Structural PM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a little worried in terms of taking Structural for my depth. I took Structural as my emphasis in college and even my line of work has always been focused on Structural design. Yet I am debating whether I should take a different specialization just to pass the PE. I just finished taking a my first sample exam (Structural PM) and failed miserably. This a tough one...considering that it's barely two weeks till the dreaded exam.
Although structural is one of the more difficult topics (transportation/construction are usually considered easier), i don't think it's a good idea to try and change subjects 11 days before the test. My advice is to take the next two weeks off work and keep doing problems.

One thing to keep in mind is that both the CERM problems, and 6 min. solutions are more difficult that the actual test (i think 6 min. is significantly more difficult).

Also if you don't know any of the morning subjects you may want to brush up on them by reading the big names in the CERM (e.g. you know a bernoulli's equation should show up so touch up on it).

Structural Reference Depth Manual(2nd ed.; by Alan Williams) for 60$

shipping included in price. email me at [email protected] if interested. paypal accepted

I will be using an out of date version of IBC (2003) for the PE Civil exam, with a structural afternoon. Does anyone think that will be a problem?

I will be using an out of date version of IBC (2003) for the PE Civil exam, with a structural afternoon. Does anyone think that will be a problem?
Yes, it will be a problem, you need the 2006 IBC. You will probably see some questions that are simple code lookup questions, and you don't want to take that chance of it being something that was changed between 03 and 06 because those questions are gimmees.

I am a little worried in terms of taking Structural for my depth. I took Structural as my emphasis in college and even my line of work has always been focused on Structural design. Yet I am debating whether I should take a different specialization just to pass the PE. I just finished taking a my first sample exam (Structural PM) and failed miserably. This a tough one...considering that it's barely two weeks till the dreaded exam.

I think everyone would agree that structural is the hardest of the disciplines, but for me it just came naturally because its what I enjoy. I know I'm a geek but I like calculating steel, concrete, etc. I find it harder to concentrate on environmental or transportation problems and couldn't imagine spending 4 hours working on them.

My strategy worked by the way. Passed the structural exam first try.

I'm going to be taking the structural afternoon exam in October and I was wondering how everyone studied for this exam? I've currently been working whatever problems I can get my hands on, but what else should I be doing? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I will also do PE civil and Structural PM on Oct 10, I do have CERM for Am and SERM for PM, and 6 minutes soln too, but based on your discussons here I do need to get codes such as IBC and all reqd codes from NCEES and theyre a bunch and unfortunately expensive. I do structural engineering work for 15 yrs now and currently employed as bridge engineer.THanks guys for all the insights here.

Structural Reference Depth Manual(2nd ed.; by Alan Williams) in mint condition for 55$.

Shipping cost included.paypal accepted.

email me at [email protected] with your questions.

I'm going to be taking the structural afternoon exam in October and I was wondering how everyone studied for this exam? I've currently been working whatever problems I can get my hands on, but what else should I be doing? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I will also do PE civil and Structural PM on Oct 10, I do have CERM for Am and SERM for PM, and 6 minutes soln too, but based on your discussons here I do need to get codes such as IBC and all reqd codes from NCEES and theyre a bunch and unfortunately expensive. I do structural engineering work for 15 yrs now and currently employed as bridge engineer.THanks guys for all the insights here.
If you currently work in a structural design firm, they should have all the latest code books. If not, I would be seriously surprised. I'm sure your company will allow you to borrow the necessary code books you will need to pass the exam. It's only for the weekend.

If you currently work in a structural design firm, they should have all the latest code books. If not, I would be seriously surprised. I'm sure your company will allow you to borrow the necessary code books you will need to pass the exam. It's only for the weekend.

I do work in a structural design firm, but all the codes are Canadian and it is useless. Anyways I buying all the codes. I did study NCEES PE Civil and Struc 1 Sample AM portion, it seems easier for me. I do have a hard time on other stuff like Geo, Transpo, and Water. But I do hope I can cover as much as I can before the PE Exam.

Should I take a different approach to studying for the AM structural material as I should for the PM structural depth material? Basically, should I read through the structural chapters of the CERM or just read through the SERM, assuming that if I'm prepared enough to take the afternoon structural depth portion I should be fine with the morning structural material?

MTeeden,

Yes, you really should. I would say that you should really do problems for the PM portion. If you can do the problems for this, the AM section will be pretty easy for you.

I don't think I used the SERM once during the pm section, but I also had the 3rd edition, rather than the fourth. The 4th may be of some use to you. The problems go into much more depth than the exam questions. I think if you can get through the problems in the 4th, you'll be fine.
Is there a site where you can get support for the SERM if you don't understand the material or solutions?

SERM is easy to follow, the codes are all qouted on each problem they used and eqns coming from, to me it is easy.

I have read and reviewed up to Timber Topics now, it seems you have to have codes reqd, like ACI, NDS, AISC, IBC, AASHTO etc. But you must have a good background in structural theory, a lot of it is useful in the analysis portion.

Another thing I have noticed though there isnt any Strcutural Theory Determinate and Indeterminte sanple and problems in SERM.

Back