Student from Schoolofpe - Environmental

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsingh

Reaction score
Are there people here who took the refresher course offered by SchoolofPE?

Are there people here who took the refresher course offered by SchoolofPE?
Yup. I also started a forum post a few months ago looking for feedback on the class. While the guarantee of passing for the CE class looked impressive, there was no guarantee for the Env exam review... I was looking for folks to give me some insight into the class (particularly since it was online).

Welcome!

I thought the course was very helpful.

Yup. I also started a forum post a few months ago looking for feedback on the class. While the guarantee of passing for the CE class looked impressive, there was no guarantee for the Env exam review... I was looking for folks to give me some insight into the class (particularly since it was online).
Welcome!

I thought the course was very helpful.
I took the course with you guys as well. Overall, I think the course was OK if augmented with a lot of independent study, as an eye opener to areas where independent study may have been lacking. I found certain instructors to be more helpful than others, and felt that more instructor contact time should have been included in the "workshop" sessions. I also thought that combining the Haz Waste / H&S sections into one weekend was really pushing it.

Either way, I don't feel prepared enough, but from what I gathered from reading other posts, this is normal........Thoughts on this or the course?

I took the course with you guys as well. Overall, I think the course was OK if augmented with a lot of independent study, as an eye opener to areas where independent study may have been lacking. I found certain instructors to be more helpful than others, and felt that more instructor contact time should have been included in the "workshop" sessions. I also thought that combining the Haz Waste / H&S sections into one weekend was really pushing it.
Either way, I don't feel prepared enough, but from what I gathered from reading other posts, this is normal........Thoughts on this or the course?
I think like most of us, you'll NEVER really feel fully prepared. :) ...I thought the course was pretty good, especially given the fact that it was online. I'm a very audio-visual learner, so it's funny how I can read the all those chapters in the ENVRM but the topics don't really stick or make sense until it's explained to me.

I also agree that the class was very good at giving me idea of what topics to study and what types of problems to focus on. I wish the class had started earlier so I would have more time to review those topics!

However, I plan to reserve my full judgment until AFTER the exam. :)

I think like most of us, you'll NEVER really feel fully prepared. :) ...I thought the course was pretty good, especially given the fact that it was online. I'm a very audio-visual learner, so it's funny how I can read the all those chapters in the ENVRM but the topics don't really stick or make sense until it's explained to me.
I also agree that the class was very good at giving me idea of what topics to study and what types of problems to focus on. I wish the class had started earlier so I would have more time to review those topics!

However, I plan to reserve my full judgment until AFTER the exam. :)
I too should reserve judgement until I'm judged tomorrow! One thing that I am wondering about regarding the course that may have been misleading - I thought that were told in the course that 'by and large' within the provided materials everything you would need is there from Lagrega, etc. I don't necessarily agree with this after ordering a few of the suggested references that I didn't already have, since during practive exams I used information from the suggested references not provided within the course materials, particularly for qualitative practice problems.

Maybe it's one of those legally-qualified "everything you need to pass" statements, as in "enough material to answer at least 70% of all test questions.

Did you check the fine print?

:tardbang:

I know the workshop problems were a big help. I think more so than not the course was a confidence booster. While I agree, the course did not help with knowledge that you have to acquire from on the job experience, it at least gave me enough fundamentals to rule out some incorrect choices and make better educated guesses. But I did think some of the class time wasted on problems which really were not at all applicable to the recommended study topics.

Aside from that - is the pass rate REALLY 70%? I thought I heard one of the school of Pe instructors mention the pass rate was 52-54%, which was scaled to 70?

Maybe it's one of those legally-qualified "everything you need to pass" statements, as in "enough material to answer at least 70% of all test questions.
Did you check the fine print?

:tardbang:

I know the workshop problems were a big help. I think more so than not the course was a confidence booster. While I agree, the course did not help with knowledge that you have to acquire from on the job experience, it at least gave me enough fundamentals to rule out some incorrect choices and make better educated guesses. But I did think some of the class time wasted on problems which really were not at all applicable to the recommended study topics.
Aside from that - is the pass rate REALLY 70%? I thought I heard one of the school of Pe instructors mention the pass rate was 52-54%, which was scaled to 70?
The passing percentage varies per test. That is why it takes so long to get the results. There is no hard and fast passing percentage...they grade the exams, and then determine the passing score. Don't worry about the percent...you'll just drive yourself crazy. Just know that you did your best, and hopefully it was enough to pass.

I provided some feedback under the other posting topic, but I'll provide more here.

For me, the course was very good in breaking down key topics and fundamentals that would/should be typical for the exam.

Although the exam content still had a lot of surprises, I feel that the course helped me be better more prepared for them... There were some topics for which I wish we had gone more in depth, but given the time limitations, we did cover quite a lot.

I feel like I benefited from the instruction in almost all the topics, whether it was review with familiar stuff, covering new materials (new to me at least), clarification on confusing topics, or time-saving tips for problems. For example, I thought I understood hardness and alkalinity, but they really helped clear that up for me. (Granted, I'm still confused, but at least I'm less confused!). Also, I got at least one answer from my binder notes that was not in my textbook references.

