State Specific exam info

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harftford Civic Center - Terrible. Old tables, poor lighting.
The big arena/shopping mall where the Whalers used to play? :eek:rlyflag:

I saw a couple Phish concerts there back in the day. The first I remember because it was the night before my Intro to Envl Engineering final sophomore year. I bought a couple 'special' rice krispy treats there and for reasons I can't explain actually ate on right before my final.

The other time, I drove so I stayed mostly on point. I drove this one guy (who has since died from an OD) with me who bought a bottle of liquid LSD in the parking lot and took way too much for his own good. This guy was a real joy to drive home later.

Last edited by a moderator:
The big arena/shopping mall where the Whalers used to play? :eek:rlyflag:
I saw a couple Phish concerts there back in the day. The first I remember because it was the night before my Intro to Envl Engineering final sophomore year. I bought a couple 'special' rice krispy treats there and for reasons I can't explain actually ate on right before my final.

The other time, I drove so I stayed mostly on point. I drove this one guy (who has since died from an OD) with me who bought a bottle of liquid LSD in the parking lot and took way too much for his own good. This guy was a real joy to drive home later.
That's it. Except the exam was in the basement below the arena!

Another person posted on the Texas PE Yahoo web page concerning calculator incident. Apparently, the incident(s) took place in Houston -- with 2 other people being thrown out due to calculator issues. Anybody else take the test in Houston? TXengrChick, did you notice anything?
Sorry it took me so long to respond... I didn't even realize that someone asked me a question. Anyway, I didn't see anyone get thrown out. But, my brain was so fried by the end of the exam, it would surprise me to find out that there were lots of things that I missed. There were a decent number of people who had calculators and cell phones confiscated before the exam started.

I took the exam in Cleveland, Ohio at the Masonic Hall on Euclid Avenue in October. Here's what I remember:

Quality of Location

The Auditorium was very large. Each table had two examinees and there was plenty of room for all your stuff. It was fairly quiet, well-lit, and comfortable. I was really happy with the site overall.

Materials Allowed

Everything MUST be in a three-ring binder. Bring a good-sized box for all your stuff. Your materials need to be out of the aisle during the exam.

Materials Expressedly Forbidden

Only the standard NCEES restrictions

Parking

$5 to park in the lot next door which is attended, so that's nice. The actual entrance to the auditorium is around back, so you will need to cart your reference materials a fair distance. Something wheeled would be a good idea (as opposed to the cardboard box that I had).

Hotel/Travel Accomodations

The neighborhood around the exam site isn't all that great, so I wouldn't stay there. Downtown Cleveland is not far, but the hotels are pricey. I stayed in Twinsburg which is in the southeastern suburbs at a Super 8 which was fine. I'd recommend staying somewhere in the burbs and getting to the site EARLY. Rush hour traffic in Cleveland is a nightmare. I got to the site at about 6:20 am and had no problems with traffic, parking, etc.

Places to Eat (during break)

Not much. There's a diner across the street, and that's about it. I brought a sandwich and ate it in my car and read a book. I actually didn't mind being away from the other examinees during the break.

in South Carolina (Columbia exam site):

they said no hoodies on the paper that went out, but there was a freaking downpour the day we took the exam, so everyone had hooded rainjackets. plus it was FREEZING in the room, so everyone was wearing them. needless to say, that ended up being okay, as long as you didnt wear the hood.

cell phones-the repeated and repeated if you had one, you were going to be dismissed from the exam, even if it was off. same went with your own writing/erasing instruments and unapproved calculators.

we could take in any practice problems and solutions books/notebooks, as long as everything was bound in a 3 ring binder (no staples) and flags were permanent.

we could not have watches unless you were wearing them...you couldnt place them on a table in front of you.

snacks and drinks were allowed, as long as they were kept on the floor.

you could not have highlighters or flags to use during the exam, except the marks/flags you had put on there before the exam.

you could have a straightedge, which i ended up using on graphs and for a page marker while i went between references, since you are not supposed to be writing in your reference books in any way shape or form during the exam. i guess they think you will copy questions, so no underlining stuff that may be helpful as you are working a problem in you references!

hope this helps!

