas-fired tankless unit. I'll let you know how it goes. I'd do it myself, but since I am in Kazakhstan for a few more days, my neighbor, a general contractor, sent his plumber over to take care of it for me.

Back