Should I take it?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechMark

Reaction score
This is my first post. I've been a lurker for awhile, but I want to get some opinions from people who have gone through similar situations.

I'm six years out of school, and I've done manufacturing, oil and gas and, for the last 3 years, HVAC and plumbing design. However, the emphasis has definitely been on the plumbing design because of the needs of the companies I've worked for. My application was approved in May, so now I'm having to decide between taking the exam in October or April. Part of me wants to get it over with and see if I can pass it in October, while part of me wants to wait until April because, in a few months, I'll have more time to study than I do now. This is because I have a 2.5 month old at home, so once she starts sleeping better, I won't be so exhausted and will be able to devote more time to my studies.

So my question for anybody who has passed the PE: Am I crazy to even try to take it in October? I've always been a good test taker, but with an infant and family in addition to work obligations, maybe it would be better if I waited?

My question for anybody who has passed the HVAC PE exam: How much of the knowledge you used on the exam was from your everyday work and how much was from studying/MERM/review courses/your degree? I know I'm starting at a disadvantage since I don't do hardcore HVAC equations all day every day, but maybe it would be possible to study hard and pass even though it's not exactly what I do each day. Thoughts?

This is my first post. I've been a lurker for awhile, but I want to get some opinions from people who have gone through similar situations.
I'm six years out of school, and I've done manufacturing, oil and gas and, for the last 3 years, HVAC and plumbing design. However, the emphasis has definitely been on the plumbing design because of the needs of the companies I've worked for. My application was approved in May, so now I'm having to decide between taking the exam in October or April. Part of me wants to get it over with and see if I can pass it in October, while part of me wants to wait until April because, in a few months, I'll have more time to study than I do now. This is because I have a 2.5 month old at home, so once she starts sleeping better, I won't be so exhausted and will be able to devote more time to my studies.

So my question for anybody who has passed the PE: Am I crazy to even try to take it in October? I've always been a good test taker, but with an infant and family in addition to work obligations, maybe it would be better if I waited?

My question for anybody who has passed the HVAC PE exam: How much of the knowledge you used on the exam was from your everyday work and how much was from studying/MERM/review courses/your degree? I know I'm starting at a disadvantage since I don't do hardcore HVAC equations all day every day, but maybe it would be possible to study hard and pass even though it's not exactly what I do each day. Thoughts?
I was all set to take the PE exam in October of 2009, but was extremely busy at work and had just finished my Master's degree at the end of August, so I would have only had about 2 months to study. My boss recommended taking a break to refresh and sitting for the April 2010 exam. I definitely do not think I would have passed the October exam, and it was nice to relax a bit before having to study for the exam vs. jumping right in while everything was busy (I passed the April 2010 exam)! If you start studying now, you definitely have enough time to cover everything, but you'll need to devote the time to it, especially the last 4-5 weeks before the exam. If you don't think you can do that, I would say wait, but don't put it off for too long.....

I also took the Mechanical-HVAC depth. I don't think my workplace knowledge really helped me pass the exam. Focus your study on the MERM, the Six Minute Solutions, and the NCEES Sample exam and you should be fine. Really, you just need to work as many problems as possible; I think I worked the SMS and NCEES Sample exam three times each just to make sure I got it. Read through the Mechanical threads, I found a lot of good info in past threads that helped out quite a bit.

Good Luck!

My suggestion is, if you can devote 20+ hours per week starting next month (mid-July), you can probably take it in October. Based on your recall from school, you may need more time than that to feel comfortable with taking the test. If you can't commit to that, take it in April. If you decide you're going to go for April, start studying now. Try to get 10 hours in per week reviewing the basics and then up the amount of time per week as time goes on.

Good luck! I was machine design depth, so I can't help you on the HVAC stuff. Oh, and I'm still waiting for the letter from the board, but I don't think I passed, so you may not want my advice. ;)

I'm not mechanical, but I can hopefully offer some advice on the family front. I have twin boys (3.5 yo) and a little girl (1 yo) at home and also found it extremely hard to find time to study. By the time I was done with fatherly duties for the night it was 9 o'clock and i was exhausted...weekend studying was almost impossible. I just came to a conclusion that I could not devote as much time as others to studying and that I had to do it my way. I went into the test with the attitude that I had studied all the "basics" for my field and it would be good practice if and when I needed to take it again. I surprised myself and passed...you may surprise yourself too! With kids, there is always going to be something. right now it may be sleeping through the night...then she starts teething and wakes up every couple hours...I haven't gotten a decent nights sleep in 4 years. Study on your own schedule...take it in October and use it as practice if need be.

Take it this fall. If I waited for my kids to sleep all night, in their own beds, every night, I would still be waiting 8 years and 3 kids later.

Study what you can now and at the minimum, the fall exam will be fantastic practice.

Take it this fall. If I waited for my kids to sleep all night, in their own beds, every night, I would still be waiting 8 years and 3 kids later.
Study what you can now and at the minimum, the fall exam will be fantastic practice.
I agree. There's still plenty of time to study for the October exam. My daughter was only a month old when I took the EIT and 13 months when I took the PE (Civil, Transpo depth) and I passed the first time for both. I just had to bust my butt and study during any free moment.

Actually, it's easier to study when your kids are infants since they're not crawling, walking and not as interactive. Also, when kids are around, studying becomes more effective and focused since you know your time is limited.

Good luck!

The sooner you can take it the better-- I would give it a try in the fall. I also agree that it will be easier before the little ones start running around all the time!!

TAKE IT. there is not best time to take the exam, always there will be something else to do. the worst thing will happen is not to pass, then at least you will get familiar with the exam process & environment.

My husband took our boys for the 4 months I spent studying, and kept them out of my hair. I'd read books to them at night and eat supper with them, but otherwise I was basically MIA. I spent weekends at work studying to be out of the house - otherwise it was "mommy, read me this book" or "mommy, play with me".

The best part of being done with my test was having time to spend with my family again!

Good luck with your studying!

If you have unlimited tries in your state you have nothing to lose but a few bucks.

I will disagree with most.

Start studying now, but in a leisurely fashion for the Spring Exam.

Then about Jan. you can go balls to the wall.

Plus Jan-April there are very few holidays and vacations plus if you are in the North it is dark and typically raining/snowing by 4 pm anyway.

Taking the test sucks I wouldn't want to do it twice.

Back