So...what color was the pencil?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took my first mechanical PE in CA and my pencil is balck color in NCEES with October 2009 on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I 2nd the 'back in black' w/ October 2009 date - another change was that the little sine wave graphy thing on the cover of most ncees study manuals was also on the pencil, though maybe they did that starting last April(?)

I had the black with 2009 in pomona, these did not work very well I had to get 2 replacements.
when I took the FE and when I took the PE the pencils were the crappiest mechanical pencils I have ever met... seems like the engineering board would spring for a decently designed writing utensil... at least for the mechanical engineering test... after all it is a MECHANICAL pencil...

we were given two right off the bat, so i totally kept 'em both. I lost my blue FE pencil, but still have the red FS one. Black is the coolest definitely anyways

I wonder if they are now date coding them because people have bought old ones into the test and it wasn't noticed.

Interesting...

I just got very nostalgic. I took my pencil from 2 1/2 years ago out of my pencil cup and held it for a moment. There is still lead left to click out and the eraser was used minimally. Funny, though, I tried to take the eraser cap off and it will not come of easily. Do you think it is made not to be taken apart? Maybe somebody would be sneaky enough to get some test material into that small plastic tube.

Anyway, I had a sentimental moment with my pencil.

Not sure why they are making a big deal of the pencils, I had to take the time to get two replacments and ran out of room on a couple of problems (afternnoon) working in the test booklet makes the test more difficult. I also was not allowed to wear my lucky Ferrari hat!!!!

In MD, mine was was white with black NCEES, the logo, and October 2009. It has a black grip as well.

So the come in colors, eh? Maybe I'll get to collect them all.

Mine was white with black letters & grip too, October 2009 printed on it. However, the proctor wouldn't let me take it with me because they were afraid they wouldn't have enough for the next day's exam.

This was in Northern CA at the Cow Palace (yes, it does smell like cows)

No souvenir for me from my big exciting PE Exam Day :(

Something else I noticed about my pencil! Made in France! "FRANCE" is molded into the pocket clip.

Back