Stickies

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLBuff PE

Multi-disciplinary engineer
Reaction score
I haven't tabbed my references in my previous 2 attempts, and am curious if others tabbed theirs. How did you tab? Was it useful in the exam? Did you tab specific equations, then write on the tab?

I used the colored 3M little sticky things. Each major section had its own color and I tabbed important things or pages I used often during the practise probs and wrote what it was on the sticky thing.

I found it very helpful as I didn't have to flip through the book to find the section I could just go straight to it

The Shaggy Method looks good. I'll probably try that. Thanks for the link!

I tabbed the hell out of mine as well. Mine was similar to the Shaggy Method. I had sections labeled across the top (transpo, geotech, struct. etc) and then tabbed the side with the chapter numbers and names. The tabs along the side were color coded according to discipline (geotech = yellow, struct = red, transpo = green, etc). I made sure I had the chapter name and number on each tab along the side. The 2 hours I spent tabbing the CERM saved me multiple hours while I studied which ultimately helped with the exam.

I tabbed the hell out of mine, too, though not as much as Shaggy. As I studied, I made temporary tabs out of regular paper post-its. Then, with about 2 weeks to go, I spent a few hours organizing the temporary tabs, and replacing them systematically with the colored post-it brand tabs. I cut each tab back so that it was only about 1/4 inch of less wide, so it wouldn't block the view of the tabs below it. I did this with all my references, too - not just the ENVRM.

I just color coded based on the NCEES breakdown - blue for water and water resources, green for wastewater, orange for air, pink for haz and solid waste, yellow for health and safety topics (radiation, noise, etc), and white for econ, indexes, and glossaries.

In my opinion, the tabs were one of the most important things for me in passing the exam.

I used the Shaggy method. Tabbed sections on the side color keyed with the chapters in that section at the bottom. At the top I tagged tables and formulas, again, color keyed to the section.

I also ran a copy of the index and put it in the binder. Those two measures saved me a lot of time.

I also ran a copy of the index and put it in the binder. Those two measures saved me a lot of time.
This saved me more time than anything in the exam. The "other website" has links to the index you can print off so you don't have to worry about running each page through the copier. I made sure I printed it on both sides of the page and I comb-bound it so I would was easier to flip through and so the proctors would allow it.

I would love to reiterate that tabs at the top of the book are impossible to see when the book is laying flat. TAB THE BOTTOM!!!

I tabbed my book by topic (5 colors), and general info (1 color). major sections went at the bottom (a lot of times that was a new chapter title but sometimes it was something else) and specifics went on the side. i used them a LOT during the test. i wasnt constantly flipping through the index for a page number, or through a chapter to find a topic. i tried to make sure that every item on the ncees exam list had a tab- that was helpful bc if i knew the subject of the question i could at least get to the right couple of pages to maybe find the answer.

there are pictures of my book somewhere on here, or at least in my profile- feel free to look at them and see if it might work for you.

all of this was in the cerm- i didnt tab any other books. i tabbed my binders- i matched the color to the color on the cerm- looking back i wouldnt have done that- then the whole binder has the same color tabs and its hard to find stuff. just throwing that out there.

I tabbed the CERM, but I just did chapters. I had a copy of the index in its own little binder and tabbed that alphabetically. It took less time for me to look something up in the index and find it using my chapter tabs than it would have been to find the tab with the right equation on it.

I tabbed a few things in other books, but didn't have more than about 10 tabs on any book other than CERM.

I would love to reiterate that tabs at the top of the book are impossible to see when the book is laying flat. TAB THE BOTTOM!!!
I tabbed my book by topic (5 colors), and general info (1 color). major sections went at the bottom (a lot of times that was a new chapter title but sometimes it was something else) and specifics went on the side. i used them a LOT during the test. i wasnt constantly flipping through the index for a page number, or through a chapter to find a topic. i tried to make sure that every item on the ncees exam list had a tab- that was helpful bc if i knew the subject of the question i could at least get to the right couple of pages to maybe find the answer.

there are pictures of my book somewhere on here, or at least in my profile- feel free to look at them and see if it might work for you.

all of this was in the cerm- i didnt tab any other books. i tabbed my binders- i matched the color to the color on the cerm- looking back i wouldnt have done that- then the whole binder has the same color tabs and its hard to find stuff. just throwing that out there.
I must give you credit, squish. At first I said 'Bah! I'll be able to stand my book up on the shelf if I tab the top.' But you were right. I found myself constantly getting up from my chair to see what my tabs said while I was working problems. I have now removed the tabs from the top, and re-tabbed the bottom. Next time I'll know to listen to successful veterans!

I put the charts and tables tabs at the top. Wasn't a big deal to hold the book up a few degrees when I did need to access them.

Hi Everybody...it's me again. Question - I am spending this week finishing off my tabbing (had been using temp ones similar to what Dleg said) wanted to take a look at this "Shaggy method." When I follow the link in the thread, it pulls up the Shaggy thread, but I don't see any pictures...are they gone?

Hi Everybody...it's me again. Question - I am spending this week finishing off my tabbing (had been using temp ones similar to what Dleg said) wanted to take a look at this "Shaggy method." When I follow the link in the thread, it pulls up the Shaggy thread, but I don't see any pictures...are they gone?
The images are there. If you can't see them you may want to check that your board settings are set so that you are able to see pictures in threads.

You can check this by going to

My Controls -> Board Settings -> Do you wish to view images in posts, such as smilies and posted images? -> Yes

If that is set to yes you may not have access to view images hosted on the image hosting site Shaggy has the pictures uploaded to (imageshack). If you are viewing the board at work try logging in from a computer at home. Sometimes workplaces will block access to certain sites.

The other thing is that the pictures are at the top of the thread (while the link opens up at post 9 of the thread). If you haven't scrolled up to the top of the thread, that's where the pictures are.

The beautiful thing about tabbing first with "temporary" removable post-its is that you can try out different organizational methods, see if you like them, and then replace with "permanent" tabes once you are satisfied.

If you are viewing the board at work try logging in from a computer at home. Sometimes workplaces will block access to certain sites.

I can vouch for roadwreck's recommendation. I had that same problem of not being able to view the Shaggy method photos from my work computer. I was able to view it on my home computer instead. So try that.

My CERM is totally tabbed up. I borrowed a CERM that is already all tabbed up down the side, mostly to stuff the previous person found useful while studying. He also has little notes written all over the CERM. Like if a formula takes a value you get from a chart it has an arrow and says find in A19.A or whatever. Along the top I added my own little tabs. I have a problem with remembering constants like g. I never trust myself to just remember them in the heat of the moment because my mind will go blank. So I have things like g, gc, basic water properties, etc. tabbed.

Back