So who got tossed from DE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My exam authorization said to report at 7:15 but they didn’t let people in until like 7:45 and we didn’t start until like 8:20😑

My exam authorization said to report at 7:15 but they didn’t let people in until like 7:45 and we didn’t start until like 8:20😑
Mine also said to show up at 7:15. We turned our phones in and sat on our desks until 7:40ish. The location was at a convention center and each room only have about 25 test takers. In our room, at least 3 didn't show up. Our exam started at around 7:55am. Nice, quiet, and uneventful.

Dredging up an old topic, but front of mind for me. I was "that guy" on the April 2019 PE. Was a bonehead and even though I knew everything had to be bound to start the test, my brain went on autopilot and halfway into the morning session I took out a set of stapled notes from my 3-ring binder to make them easier to flip through. The staple plus the 3-ring made it hard to keep it on the page i was referencing.

A few min later a proctor came by, informed me of my violation, took my notes, and **** near gave me a heart attack. Thought i was done and going home early, but they let me keep working and said they'll make a report, analyze the confiscated sheet (just consolidated organized reference equations) it and make a determination later. I'm now stuck in purgatory waiting to see if my results are invalidated because my epic brain fart.

So don't do that.

(My excuse is we had a new baby 4 weeks before the test and this has been a mad scramble to cram and balance new baby duties and my brain is dropping some things...)
Well the good thing is they let you finish your exam!  The fact that they told you they would make a report and ANALYZE THE CONFISCATED SHEET should ease your mind. Sounds to me like they might deal with this more than we think (or see on EB forums). I'll be praying for you that they analyze the sheet, realize it was just reference equations, talk about how you were stupid for pulling out your sheets from the binder and then give you that nice green PASS on the NCEES website!

So is the test suppose to start at 8am? 

A guy walked in around 735am as they were passing the test booklet. Luckily he was still able to take the test.
Once the exam proctor started reading the rules no one was allowed to enter the room. We started at 7:57am.

Once the exam proctor started reading the rules no one was allowed to enter the room. We started at 7:57am.
sounds like the start times depends on when the proctors want to start. Some will wait til everyone is there and some just want to get it rolling to get out of there sooner lol

The first time I took the PE, the guy sitting next to me didn't have his drivers license because he had lost it and acquired a temporary. This is in California btw. He presented a passport ID, which is the SAME thing as a passport, but it's on a card like your drivers license instead of being in a booklet. It has all of your info and a photo, but because NCEES is very particular about which ID's they accept, they made him leave and he couldn't take the exam. He was so pissed, and rightfully so. He even had other forms of ID like a pilots license with his photo etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first time I took the PE, the guy sitting next to me didn't have his drivers license because he had lost it and acquired a temporary. This is in California btw. He presented a passport ID, which is the SAME thing as a passport, but it's on a card like your drivers license instead of being in a booklet. It has all of your info and a photo, but because NCEES is very particular about which ID's they accept, they made him leave and he couldn't take the exam. He was so pissed, and rightfully so. He even had other forms of ID like a pilots license with his photo etc.
Insane, unreasonable, and completely in line with what I'd expect from NCEES.

From the most recent examinee guide:

"What to Bring You must present one of the following IDs upon arrival at the exam site:

• ID issued by a government entity in the country in which you are testing

• International travel passport in roman characters from your country of citizenship

• U.S. military ID"

I would have fought like hell.I'd be so livid.  I bet the wording was changed for folks like him who use passport cards. 

Insane, unreasonable, and completely in line with what I'd expect from NCEES.
Agreed!

From the most recent examinee guide:

"What to Bring You must present one of the following IDs upon arrival at the exam site:

• ID issued by a government entity in the country in which you are testing

• International travel passport in roman characters from your country of citizenship

• U.S. military ID"

I would have fought like hell.I'd be so livid.  I bet the wording was changed for folks like him who use passport cards. 
I would have fought it too! I don't see the difference in the ID and the booklet. Also, it's a **** test, it's not that critical in my opinion.

Back