Structural PE with bachelors in mathematics

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadJuju270

Reaction score
I am a new graduate student in structural engineering and am concerned about my ability to get my professional engineer license. I have a bachelors in mathematics and am switching to civil engineering(structural concentration) for graduate studies.
I have perused various state licensing sites and have concluded I can get my PE and in fact will need less work experience because I will have a master's degree. A lot of fellow students I've spoken with say I am wrong and that I will not be able to take the PE in California nor in many other states.
Can you please give me some guidance so I can decide if I need to change majors before I am too committed?

Also, if you know of any states that definitley will give me problems, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

I am pretty sure that you will face some problems. I know in Maryland it is required to have an undergraduate degree in engineering from an ABET accreditted school in order to sit for the exam with 4 years of experience. They will allow you to sit if you have a non abet degree with 8 years experience. Maybe they will do something like that.

The best thing you can do is call the California board and ask them the question directly. All states are different and I can't speak for what California does. I have found my state board to be extremely helpful when I have called with questions. You also need to ask them if they will allow you to sit for the FE. I think that will be your greatest hurdle since it tests all disciplines of engineering; mechanics of materials, physics, thermo, fluids, dynamics and statics etc. Did your undergraduate degree expose you to those topics?

Thanks for your reply Santiagj.

I went to Maryland's PE licensing agency's web site and it said as long as I meet the curriculum requirements, I can take the EIT exam.

My graduate school admission is conditional--meaning I must take about 33 units of foundation courses before I can progress to graduate work. Fortunately, en route to completing these courses I will simultaneously take the courses required by Maryland.

My math degree required no science or engineering course so I have to check these boxes at the local community college; I have taken two semesters of chemistry and am currently taking physics for engineers. I enter grad. school this fall.

I dont think it will matter once you have your Masters in Civil. I have my undergrad from a non-ABET recognized school in Chemical Process Engg, but did my masters in Transportation. Maryland did approve my application for PE. I will be appearing for the PE in April 2010.

Back