Taking a break in october...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craftlady07

Reaction score
I failed for the 2nd time, but I need a break. I'll go for it again next april.

I suck at air pollution control/emmisions stuff and some of the municipal/hazardous waste management - I'll start to work on them in the fall. any suggestions for additional study prep material in those areas would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry to hear you didn't make it this time.

Check out the advice thread, I think the books referenced in there cover these two subjects pretty well. Other than that, make sure you work as many practice problems as possible.

Also, make sure you fully comprehend the basic theory behind most of the problems. For some of the air stuff and hazwaste stuff, being intimately familiar with the ideal gas law, and all its uses, can be of great value in solving many of the problems. Bone up on your air and hazwaste chemistry, too.

I failed for the 2nd time, but I need a break. I'll go for it again next april. I suck at air pollution control/emmisions stuff and some of the municipal/hazardous waste management - I'll start to work on them in the fall. any suggestions for additional study prep material in those areas would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry to hear that, craftlady07. Three timer here, so don't get discouraged. I was much the same as you; I didn't know diddly about air. I would follow Dleg's advice. Also, have you considered a PE prep class? I live in an area where classes are not offered, so I got the NC State review DVDs. I feel like they pushed me over the edge. They do a good job on the air section of the exam. Good luck next April!

I failed for the 2nd time, but I need a break. I'll go for it again next april. I suck at air pollution control/emmisions stuff and some of the municipal/hazardous waste management - I'll start to work on them in the fall. any suggestions for additional study prep material in those areas would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry to hear you failed. When I failed the exam in April 2008, I was too burnt out and discouraged to try in October. Like you, I decided to wait a year to try again. Air problems were a big hurdle for me. There were no review courses for the environmental exam in my area, and I was overwhelmed by all the material that could be on the exam. I decided to try the self study course offered through the University of Delaware (on DVDs). I was lucky to get work to reimburse the cost of the course. I was skeptical but decided to try it because I needed something to keep me on track. I found them surprisingly helpful - especially for the air topic. I went through all the lessons and (even though I didn't feel ready for the exam...) I felt pretty confident when I left the exam. I found out last week that I passed and I definitely think the DVDs were the key to my success this time. If you go this route, I suggest getting them in the fall (they start the actual review course in November). I didn't get my hands on the DVDs until early January and managed to get through them all, but some of the material was compressed.

Hang in there, I failed the Oct 08 exam and redirected my energy to passing the April 09 test. The first time, as far as preparing, I read all I could about the main topics and then did as many practice problems as I could. Well that didnt work, I failed and Air/Emmissions were topics that I didnt know very well and after I received my diagnostic eval it showed that I was lacking in this area (among others). For the second exam I enrolled in the School of PE refresher course. I live in SW Florida, away from the big city and big Universities, and therefore I was unable to find a classroom course to attend. The School of PE is an online course, Saturday and Sunday all day, that I am very sure helped me pass the second time. I highly recommend this course. They cover all the main topics and focus on problem solving skills and time management (two things I was surely lacking the first time). Good luck and hang in there, you can do it!

Thank you for your encouragement and recommendations. I will look into the DVD courses as I would have to travel to Philly (over an hour away) if I wanted to take an actual review class. I do plan on jumping back on the studying saddle this fall and I think the DVD's would help jump start the study drive...I think I waited to long to start studying the last 2 times and rushed my way through it without really understanding what I was doing. I've only been out of school for 8 years but it's long enough to forget all the stuff that I don't do every day (I'm in the water/wastewater field so I kick ass in those sections!)

I feel your pain. I failed the PE twice myself and I am going for my third time in OCT 09. I took a break also. I have to say it is such a disappointment to fail. For me though it more the fact I have to sacrifice another 5 months of my life studying for this damn exam. But on the flip side once you pass the exam you never have to look back. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Just sit back shift into neutral for a few months and then get back to studying.

Good Luck!!!

Sorry to hear craftylady and wyatt!! You are in good company - four time re-taker here!

I think Dleg is spot-on, references and getting organized are really key to successfully taking this exam. I would employ a organize as you go method - that worked the best for me.

Good luck!! Come back and ask questions!! :)

JR

Craftylady, Wyatt,

Your efforts will be rewarded. Keep trying and dont lose faith.

Craftylady: Where in Philly is this review course you speak of? I hope not Drexel University! I'm studying for the Oct 09 exam myself and I've resorted to self study. I live in Philadelphia and I dont have anything good to tell you about courses out here.

Back