Goingtopass's post reeminded me of two things. No cell phones at all or they'd kick you out of the exam. Also, no timekeeping devices of any kind on the desk. I had a small travel clock that I set up on the corner of my desk, and they made me put it away. This was at the Cleveland, Ohio, exam site.

Seattle testers:

If you're planning to eat at the Center House, check ahead for whether there's any big events scheduled on campus that could lead to large lines.

Case in point, Whirligig is in the Center House this week (April 2011), which means the building will be full of bouncy castles and families with young kids who will all need to eat at about the same time we do.

I'm packing a lunch. :40oz:

Re Seattle

Ladyj said that the center house may be closed altogether for renovations. Either way I'll be playing it safe with a brown bag.

Edit - not THAT kind of brown bag ^^

Austin, TX
Materials Expressedly Forbidden: Anything not bound, the usual (cell phones, non-approved calculators). I saw on the Texas PE yahoo groups that one person got removed from the exam room 3 hours into the exam because his backup calculator had some of the letters missing (due to wear-and-tear).
They flipped through my books looking for loose paper or tabs. I don't think they really cared too much about writing in pencil, but I highlighted over (almost) everything in pencil anyway. I also brought copies (in a binder) of all of the problems that I worked as practice...

Fairbanks, Alaska

Quality of Location

First floor of Gruening (all entrances enter on 2nd); elevators near the room, small area to unload your materials before parking your car. Lockers (with locks) available to store electronics, hats, coats, etc... in the lobby area. Testing desks are approximately 3' square with half walls; comfortable computer chairs. Bring earplugs, the site is also utilized for computer based testing and the computers may be running in the background.

Materials Allowed

Any all per the rules and regulations laid out by NCEES policies (i.e. - must be bound, no loose leaf)

Materials Forbidden

Loose Leaf, anything else discussed on the NCEES policies. I had my practice problems worked out and comb bound. They didn't mind.

Parking

They are not checking the lots regularly to see if you have a daily parking pass ($3) or not, so it is free, but give yourself 5-10 minutes to walk from the lot to the testing site. Longer if you didn't drop your books off first and have to lug them up there. Should be shoveled paths, but expect some slop on the path. Cover your books appropriately.

Hotel/Travel Accommodations

Plenty of area hotels at a decent rate (if you are traveling)

Head to the Wood Center, about 50 yards away from Gruening, there's a small food court area upstairs (or pack a lunch). Entire exam room (including lobby) will be locked, so take what you need out of the locker before departing.

Re Seattle
Ladyj said that the center house may be closed altogether for renovations. Either way I'll be playing it safe with a brown bag.

Edit - not THAT kind of brown bag ^^
Seattle testers:

I found out that the food court SHOULD be open (remodelling project on Center House to begin in June), but prepare for long lines due to local events. The starbucks line seems to move rather quickly, however....if you need your buzz.

Good luck everyone! Also, does anyone know if there is any forbidden study material? I checked the state DOL and it appears that the rules include no staples and everything must be bound...but that was it (ie; NCEES and 6 minute solutions were allowed)

Has anyone taken the exam in Michigan? More specifically, do you know if they'll allow the NCESS sample exam and PPI sample exams during the test?

Thanks,

Illinois has the standard restrictions on cell phones, pagers, etc. They also prohibit compilations of solved problems such as the 6 Minute Solutions, the NCEES sample problems and solutions. They also prohibit the NCEES FE reference handbook.
The test site for the April '07 exam was in the lower levels of a senior citizen apartment complex. The test room is on the second floor and there is an elevator. The layout was 2 examinees per 8-ft table. The room I was in had no clock.

There is no food within walking distance and I didn't see any vending machines either. The ISPE was selling sandwiches for lunch.

Parking was free and there was a small shuttle bus to assist with transporting books to/from the car.

If you're not familiar with the area, I would strongly advise taking a drive by the site prior to the exam date. The interchange there is not very user friendly and Chicago rush hour is a bad time to be trying to figure it out for the first time.

