State of Illinois Regulations

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

civilized_naah

Reaction score
For those who have taken the PE exam in Illinois, can you post any info you might have on this topic? Are there things that are explicitly 'not allowed' as reference material?

http://www.idfpr.com/dpr/apply/FORMS/PE_SPEC_Exam.pdf
basically no practice problem solving books/solutions like the 6 minute series or lindburg

everything has to basically be publisher bound and copyrighted...no 3 ring binder of handwritten notes.

for civil test i don't think you can bring the state code book, or some other book like that.
The following references are NOT permitted in the examination room:

! Dictionaries;

! Material copied from several handbooks and textbooks and bound by/for the candidate;

! Loose tables, maps, charts, reference cards, etc.;

! Writing tables, unbound tables, or unbound notes;

! Manuals that are publications of the Illinois Department of Transportation (commonly referred

to as the IDOT Manual);

! Books with content directed mainly toward solution of engineering problems or preparation for

professional engineering examinations.

From this I just thought you couldn't photocopy pages and bring them in, but your own handwritten notes as long as binded/secured were fine?

From this I just thought you couldn't photocopy pages and bring them in, but your own handwritten notes as long as binded/secured were fine?
The proctors used in IL are not science eduated folks. They are really sort of day labors for a lack of better word. to the consistency of rule application is shotty. Its an issue of exam security I would label this as being a gray area and subject to the differences in opinion of proctors. Did you write those notes during the test or before? If you photocopy pencil notes, the proctor may say that is the not allowed photocoping part of the rules.

So for best results, I would NOT rely on my notes for the test in case a proctor that day decides no.

IMHO, its just as easy to look the info up in the reference manual if you have tagged and studied with than any sort of notes.

(w0cyru01 @ Oct 4 2010, 09:17 AM) From this I just thought you couldn't photocopy pages and bring them in, but your own handwritten notes as long as binded/secured were fine?
Some states do allow bound notes, however Illinois has additional rules about what it allows.

From what I remember, you couldn't have any handwritten or class notes (bound or not). If there is something you really want to bring in, then you can ask the proctor day of and see what they say. But I recall someone asking about a sprial notebook and being told that they couldn't use it. If there is just an equation or two, jot it down in your textbook.

You can bring in the refrence manuals like CERM/SERM/MERM, but not the "solved problems" book.

More info from the website-

References for Principles and Practice of Engineering Examination:

- Examinees may use any number of texts during the examination. No exchange of reference material

will be permitted during any examination session. Examinees may choose to change some of their

reference books between the morning and afternoon sessions.

- All exams are open book. PE Civil must bring their own copies of the applicable design standards.

- All reference books must be printed in the English language.

- Books must be copyrighted and formally bound by the publisher.

- The NCEES Transportation Design Standards and Structural Design Standards are referenced in

the Civil examination. Examination problems, which reference a standard of practice, are scored

based on these lists. To ensure that you have the most current copy available, you may obtain a copy

from the NCEES Web site at www.ncees.org.

- The codes and standards used on the PE examinations are identified in the NCEES examination

specifications, such as the 2005 edition of the National Electrical Code (NEC) applies to any

code-related questions contained in the Electrical discipline examination.

- Reference manuals published by Professional Publications, Inc., and Great Lakes Press, Inc., (which

includes reference manuals by Michael Lindeburg, Merle Potter and other authors) are permitted.

However, the accompanying solution manuals are not permitted.

Examples of books not approved include: Hicks Handbook, FAN Engineering, NCEES Study Guides,

solution manuals (which includes the solution manuals by Michael Lindeburg, Merle Potter, and other

authors published by Professional Publications, Inc., and Great Lakes Press, Inc.) and any other books

purported to be helpful in preparation for professional engineering examinations. The NCEES Fundamentals

of Engineering Reference Handbook will not be allowed in the examination.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back