Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[Dr. McCoy] I'm an engineer, not a mechanic. [/Dr. McCoy] I've replaced a dead headlight before when it was just the bulb, but this is a whole assembly.
I'm an engineer too, I replace things on my car all the time.

Unwritten rules of expected overtime are complete bullshit! Especially since I recieve no compensation what so ever. Not even comp time.

good point, I can't scrapbook. I guess we all have our own talents.
"can't" or "won't"? "can't" sorta implies that you've tried either willingly or unwillingly... since this brings your man card into question, you penance is 24 hrs of Football and beer... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
good point, I can't scrapbook. I guess we all have our own talents.
"can't" or "won't"? "can't" sorta implies that you've tried either willingly or unwillingly... since this brings your man card into question, you penance is 24 hrs of Football and beer... :D
in much the same way I'm sure VT hasn't attempted his car repair, I have not attempted scrapbooking. I am merely speculating that I would be no good at it. :p

Woke up this morning to my downstairs A/C unit running away furiously. Seems it can get my home down to 60 degrees, to bad the thermostat for that portion of the house was set to 80, and it thought it was 82. Looks like I need to replace my thermostat.

ARRRRGGGGHH!!!

Why is it when you ask a shop to clean the flange face, they make it perfectly smooth? Why can't they notice that the flange goes to their shop with a 125 micro in. phonographed face or that ASME B16.5 calls for 125 - 250? Do we have to spell out every last detail to them? It's not like this is the first one they've ever done. @#)($!

ARRRRGGGGHH!!!
Why is it when you ask a shop to clean the flange face, they make it perfectly smooth? Why can't they notice that the flange goes to their shop with a 125 micro in. phonographed face or that ASME B16.5 calls for 125 - 250? Do we have to spell out every last detail to them? It's not like this is the first one they've ever done. @#)($!
Shops+clean = flap wheel. You should know that!

If you ask the field to clean it, expect at least a 10% reduction in flange thickness and a loss of anything resembling a sealing surface.

Well, they're raised face flanges and had numerous pits across the gasketing surfaces. We just wanted a skim cut to remove the pitting. We didn't want the damned thing milled smooth.

WTF!!! I bought a fruit and walnut salad from mcD which comes with yogurt. I get back to desk to find a fork and knive in the bag instead of a spoon.

They operate under the assumption that the average customer just buries their face in their food, and has no need for utensils.

Well, they're raised face flanges and had numerous pits across the gasketing surfaces. We just wanted a skim cut to remove the pitting. We didn't want the damned thing milled smooth.

Union shop? Pay me once to do it, pay me again to do it right..........

No, not union. Just poor craftsmanship. They just picked them up under strict guidance of, "give it the surface finish of a brand new raised face flange."

WTF!!! I bought a fruit and walnut salad from mcD which comes with yogurt. I get back to desk to find a fork and knive in the bag instead of a spoon.
I'm sure if you went back, the person behind the counter would be kind enough to apologize and hand you the spork that should have been placed in the bag originally. :p

I got a letter today from the DEP siting a law that our site is in violation of. I looked for the law. It does not exist. I called the DEP on it and was told that the quote came from a DEP checklist. If I wanted the letter changed, I would need to fight it through the DEP legal department if I wanted the letter corrected since the quote was based off of a DEP form.

Really?

I got a letter today from the DEP siting a law that our site is in violation of. I looked for the law. It does not exist. I called the DEP on it and was told that the quote came from a DEP checklist. If I wanted the letter changed, I would need to fight it through the DEP legal department if I wanted the letter corrected since the quote was based off of a DEP form.
Really?

I vote for ignore/don't pay. Let them try to take you to court for breaking a law that doesn't exist.

The voice of caution here: it's probably just a mistake on the form. The inspectors are probably correct: the law (or regulation) exists. The form might just reference the pre-codified version of the law, or might contain a typo, or whatever. Take it from experience: neither of those (or any similar) excuses will shield you from the law. They'll nail you anyway, and probably add on a penalty for failing to respond in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back