Jim

The test in Illinois is offered in several locations besides the Chicago Area. I took it in Champaign. There was also a southern IL location as well.

I took the Oct 2006 PE exam. The test location was a hotel..slightly on the older side, very narrow wooden table only like 18inches wide. Two people per table. Looks like we were in the breakfast/cocktail room. The proctors said the room was larger than the last time.
In Oct 2010, the Chicago area location also disallowed schaum's guides, PPI quick reference guides, and anything handwritten. Surprisingly, they DID allow printed materials (even ring-bound printouts from the internet) in spite of their posted policy requiring all materials to be publisher bound.

They allowed me to have a printout of my casio calculator manual that I had comb-bound but NOT the original folded Casio manual that came from the factory.

Quality of Location

- older, warn, hotel conference rooms. Over 100 people per room. 2 people per rickety ~20" x 6' table.

Materials Allowed

-- see above

-- see above

Parking

--ample and free

-- held at the hotel. Rooms were comfortable. ~$100

As mentioned by others, traffic is terrible and the interchanges are a little tricky.

-- I brought a jimmy johns sandwich in a cooler and left it in the car. There aren't any obvious places to eat, so plan ahead.

Carbondale, Illinois

Quality of Location

Carbondale Civic Center - In a large meeting/conference room. Lighting and location were fine. Had my own 6' table and we were allowed to have books on the desk and any food or drinks, just don't disturb your neighbor.

Materials Allowed

Same Rules as NCEES - In addition the special Continental Services rules (no sample exams, no books directed towards 'test' problems, no photocopies notes in bound binders)

Parking

Parked in the parking lot in front of the civic center. A gentlemen was out front telling people it was ok to park for the entire day.

Hotel/Travel Accommodations

I assume their are hotels nearby. I got off the interstate and there are plenty (off the interstate is about 12 miles to the test site)

I drove down the road to a wendy's, but I didn't see much nearby. If you drive 2 to 3 minutes there are a variety of restaurants.

Knoxville, TN - Quality of Location - Knoxville Convention Center - actually Holiday Inn Convention Center Exhibit Hall. Hugh room, one person to a table ~6' X 3'. The lighting hum was very loud so I use earplugs (which were provided).

Usual material allowed, all had to be bound.

Forbidden: cell phones, etc. loose paper. I saw a couple of people that had to throw away some loose sheets of paper. People were given the opportunity to put their 'forgotten' cell phones or electronic devices on a table WAY to the side before the exam started.

Parking seemed adequate. I stayed at the Holiday Inn so I don't really know how far away you had to park if your drove there that day. There is always a fee or tax for parking.

Holiday Inn was nice, comfortable and about $100.00 +

I bought a sub the night before & packed it in a cooler for lunch. Chilled in my vehicle listening to my favorite tunes which calmed me down for the afternoon session.

We are trying to build a state specific FAQ thread that would contain specific information for each state.
For example I think some states will not allow you take into the exam 6 minute solutions and other material.

I think it would be a benefit to future exam takers if we could help each other out and have some state specific exam info. Also if you know a good hotel close to the exam site, or anything else logistics wise please state that as well.

We will clean up the thread when we have enough information to build the FAQ thread.

Thanks to Chris for the idea..

Here is some more specifics we could go with (thanks to jr for the idea)

Quality of Location

Materials Allowed

Parking

Raleigh, North Carolina - The location in Raleigh is great. It's at the McKimmon Center on North Carolina State University's campus. It's very convenient to get to, as it is just off I-440. The exam room was large and well-lit enough to use my solar calculator for the exam. There were two people to a table, and each table was about 8 feet long. I had plenty of room to stretch out with my stuff. Also, books are allowed on the table, which is very convenient.

Any materials are allowed in the room, as long as they are bound. I never saw a proctor check tabs, but I saw tons of people (myself included) with plain, Post-It type tabs, not the permanent glued tabs. Those seemed to be fine. I also saw several people with solved problems books. I didn't bring any myself, because I didn't know what the policy was, but retrospectively, there was nothing in the acceptance letter for the exam that prohibited anything other than loose paper.

