Syria

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bush_Oval_Office_phone_call.jpg

Did someone call me?

CW...fall into the inventions i wish could have been uninvented category.
Indeed.

As to the "Syria got their weapons from Iraq" line, there are some things to consider:

First, any such arms would be well on their way to fully degraded - Iraq used single-chamber CW loads, not split systems that do the mixing on the fly, resulting in shelf lives measured in weeks rather than years.

Second, http://csis.org/files/media/csis/pubs/080602_syrianwmd.pdf

Syria has had CW tech since Reagan was President. Why would they use inferior Iraqi tech?

Third, Assad's a Shia, Saddam was Sunni. The only chemical weapons Saddam would have given him would be armed.

I'm genuinely surprised that it took almost 10 months before we got drawn into this BS. It gives me hope that most people don't support getting into another war that doesn't affect us at all, but then I see a quote like this...

Deborah Powell, 58, of California, said she initially opposed any involvement by the United States but now supports arming the rebels.

"I was against any involvement after watching a (television) program that said if we give (rebels) the weapons they could turn them against us, but I think now we need to give them the weapons," Powell said.

Asked what changed her mind, she said: "What's going on over there is terrible." However, Powell praised Obama's wariness toward getting the United States involved in another war.
From: http://news.yahoo.com/syria-war-escalates-americans-cool-u-intervention-reuters-003146054.html

There is so much wrong there.

1. This person seems to get her opinion directly from the television.
  2. Nothing changed since she was given her previous opinion, but now she has a 100% different view because the TV told her to.
  3. She supports getting involved because things are "terrible" in Syria. This war has been going on for over 2 years...shit has been terrible for a long time now.
  4. She thinks Obama doesn't want to get the US involved in another war when he is specifically asking Congress to give him such authority, and hasn't said he won't do it anyway without the approval of Congress.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the issue was really the WMDs, we should have slammed them with Tomahawks when they started mating the warheads with the delivery vehicles. And we knew when that happened (it was on the news), but nothing was done. If we had done it then, there would be no gassing, and we could come off as heroes for 'doing the right thing' provided we hit only the depots where the warhead/vehicle mating occured.

But we didn't.

We dithered, postured politically, and looked for concensus, and let 1400 folks get gassed, and now there are all sorts of political ramifications for action.

The window of opportunity has closed for a legitimate (not to mention effective) destruction of the WMD stockpiles.

I hate to say it, but I think we should screwed the pooch in a major way, here.

I didn't expect this, but the Russians may have solved Obama's problems for him.

In a surprise move, Russia promised Monday to push its ally Syria to place its chemical weapons under international control and then dismantle them quickly to avert U.S. strikes.

The announcement by Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov came a few hours after U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said that Syrian President Bashar Assad could resolve the crisis surrounding the alleged use of chemical weapons by his forces by surrendering control of "every single bit" of his arsenal to the international community by the end of the week.

Kerry added that he thought Assad "isn't about to do it," but Lavrov, who just wrapped a round of talks in Moscow with his Syrian counterpart Walid al-Moallem, said that Moscow would try to convince the Syrians.

"If the establishment of international control over chemical weapons in that country would allow avoiding strikes, we will immediately start working with Damascus," Lavrov said.

"We are calling on the Syrian leadership to not only agree on placing chemical weapons storage sites under international control, but also on its subsequent destruction and fully joining the treaty on prohibition of chemical weapons," he said.

Lavrov said that he has already handed over the proposal to al-Moallem and expects a "quick, and, hopefully, positive answer."
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2013/09/09/Russia-to-push-Syria-to-surrender-chemical-weapons

We'll, what he MEANT to say...

In what looks like an off-the-cuff blunder, Secretary of State John Kerry might have accidentally given Russian President Vladmir Putin the opportunity to muddy the international diplomatic waters and buy his friends in Syria some time.
During a press briefing on Monday, Kerry said that Assad could avoid American air strikes by giving up all his chemical weapons within a week. Within hours, the State Department was forced to walk Kerry's new red line back with the claim that he was making a "rhetorical argument about the impossibility and unlikelihood of Assad turning over chemical weapons he has denied he used."

It seems, then, reasonable to conclude that Kerry spoke out of turn. Kerry was not authorized to offer Syria an "out" or a new ultimatum. But Kerry's hypothetical hyperbole appears to have already backfired.
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2013/09/09/Putin-takes-advantage-of-kerry-blunder

After the rash of shit that the Democrats gave Bush for all those years on Iraq and Afghanistan, I'm loving watching them squirm in their seats when people call out the stupid shit they say. Unfortunately, the only place you'll see stuff like this is on FoxNews or Drudge. CNN, NBC, and CBS are still fellating the President as hard as they can.

And they swept Benghazi under the rug and acted like it wasn't any big deal at all.. He'll it was just a terrorist attack on us soil....

And they swept Benghazi under the rug and acted like it wasn't any big deal at all.. He'll it was just a terrorist attack on us soil....
How many embassies were attacked under Bush?

As for Syria - hopefully they disarm, but there's no way Putin would have pushed for this even slightly without US saber rattling.

I don't believe the issue was the embassy getting attacked. That happens under all U.S. Presidents. The issue was that the ambassador asked for help, didn't receive it, and it appears that the administration is trying to cover up their response to the attack. Additionally, this administration made up a reason for the attack that they knew wasn't true while the attack was happening.

I love how more Americans get their opinions from "celebrities" then they do from the "news"...

It is sad, most people won't watch unless they see what some actor has to say about it......

The only people that will benefit from us bombing Syria is the folks that make the bombs..missiles, etc....

A Syrian air defense base near the coastal city of Latakia was reportedly destroyed Wednesday night, with multiple Syrian and Lebanese sources speculating that an Israeli strike from the Mediterranean was to blame. Unconfirmed reports suggested the explosion was the result of a missile strike from the sea. And social media exploded with posts alleging that Israel was responsible.Earlier on Wednesday the Lebanese government news agency reported six Israeli aircraft flying through Lebanese airspace along the coast north of Beirut.

Huge explosion reported at Syrian air defense base | The Times of Israel

Back