Study vs. Family Life

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing I found helpful with little ones (mine were 1 and almost 3 at the time) around while I studied was to try to eliminate some time-consuming household things like doing dishes and meals. My wife and I used paper plates/bowls/cups, plastic silverware, and napkins for meals as much as possible. We changed our diets to be more micro-wave friendly to cut down on pots/pans as well as to free-up some time during dinner prep (an alternative to this is to bake a couple larger-than-needed cassaroles on sunday and feed off of them over the week).

As stated above, I also utilized the late night time frame for studying (kiddos were in bed by 9, and I would study until about 11). This really only works if you are more of a night-owl, otherwise I would suggest the early morning approach like CivE says above.

One thing to remember when it comes to studying, the QUALITY of the studying is more important than the QUANTITY. If you log 1000 hours of half-assed, barely awake, mind-wandering type studying, what good is that? I understand some of you with kiddos (especially little ones) don't want to miss anything, but sometimes you just need to. It sucks, but it also make the time you do spend with the little ones that much more special.

Boy, studying with a child, was way, way different than when it was just me and my husband, but I actually was more successful this time around because my goal was to not take more time away from my family than I had to. I studied every night from about 8-10 after we put our daughter down, and on weekends during nap times. As the exam got closer, my husband would take our daughter to his Moms for a Saturday about twice a month so I could really focus on studying. I did feel like I missed out on a lot, and I'm sad for that, but in my opinion, passing this time around was worth every sacrifice. I do feel like in general my life was on hold for 3 months, and that includes my family life.

I didn't sacrifice too much of family life preparing PE and I didn't give up my college football season tickets (man, it's pain struggling between games and study).

But I did put my sex life on hold a little bit. The freakin' books and problems just ruined my taste for it.

That's my experience. Thank God I passed. :party-smiley-048:

Last edited by a moderator:
My suggestions:
consider getting up super early to study for maybe 2 hours before you start your day. Early morning and lunch should allow you to leave at least some evenings free for your family.
Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I already get up at 4:00 every morning so I don't see me getting up any earlier. I'm usually in bed around 9:00, after the boys are put to bed, so I think I'll just stay up a little longer and get an hour or two of quality studing done, like Dexman said. I'll figure out a way to get it done and pass this test. Thanks again.

Even though my kids are older, I looked at my schedule and I literally had at best 2 hours available on weekdays and a little more on the weekends. If you're smart about trying to study when you're least likely to be missed and stay well-rested so you can be as efficient as possible, you'll likely find enough time. Just pack it in when you're overtired and try to make up the time elsewhere.

Your kids may even be the right age to enjoy bedtime stories from CERM -- give it a try!

I study about 2.5 hours each night and about 10 or more hours on the weekend. I just come home eat dinner watch the news and sit in my office until about 9:30 or 10:00. After doing this twice for a total of 700 hours I think my kids and wife are used to it but not too happy. I would not suggest to anyone to wait 22 years after college to take the PE. I should have just gone back to college for a masters degree. At least I would have something for the time I spent studying.

Even though my kids are older, I looked at my schedule and I literally had at best 2 hours available on weekdays and a little more on the weekends. If you're smart about trying to study when you're least likely to be missed and stay well-rested so you can be as efficient as possible, you'll likely find enough time. Just pack it in when you're overtired and try to make up the time elsewhere.
Your kids may even be the right age to enjoy bedtime stories from CERM -- give it a try!
I agree, I don't have kids, but I usually did my studying during the week so I could show my face during the weekends. The last 3-4 weeks I was a study hermit in the bunker.

Back