Structural II Exam/ Licensure

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the confusing thing that appears in many of the post is the difference between a PE and an SE designation. While I am a PE in many states (including IL) I am not an SE in any. My original test was taken in PA in 1984. While I took the “structural” questions my PE is in Civil engineering and I received a PE via comity in all other states including IL. As Illinois law is currently written (at least to my understanding) I cannot even sit for the SE exam as my experience was never under the supervision of an SE.
I recently took the SE II, and I thought if I passed I might add Illinois. I'm almost positive that you don't need to be under an SE to get registered with Illinois [at least for out of state guys]....just 4 years of acceptable structural experience and passing the SE I & II. A buddy of mine got registered there after passing the SE II and his first license was here in South Carolina.......as a result of being in this area: he has NEVER worked under an SE.

^^ Just as an FYI, you'll also need 18 semester credits in engineering analysis & design while you were in college. 9 of those credits must be in engineering design.

It reads a lot like NCEES's MLSE requirements.

^^ Just as an FYI, you'll also need 18 semester credits in engineering analysis & design while you were in college. 9 of those credits must be in engineering design.
It reads a lot like NCEES's MLSE requirements.
Yeah, that sounds right. I've got a MS so that won't be a problem. (In fact, I probably had that under my BS because when I graduated it was 140+ semester hours to get it; and I took even some free electives in structural design.)

^^ Sounds like you're all set!

Good luck! I hope that you find that you pass!

Back