So though I still don't feel confident about whether or not I passed the exam, all in all, I'm VERY glad I took the review class (and I'm grateful that there was an online option for someone like me without a local review course). I would recommend it to anyone that has the time and money.

Well, unfortunately, their course did not do the trick for me. I did very well according to the diagnostic except for very low percentage correct in water resources and emissions sources. So, what would you all recommend I focus on to nail these two sections in the next exam?

Any good book, problems, references to help a fellow student out?

Well, unfortunately, their course did not do the trick for me. I did very well according to the diagnostic except for very low percentage correct in water resources and emissions sources. So, what would you all recommend I focus on to nail these two sections in the next exam?
Any good book, problems, references to help a fellow student out?
For water resources, I had 2 books that I took with me and used for review: Water Resources Engineering by Mays, and Fundamentals of Hydraulic Engineering Systems by Hwang and Houghtalen. These were holdovers from college for me. For the emissions sources, I used the ENVERM and my supplied booklet from the NC State Review DVDs (not helpful, I know). Dleg may be able to help on the air side. Sorry that things did not work out this time around. Good luck on your future trials!

Did any of the students happen to come across Dr. Susarla's email address? I wanted to ask him a couple of questions, but the School of PE has him email address blocked.

Did any of the students happen to come across Dr. Susarla's email address? I wanted to ask him a couple of questions, but the School of PE has him email address blocked.

CPuerta, in my experience with the School of PE, they never had their instructors' emails posted anywhere. SPE Instructors would get webmail from students and reply with SPE-type return addresses...The instructors never volunteered their personal emails, but instructed students to contact them through the SPE website. Probably for privacy reasons...Some time (maybe 2 weeks) after the course or weekend class ended, a returning student would not be able to send any more comments to the instructor through the SPE website...

If you're not able to get it through EB, I think your best bet is to call SPE (614-873-7475) to request their help to open a line of communication for you with the instructor you are trying to contact again...I hope this helps...Good Luck!

Thanks, SPE hasnt returned my email request. I doubt they will, they already cashed the check, haha.

CPuerta, in my experience with the School of PE, they never had their instructors' emails posted anywhere. SPE Instructors would get webmail from students and reply with SPE-type return addresses...The instructors never volunteered their personal emails, but instructed students to contact them through the SPE website. Probably for privacy reasons...Some time (maybe 2 weeks) after the course or weekend class ended, a returning student would not be able to send any more comments to the instructor through the SPE website...If you're not able to get it through EB, I think your best bet is to call SPE (614-873-7475) to request their help to open a line of communication for you with the instructor you are trying to contact again...I hope this helps...Good Luck!

For air, I honestly think that the PPI reference manual gives you everything you need to to know for the basics of emissons controls.

But the big thing with air, IMO, is basic chemistry (stoichiometry) and unit conversions. Study up on combustion. Practice figuring out how much oxygen is needed to combust different fuels, on the basis of the stoichiometric equation, or how much lime is needed to neutralize the sulfuric acid in an SO2 scrubber, etc., all using the basic chemical equations and molecular weights, moles, etc. Once you master that, you're in great shape (it also helps you in other aspects of the exam).

Also, practice converting sample concentrations to standard temperatures and oxygen percentages, etc. You can find some great examples and basic conversion factors for this in Lagrega's Hazardous Waste Management, if I remember correctly.

The real key is to really learn these things - to understand what you are doing. Because, the truth is you will probably not see any questions that are exactly like any that you have practiced. But as long as you know the basic idea behind the subject, you should be able to solve anything they throw at you.

I have heard good things from the School of PE for the Civil exam .. but nothing in regards to Environmental.

I hope you work out the issues!!

JR

Thats helpful information. Will take a close look at those topics.

For air, I honestly think that the PPI reference manual gives you everything you need to to know for the basics of emissons controls.
But the big thing with air, IMO, is basic chemistry (stoichiometry) and unit conversions. Study up on combustion. Practice figuring out how much oxygen is needed to combust different fuels, on the basis of the stoichiometric equation, or how much lime is needed to neutralize the sulfuric acid in an SO2 scrubber, etc., all using the basic chemical equations and molecular weights, moles, etc. Once you master that, you're in great shape (it also helps you in other aspects of the exam).

Also, practice converting sample concentrations to standard temperatures and oxygen percentages, etc. You can find some great examples and basic conversion factors for this in Lagrega's Hazardous Waste Management, if I remember correctly.

The real key is to really learn these things - to understand what you are doing. Because, the truth is you will probably not see any questions that are exactly like any that you have practiced. But as long as you know the basic idea behind the subject, you should be able to solve anything they throw at you.

I would still be sure to bring an air pollution book with you to the exam. When I took the exam, I remember one question where they listed the equation by name that was to be used to calculate the answer. The equation wasn't in PPI reference manual, but I found it easily in the index of my air pollution control book.

I agree with Dleg. I had one air reference but didn't crack it open. Only had to use the PPI manual and LaGrega.

Study stoichiometry and it'll help you tons.

Latest posts

Back