State Specific exam info

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it would be good to get some updated info from your state while this is fresh in your mind

Oklahoma

Quality of Location

Location was easy to find, traffic flow into area was nice as well. Room clean, well laid out, nice enough environment for test taking.

Materials Allowed

Any all per the rules and regulations laid out by NCEES policies (i.e. - must be bound, no loose leaf)

Personally, i made sure all my notes etc...were in ink or photocopied - not sure what the exact policies or state to state policies might be; i played it safe.

Materials Expressedly Forbidden

Loose Leaf, anything else discussed on the NCEES policies.

Parking

Was supposed to be $2.00 (ended up being free). Easy to find, plenty spaces.

Hotel/Travel Accomodations

Plenty of area hotels at a decent rate (this year, $60-90 / night)

Places to Eat (during break)

Some nearby, facility had a cafeteria downstairs w/ plenty of options, chinese, chic-fil-a, salads, sandwhich, etc.

I believe the proctor indicated it WOULD NOT be available for anyone taking exams on Saturday.

Houston, TX (Reliant Center)

Room: Lighting was adequate, but the chairs were uncomfortable (like stackable banquet chairs you get from a crappy caterer). Room was easy to get to, it's upstairs but there are escalators. Bathrooms right outside the exam room. The tables inside the room were too close together. Proctors were barely able to walk between tables without knocking stuff off. They were careful, and the one in my section was thankfully skinny, but it was annoying. *edit* Temperature was ok. I was cold, but I'm always cold. Most people seemed to be pretty comfortable in normal clothes. */edit*

Materials allowed: Somewhere on TX webpage is says no penciled notes, but I saw people with whole notebooks of penciled stuff and they didn't have problems with it. The did say we couldn't have our books standing up on the table, which was a surprise. It was annoying because I had gotten used to having my binders in a crate, which I had to put on the floor. Also, clocks were not allowed on the table, had to be on the floor.

Expressly forbidden: no surprises here.

Parking: $8 for the day. I think there was adequate parking for the examinees, but saw lots of people coming in for other events who had trouble. I was asked 3 times during break if I was leaving because people wanted my spot.

Hotels: Lots of hotels located within a few miles. I paid just over $100 for Comfort Suites. If I had not required a room with a frig and microwave, I could've gotten a room for around $80-90. There are a few in the area for less than $60... not recommended!

Places to eat: I wouldn't plan on leaving for lunch. You'd probably have to pay a second parking fee (and maybe not find a spot when you get back) and I don't really know what's close. Bring a cooler, you can even bring it into the exam room with you if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wyoming

Quality of Location

It was at the UW extension building near the fairgrounds in Casper. There were two of us at each table, which were a pretty good size and hard chairs like everyone had back in elementary school. There was a clock on the wall and the restrooms were directly outside the room.

Materials Allowed

Pretty much everything. Post-it tabs were fine and pencil notes were fine. Solution manuals, textbooks, etc. were all allowed.

The only thing mentioned was looseleaf paper.

Parking

Free. No parking on the south side of the building.

I booked at the Holiday Inn Express, because I thought it was going to be at Casper College. The giant block of hotels at the south end of town are about 7 miles from the site it was at this year. No clue if it will be there next year. Book early, because it seems like the Fall PE and the state volleyball tournament are destined to always be held together, in addition to the energy boom making hotel rooms in short availability. Bring earplugs.

I brought my lunch, but I think there were maybe some places nearby. I know for sure there was a grocery store up the street and maybe a Taco John's. It's on the northern edge of Casper, so there wasn't a whole lot.

Orlando, Florida

Quality of Location

The convention center was set up where you had to park in the back of the center and walk forever to the room. It took me about 15 minutes to walk from the car to the testing location (thankfully I had a hand cart but I did see a lot of people dragging their materials). I was freezing in the morning and sweating in the afternoon (sat under a vent...had layered clothes on though). We each had a table to ourselves which was nice.

The seats were surprisingly padded, although I brought a cushion with me which helped a bit as well.

The main proctor put a tiny digital clock at the front of the room that the people in the back could not see (even with binoculars). I was on the second row, so I saw it fine but I also had a watch with me.

Materials Allowed

Anything as long as it was bound. My proctor didn't check for loose papers but some of the other proctors went book by book. Hand-written material in pencil was okay as well. I brought in all of my problems with solved answers with no problem.

They also checked very stringently the calculators. If the calculator was not on the list, you had to give it to your proctor. I also brought my angles/straight-edges and I saw several people with scales.

