Survey Exam April 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hebz

Reaction score
i have passed 8-hrs (structural depth) and seismic tests.

about to restart studying for surveying exam of april '10 using new materials and ref.

please share your study techniques and materials use , so we all can beat this ugly beast. let's start :party-smiley-048: GL!!!!

i have passed 8-hrs (structural depth) and seismic tests.about to restart studying for surveying exam of april '10 using new materials and ref.

please share your study techniques and materials use , so we all can beat this ugly beast. let's start :party-smiley-048: GL!!!!

hebz..i passed the 8 hrs and seismic tests and didnt pass surveying as well..that sucks because i felt i did good in surveying..where are you taking the test?

i have passed 8-hrs (structural depth) and seismic tests.about to restart studying for surveying exam of april '10 using new materials and ref.

hebz..i passed the 8 hrs and seismic tests and didnt pass surveying as well..that sucks because i felt i did good in surveying..where are you taking the test?

i will be taking at Pomona , fairplex...

what books have u been using last times? i have only used Cumo both times and that was my mistake. i heard that Reza's practice problems are good so i got it.

what books have u been using last times? i have only used Cumo both times and that was my mistake. i heard that Reza's practice problems are good so i got it.
Me too..i'm taking it in Pomona..yeah I only studied Cumo...and i want to order the Reza's book..do you know what is it called?

Last edited by a moderator:

Me too..i'm taking it in Pomona..yeah I only studied Cumo...and i want to order the Reza's book..do you know what is it called?
I thought that the edition year will make difference so i got two copies. but it seems they are the same. I got it for 53$ (w/ shipping),so if u want i can give it to u with same price since i dun need the extra copy. let me know . my email is [email protected]

Same boat here, I passed the 8 hour but failed survey and seismic, so April is the time lovely Pomona is the place.

I almost feel sorry for people not taking the exam in Pomona, all those smart people in one place trying to get into the parking lot, wow.

I picked up a surveying text book and I also have some pdfs about surveying I think are helpful, anyone know how we can exchange PDFs on this forum?

Same boat here, I passed the 8 hour but failed survey and seismic, so April is the time lovely Pomona is the place.
I almost feel sorry for people not taking the exam in Pomona, all those smart people in one place trying to get into the parking lot, wow.

I picked up a surveying text book and I also have some pdfs about surveying I think are helpful, anyone know how we can exchange PDFs on this forum?
emails...my email is [email protected]

what is the pdf ? practice problems or...?

I have 5 sections from the Caltrans training document, this can be found online as well. I lost the link.

We're in the same boat EnvEngineer, don't know which one to start but am planning to on Seismic. I will browse the design aspect and do more practice problems and familiarize codes. Am still thinking if I do Surveying in parallel...

Where's your location?

I in Agoura Hills, I suggest you do a little studing for the survey and take the exam just to get a look. You will get a report back on what you did well and not so well.

I started survey in Dec and now finishing seismic, I will go back to survey for Feb and then seismic in march and then the final push. I try for 2 hours each day but probably average a little less.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have passed 8-hour and Seismic. Only need Surveying. Ive used Cuomo and even Reza's book for taking it before. I dont think Cuomo's book can carry you through the exam. Reza's book is decent and covers some good examples similar to the test. It covers a lot of problems, but his manual is highly unorganized and the problems are scattered throughout making it hard to reference during the exam. Even his format is off, that when reading you dont know where one problem ends and the next begins.

I have not found any good books out there. I stumbled upon the website, www.engineeringscienceprep.com which offers software for $49.95, but that covers both Seismic and Surveying. I emailed the company asking if they offered software for Surveying alone but I have not heard back from them in several days. Given that the website looks a little sketchy, and that they havent emailed me back (even more sketchier and bad for business), I doubt I will be purchasing software from them.

I am looking into purchasing the manuals from www.passpe.com (Professional Engineering Services). They offer a Surveying for CA PE (Civil) License and Surveying Practice Exams & Solutions. I have heard about this company and they seem legitimate. I emailed them about seeing a Table of Contents for their manuals to check on what topics they cover. I am hoping these will do the trick. There really isnt many options out there for us. Good ones at least.

I too have passed 8-hour and Seismic. Only need Surveying. Ive used Cuomo and even Reza's book for taking it before. I dont think Cuomo's book can carry you through the exam. Reza's book is decent and covers some good examples similar to the test. It covers a lot of problems, but his manual is highly unorganized and the problems are scattered throughout making it hard to reference during the exam. Even his format is off, that when reading you dont know where one problem ends and the next begins.
I have not found any good books out there. I stumbled upon the website, www.engineeringscienceprep.com which offers software for $49.95, but that covers both Seismic and Surveying. I emailed the company asking if they offered software for Surveying alone but I have not heard back from them in several days. Given that the website looks a little sketchy, and that they havent emailed me back (even more sketchier and bad for business), I doubt I will be purchasing software from them.

I am looking into purchasing the manuals from www.passpe.com (Professional Engineering Services). They offer a Surveying for CA PE (Civil) License and Surveying Practice Exams & Solutions. I have heard about this company and they seem legitimate. I emailed them about seeing a Table of Contents for their manuals to check on what topics they cover. I am hoping these will do the trick. There really isnt many options out there for us. Good ones at least.

Please review our Enginering Survey Semianrs on our website www.irvine-institiute.org. WE have been giving these programs sicne 1973 and developed comprehensive manuals that include relavant theory, exmaple problems, past PE problems and soltuions. All our programs are offered in Irvine, bradacast across the nation. Lectures are archived and can be re-viewed. We guarantee a pass for thsoe who tkae our semianrs. If they fail we give them free access for the smeianr for the next 12 months. Study well, learn the subject, passs the exam.

cvc irvine institute

Please review our Enginering Survey Semianrs on our website www.irvine-institiute.org. WE have been giving these programs sicne 1973 and developed comprehensive manuals that include relavant theory, exmaple problems, past PE problems and soltuions. All our programs are offered in Irvine, bradacast across the nation. Lectures are archived and can be re-viewed. We guarantee a pass for thsoe who tkae our semianrs. If they fail we give them free access for the smeianr for the next 12 months. Study well, learn the subject, passs the exam.

cvc irvine institute

Sorry for the spelling mistakes - did not use spell check.

That software is sold at amazon.com as well

I passed the survey the first time, I suggest you do as many practice problems as you can. I used "120 Solved Surveying Problems for the California Special Civil Engineer Examination (CSSP)" and "Surveying Principles for Civil Engineers (SPCE2)". What did you use for the seismic portion? I didn't pass that one..

Aztecdevil,

I don't know your background but I would suggest getting Hiner's Seismic Design Workbook. Together with this workbook, you also need IBC 2006 and ASCE 7 to get through the exam. This works for me.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

Aztecdevil,
I don't know your background but I would suggest getting Hiner's Seismic Design Workbook. Together with this workbook, you also need IBC 2006 and ASCE 7 to get through the exam. This works for me.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.
Agreed. but I don't recommend studying the subject matter on your own if you have little to no structural knowledge. It's difficult material to learn independently. Sign up for Hiner's web seminars.

I am on the same boat with some of you guys with just survey left. I felt the Cumo books did not help much. I felt the questions did not look anything like the questions on the exam. MP Review wasn't of much help either. I now bought the Chelapati book for survey and the practice exam from Reza Mahallati. Raza's book look more like the test. So my attack plan is to do and re-do the Raza book. Look thru the Chelapati book and re-do all the Cumo books. Determine to pass this time...

luckattack,

You are doing the right thing. Practice and devote most of your time solving the problems of Reza. The other books won't help you that much.

Good luck.

Back