single phase current vs three phase current - transformer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

170B

Reaction score
consider a 100kVA transformer -

Connected phase to phase on 12kv (2 phases of the 3 phase distribution system) it draws 8.3 Amps (each phase) 100*1000/12000=8.3A

Connected to one phase and neutral at 6.9 kV a 100kVA draws 14.4 amps (1.73 time more) 100*1000/6930=14.4A

In simple terms, why is the 1.73 in there? I know somethings not right there. What's missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 12kV voltage is the Vline-line. The 6.9kV voltage is the Vline-neutral. In wye connected systems, Vline-neutral=Vline-line/sqrt3 (also known as 1.73).

What are you confused about? The answer to the second equation that takes into account 1.73 is because it is connected line-neutral so the 12kv is divided by 1.73 = 6.9kv.

When comparing the two equations, remember, in the second equation less voltage = more current. Where as in the first equation, you have more voltage = less current.

First off, I'm not sure your calculations are right. Remember the formula to find the kVA rating of a 3-Phase transformer is:

kVA = (Line Current * Line kV * 1.73)

By this formula, a 100 kVA, 3-Phase Transformer will draw 4.82 A on its 12 kV side, not 8.3 A.

I'm also assuming you're talking about a Wye-connected transformer since you bring up Line-to-Line and Line-to-Neutral Voltages. Correct me if I'm wrong in this assumption.

Now that we have that cleared up, the answer to your question... when its connected single-phase, where does the 1.73 come from? The answer comes from the same kVA rating formula for a single-phase transformer, which is:

kVA = (Current * kV )

Notice what's NOT there? That's right, the 1.73 factor. This is because when they are connected single-phase, voltage ratios are taken winding-to-winding instead of line-to-line. Even if you have a three phase connection on one side and three individual single-phase transformers on the secondary, the ratio is taken winding-to-winding.

So for each single-phase secondary connection of 6.9 kV on a 100 kVA transformer, your current is now 14.4 A. Notice that this is actually 3 times as much as the same three secondary windings connected in a 3-Phase wye configuration. This is why generally it is more efficient to use a 3 phase connection instead of single phase if possible.

Hope that helps.

I guess it's actually 2 single phase 100kVA transformers, on a 12kV 3 phase system.

Case 1 - 12kV high side connected phase to phase.

Case 2 - 6.9kV high side connected phase to neutral

At full load, what are the primary amps seen by the supply system in each case? If they are different, why?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Find I1, I2

These two configurations have to pull the same power from the 3 phase line(s) but the 1 phase vs 2 phase is not clear and there is probably a 1.73 that's not being accounted for.

T12.jpg

Back