Post-it notes were ok too (many in the room had their books tabbed with the post-it notes). I had permanent tabs on my material so they wouldn't fall off in the studying and traveling process.

Cell phones, hoods on jackets, watches on the tables, drinks on tables

Parking

At the back of the convention center with a $10 charge.

Tons of hotels in the area. I booked early and was about 2 miles from the site. Unfortunately, it was the time of Halloween Horror nights so there were tons of tourist in the area.

My hubby brought me lunch but I do know there were several fast food restaurants around. The convention center also had a restaurant in it (although it was on the complete opposite side from the testing room). We were allowed food and drink in the testing room, although we had to keep the drink on the floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quality of Location

Fine location, fans are a little loud so I used earplugs, my Friday table was splintered and I kept getting my shirt caught on it. The chairs were awful, bought a pillow that evening for the next day's test.

Materials Allowed

Anything bound. People put their full crates up on the tables as bookcases.

Two of my surveying books (120 solved problems and Practice Exams) were confiscated along with those of many, many others because they are "bound" with staples. I was boiling mad, but the test was so hard they probably wouldn't have helped me at all. I picked up one of each from the stacks of confiscated books at the end of the test.

Also, someone two seats down from me got kicked out on Friday for having the wrong calculator.

Parking

$12 for preferred, $8 for general. Preferred isn't that much closer, you still have to walk at least a half mile to the buildings at the Fairplex they used for the test.

Overpriced Sheraton Suites is attached to the Pomona Fairplex. I stayed at the Red Roof Inn in San Dimas which was only ten minutes from the Fairplex. It was $140 total for the two nights, had free wi-fi, and wasn't horribly dirty.

There's a couple booths (Hot Dog on a Stick?) next to the testing buildings. Most people bring their own. No time to leave the Fairplex and come back.

I took the exam in Maryland.

Parking: Free, and the large lot is right in front of the building. There seemed to be plenty of parking for everyone.

Testing Site: A big expo-hall style room in the 4H building. It was kind of industrial with high ceilings and high-bay lighting, and everyone was in the one space. The tables were long, rectangular banquet-style and there were two people at each table. It wasn't crowded, but you didn't have a ton of space either. I thought the room was kind of stuffy and warm.

Test Policies: No handwritten notes (I photocopied my prac problems and put them in 3 ring binder); they checked calculators very closely, books not so much. All of my books and bound materials were allowed in. You were NOT allowed to have crates on the tables. Wristwatches had to be worn and not on the table. No jackets or wheeled carts were allowed at the table (they had spots to put them in the back of the room). Beverages were allowed but had to be left on the floor. The paperwork from Md before the test said no food, but in the exam they said snacks had to be on the floor, so they maybe did allow some.

Bathrooms: Entry to them directly from the testing room. They were kind of scary and there were a bunch of dead yellowjackets all over the place.

Chairs: Folding chairs with padded seats. Not super comfortable, but not too bad either.

Noise: I should have brought earplugs. The building itself wasn't too noisy, but I was seated towards the back by all the double doors and kept getting distracted by them opening and closing.

Hotels: I stayed at a Hampton Inn, but there were several others nearby. I'm glad I came in the night before - it took me almost 2 hours to drive up from the DC area.

Food: There are some fast food options nearby. Some of them are set back from the road, so I would just look them up on google ahead of time so you know where you're going.

Overall, despite having some pretty strict rules, the people giving the exam were all very nice and helpful. They seemed to have enough people working there that everything went pretty quickly (i.e. checking in, collecting tests, etc.).

Honolulu Hawaii, Hawaii Convention Center

Quality of Location

Big bright room with large individual tables which the let you place your crates/boxes on. Comfortable padded chairs, Two clocks in front of the room. Friendly proctors, one actually helped find a caluculator for someone who brought an unapproved model. We were supposed to be checked in by 7:15 but they didn't open the doors and allow admittance until shortly after that. Traffic leaving was brutal but that's pretty much the norm.

Materials Allowed

Hawaii Board follows NCEES policies (i.e. - must be bound, no loose leaf)

No checking of material coming through the door, but the proctors circled throughout the exam, I didn't see or hear of anything being taken from anyone.

Loose Leaf, anything else discussed on the NCEES policies.

Parking

$5.00 , plenty of spaces early in the morning and close to the escalator.

Didn't stay in one but there are a few for people coming from the outer islands.

There was a concession stand and snack machines in the lobby, not sure if they operate if no other functions are taking place. There are other places within walking distance.