Parking at the McKimmon Center is free, but you'd better get there early. I arrived at 7am for an 8am exam, and there were already 200 people waiting to get into the exam room. The McKimmon Center also hosts a multitude of other meetings and conferences each day, so test takers aren't the only ones using the parking lots. On-street parking is typically only 2 hours, and it's a hike to get to those parking spaces. If you use any of the local university parking lots, you need a one day visitor pass, which will cost you $2. Otherwise, you'll get a ticket. Just do yourself a favor and get to the site early enough that it's no problem.

Hotel/Travel - There are local hotels, but none within walking distance of the test site. Your best bet will be to stay somewhere along I-440 in Raleigh or Cary, which will cut down on the driving time to the site.

Places to Eat - The McKimmon Center has an on-site cafe, but the menu is limited. There are a number of fast-food restaurants within walking distance of the site, but I still recommend bringing your lunch, if for no other reason than you won't have to worry about finding a parking space again on your way back from eating.

CA - Visalia:

Pretty much everything as expected, except a contradiction in the rules emailed, mailed and online regarding snacks. The venue asked us to place all snack items under the chair and we were allowed (one at a time) to request to go to the lobby to eat the snack. I had a few power bars in the properly sized baggie. I was actually denied a request to change out a stick of gum right in front of the proctor, and was asked to do that in the lobby.

Slightly annoying, since the rules explicitly stated that small snacks were allowed on the table, but other than that the venue was ok.

Quality of LocationMaterials Allowed

Parking

Anchorage, AK- PE exam

Quality of Location- The test was administered in a church gym. Was not the poshest digs, but I wasn't expecting it either. Temperature was fine, shared a folding style banquet table with another person. Chairs were comfortable enough. Not too hot not too cold.

Materials Allowed- Any book was allowed and any binded material. You could hand write sheets of paper and stick them in a 3-ring binder if you wanted to, just no loose papers.

Parking- There is parking adjacent to the church. I believe you have to pay. Super convenient though.

Hotel/Travel Accomodations- The church is in downtown Anchorage. There are many mid to upper scale (for Anchorage standards) hotels within a 5-10 minute walk of the facility. There are definitely more modest hotel/motels easily within a 10 minute drive of the church.

Places to Eat- There are dozens of eateries within a 5-10 minute walk of the facility including local finer dining establishments, coffee shops, hot dog stands, mall food court, and bars to get your mind right.

Seattle - April 2011 - PE

Quality of Location

It's in the Exhibition Hall = basement of the ballet's offices. No problems. 2 people to a table, didn't feel cramped. Restrooms adjacent to the hall. There was a convenient coat rack under the watchful eye of the restroom proctors, though I didn't use it.

Materials Allowed

NEECS plus 3-ring bound material. I brought my worked problems but didn't use them because I realized (with sinking stomach) that they were in pencil and that would look really bad. If I'd thought of it I would have xeroxed them. I'd been sure to trace over all my in-book notes in ink so that was ok.

Snacks/drinks were fine, just couldn't keep them on the table (spill hazard).

They specifically checked our calculators at the start of each session, primary and backup, and weeded out the ones from the non-approved list. They were really particular about it. I think they even wrote down which one we were using.

Parking

Directly across the street in the garage. Bring cash and pay as you enter. NEECS worked a deal with the garage for a flat rate for the full 10 hours. Expect a long line to get into the garage. There's a sky bridge and elevators, so you can wheel book carts easily.

It's at the Center, so it's pretty easy to get to. If you need a hotel, I noticed there's a new one a block away from the site, on Roy. Think it's called the Maxwell.

It's at the Center, so there's the Center House, but check ahead of time for other events going on that could make for long lines. Whirligig was on when I took the PE, and my EIT was during the Cherry Blossom Festival. I just bring a sack lunch and eat by the fountain. There's also a McMinneman's a block away, behind Teatro Zinzanni. And a billion places a few blocks away in lower Queen Anne.

Back