Survey Exam April 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

I am using the Hiner Books , may be I will go over again . Seem that exam has more varieties on it . Will Chelapati seismic book help.

Any Idea.

I purchased the Reza Mahallati book , it is closer to the surveying exam

any suggestion

Sam , registered WA PE

I am on the same boat with some of you guys with just survey left. I felt the Cumo books did not help much. I felt the questions did not look anything like the questions on the exam. MP Review wasn't of much help either. I now bought the Chelapati book for survey and the practice exam from Reza Mahallati. Raza's book look more like the test. So my attack plan is to do and re-do the Raza book. Look thru the Chelapati book and re-do all the Cumo books. Determine to pass this time...
Ya i am planning to do the same thing..

but in the end all you can do is hope for the best...

I am in an interesting boat here. Basically I applied for my CA PE via reciprocity in January but they told me that I had missed the deadline for the April 2010 exam and that there was nothing I could do. So I put it out of my mind and decided I would skip the test in October as well and wait until next year (I'm taking the WA SEIII exam this October). That's what I thought was going on until last thursday when I received my notice to appear for the April 2010 exam. So now I have just a few weeks to study, I purchased the Cuomo book as well as the 120 problem Boniface book.

Any advise?

I am in an interesting boat here. Basically I applied for my CA PE via reciprocity in January but they told me that I had missed the deadline for the April 2010 exam and that there was nothing I could do. So I put it out of my mind and decided I would skip the test in October as well and wait until next year (I'm taking the WA SEIII exam this October). That's what I thought was going on until last thursday when I received my notice to appear for the April 2010 exam. So now I have just a few weeks to study, I purchased the Cuomo book as well as the 120 problem Boniface book.
Any advise?
That's strange that they processed your application even though they said you missed the deadline. Looks like the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. Crazy.

You should be fine with the books you have. Just keep on doing the problems and understand how they're solved. Since you're a structural person, you're probably not intimidated by geometry and lots of calculations which is what the the survey exam mainly entails. Understand horizontal and vertical curves to determine stationing at any point and be proficient at open and closed traverses using bearings and distances. All calcs would entail knowledge in trigonometry and some calculus (vertical curves) so as long as you're strong in surveying math, you'll pass the exam.

Good luck!

What do you guys think is more similar in difficulty to the actual test...the 120 solved surveying problems or the Reza book? Some of the problems in the Reza book can take 5-10 minutes to solve. I'm assuming if you encounter those types of problems on the test, you just skip them and move on. The problems in the 120 solved book seem more fair.

Since the test is so diverse they all have a part of the exam covered, there may be some tough looking problems that you may tackle or try to get a better guess, such as a combination of R values on a floor and where you need to estimate the shear is a particular wall. The the tougher problems are pretty good prep but like you say on the test "turn the page" . In my experience all the books have good problems but you probably will not work the tougher ones on the test.

Are you guys READYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??????????????

the time has come...5 more days and we will be tested again...Survey should get outa way..........i am doing final reviews and organizing things in my brain... wish you all luck... :party-smiley-048:

Back