Austin, TX

Quality of Location: The Convention Center downtown. Location was ok. The only thing was that there was a Spine conference going on. They served lunch on the other side of one of the walls. I was on the other side of the room, so I didn't hear anything, but I don't know if those nearer that wall were bothered.

Materials Allowed: Anything bound.

Materials Expressedly Forbidden: Anything not bound, the usual (cell phones, non-approved calculators). I saw on the Texas PE yahoo groups that one person got removed from the exam room 3 hours into the exam because his backup calculator had some of the letters missing (due to wear-and-tear).

Parking: $7 at the Convention Center parking garage; two blocks away from Convention Center

Hotel/Travel Accomodations: Live in town, so don't know much about hotel/travel. There are a few hotels down the street from the Convention Center. But since they are downtown; they will be a bit pricey (would say in the $150 range). The Convention Center is right off Interstate 35; there are some less expensive hotels off I-35, a few miles to the south (would say in the $80 range).

Places to Eat (during break): Iron Works BBQ, right next to Convention Center, but it gets full, especially when there is a Conference going on. Best bet is to bring your own lunch since time is limited.

I saw on the Texas PE yahoo groups that one person got removed from the exam room 3 hours into the exam because his backup calculator had some of the letters missing (due to wear-and-tear).
That's bullsh*t. Nowhere does it say you have to have a pristine calculator, and what do they expect after all these months? And it's a freaking backup!!!

That's bullsh*t. Nowhere does it say you have to have a pristine calculator, and what do they expect after all these months? And it's a freaking backup!!!
Yeah, that sounds fishy, but remember we're only hearing one side of the story second or third hand............

Another person posted on the Texas PE Yahoo web page concerning calculator incident. Apparently, the incident(s) took place in Houston -- with 2 other people being thrown out due to calculator issues. Anybody else take the test in Houston? TXengrChick, did you notice anything?

Wisconsin

Quality of Location

Platteville - Very small town pop 10,000 not much traffic, easy to navigate.

Large tables, open space, fairly quiet but bring ear plugs

Materials Allowed

Open book, for the PE I brought in everything, NCEES study materials and 3 ring bound stuff.

Only as specified by NCEES

Parking

Free, on the street, I parked right across from the test center

Must have a car, little public transportation, cheap hotels

On campus, close, good food, reasonable

Anyone have information on Minnesota?? Can you bring in 3 ring binders and NCEES study material?

It was nice out so alot of people were eating at their cars/pick-ups.
I just got an idea on how to pay for some super tailgating equipment. A person could probably setup a Tailgate BBQ stand at the parking lot of the PE test. Charge $10 or so per plate at lunch, and make sure the food is prepared for everyone when they come out for lunch. Charge $1.50 for drinks. It wouldn't take many exams to pay for a nice tailgating setup.

I just got an idea on how to pay for some super tailgating equipment. A person could probably setup a Tailgate BBQ stand at the parking lot of the PE test. Charge $10 or so per plate at lunch, and make sure the food is prepared for everyone when they come out for lunch. Charge $1.50 for drinks. It wouldn't take many exams to pay for a nice tailgating setup.
Imagine the effects of some quick-acting food poisoning!

Connecticut

Only gives the test in one location. Recently is has been either the Harftford Civic Center or Rentschier Field Club House. I took the FE (4/07) at the Rent and the PE (10/07) at HCC.

Quality of Location

Harftford Civic Center - Terrible. Old tables, poor lighting.

Rentschier Field Club House - Good. Late afternoon sun shines on tables, which can be a distraction.

Materials Allowed

Anything bound. No stapled stuff

Parking

Harftford Civic Center - $30 - I got there @ 6:30 and left after 6:30. Probably cheaper places to park, but I went for ease.

Rentschier Field Club House - Free

Harftford Civic Center - Pleanty of Hotels and transportation options

Rentschier Field Club House - Pleanty of Hotels, probably need car or taxi.

Harftford Civic Center - Pleanty of options

Rentschier Field Club House - Bring a lunch.

^^

$30 to park?!?!?!? WTF? Tell me it was valet and they washed and waxed your car for you while you took the exam.

Phoenix Arizona

Quality of Location

North Phoenix Baptist Church: Good

Seating is 2 people at each 6 foot table. Room is well lit and temperature was moderate.

Materials Allowed

Anything bound including 3 ring binders.

Parking

Free parking on site.

Hotel/Travel Accommodations

Residential area so not many places to stay close to test center.

Small snack bar on site that serves sandwiches and hamburgers.

Not many restaurants Located close to test center.

Recommend you bring a lunch.

Back