Shaving pounds

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BringItOn...I completely understand what you are going through. Personally, I didn't "feel" overweight until I saw that 200lb mark on the horizon. If you are looking to drop weight, I would be more than happy to share my routine with you as I was sort of surprised how simple it was. The time was, without a doubt, the main issue.

BringItOn...I completely understand what you are going through. Personally, I didn't "feel" overweight until I saw that 200lb mark on the horizon. If you are looking to drop weight, I would be more than happy to share my routine with you as I was sort of surprised how simple it was. The time was, without a doubt, the main issue.
:bio: GT. At this point I will walk on fire if I have to. My Mom is coming in December and if she sees me like that she will have a heart attack... :joke:

JFuze sent me a pdf about eating healthy. I have not read the whole thing but I am trying to apply what I have read. I think is the only reason I am not over 200 right now, not yet.

I barely reach 5'-7" and also, at 43, do not know if this is an uphill battle. PM or send me an e-mail. My e-mail is in my profile.

Thanks and congratulations again.

BIO, my advice to anyone is to join an organized sport. Its worked wonders for my wife and I. Even trying to keep each other motivated to go to the gym fizzles out after a while. However after starting fencing and joining a basketball league (she does Tae Kwon Do) Im motivated in ways I cant even begin to explain. Having a team that depends on you and that you work toward a common goal with makes all the difference. Its not just my wife telling me to get my ass to the gym, its me not wanting to let my teams down.

^^excellent advice. Or if you don't want to commit to a team, at least sign up for a fun run/ride or race, so you have something to train for.

I registered on Jan 2 of this year for a MTB race on Nov 10 - that has really kept me at the training regimen. I'm not saying I'm always motivated, but it does keep me out there on the bike... well, most of the time.

Who the hell can be motivated to ride for 2 hours in the rain, through the mud, in temperatures in the 40's? For this, you need an "event"! Wouldn't have ridden this, but it was the Poto SS World Championship (don't be impressed - all SS races are World Championships :rolleyes: )

My goal was to redistribute my weight - but I've actually dropped 10 lbs since Jan.; guess I need to do a little cross training ;)

Aww, a big bad 2 hour ride. 2 hours on the trail is equal to about 5 hours on the road I have determined. I have been trying to pick up road biking lately and broke out the MTB last week. Ooooh how I missed it. Good luck with that event!

A few people have sent me messages about what worked and continues to work for me on weightloss. Over the next few days, I will put together all of my wisdom (yeah, I know, should only take 3 minutes) and get it posted. I think it is time to start an EB Biggest Loser thread to keep up with everyone who wants to start a program.

-GT

A friend of mine said his company did something like that last year. They announced, out of the blue, a companywide weight loss contest. The problem was that they decided to do it again this year, but announced three months prior what the initial and final weigh in dates were. My friend went on a binge... he gained about 30 pounds of legit weight, then before the weigh in, pounded almost a gallon of water, put some steel plates in his shoes, wore three extra t-shirts under his sweater, and loaded up his pockets with change.

He did manage to lose the 30 he put on plus another 15 (not to mention all the extra baggage he took in with him). The day before the final weigh in, he fasted, took some diet pills to lose excess water, and of course took a laxative.

He didn't win.

Im going to convert this thread into a "brag about your sports accomplishments" for a minute.

Last night my companies basketball team had its last game of the regular season. If we win we finish third in the league and get the last place team in the first round of the tourney, lose and we tie for 4th and get a team that we split our games with this season (and who just beat the #1 team in the their last game).

Anyway theres 4.9 seconds on the clock, tie game, our best player at the free throw line for a one and one. The other team has HUGE guy whos been boxing me out all day (usually Im our teams best rebounder). Well this time instead of fighting him for position, I decide to cut across the lane and get in front of the guy blocking out the shooter. As he releases the free throw I cut straight across the lane and sure enough the shot bounces off the back iron and drops right into my hands! I managed to get a couple dribbles in before getting fouled.

2.2 seconds on the clock; tie game; me at the free throw line for a one and one.....

Ohh did I mention my free throw shooting percentage for the season: 1 for 10, 10%, 0.100, 10 attempts only 1 hit. Yes I will admit to being a terrible free throw shooter.

I didnt even have time to remotely be nervous. I lined up, took my dribbles and took my shot. It left my hand a little flat, hit the back of the rim, went straight up, hit the left side of the rim, bounced to the right side of the rim, bounced back up in the air and dropped straight down the bucket! Up one! Wow, I was in total amazement that it went in. I lined up for the next free throw, took my dribbles and let it fly.....

Nothing but net.

Total clutch performance! We were up 2. The inbounded the ball and didnt even manage to get a shot off!!!

What a way to end the basketball season.

Im worried though that after our tournament I wont be as motivated to keep working to lose weight. Basketball has been a great work out.

Ohh did I mention my free throw shooting percentage for the season: 1 for 10, 10%, 0.100, 10 attempts only 1 hit. Yes I will admit to being a terrible free throw shooter.
Shaq????? :joke:

You had better luck than I did with my Co-Ed softball team. They kicked me out for "personal????" reasons.

I used to be my team's short stop. Made only one error the whole season(12 games), a throwing one, but according to the Coach's e-mail last night, I am no longer part of the team because "personal" reasons. I am still trying to figure out what the heck he meant for that. I had no problems with anyone there and I played hard all the time. Had tech difficulties trying to adjust myself to the slow pitch but did not do too bad.

I called him and asked for clarification about what "personal" problems he is referring to.

BTW...Congratulations on your game. Did you win the MVP?

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to be my team's short stop. Made only one error the whole season(12 games), a throwing one, but according to the Coach's e-mail last night, I am no longer part of the team because "personal" reasons. I am still trying to figure out what the heck he meant for that. I had no problems with anyone there and I played hard all the time. Had tech difficulties trying to asjust myself to the slow pitch but did not do too bad.
I called him and asked for clarification about what "personal" problems he is referring to.

BTW...Congratulations on your game. Did you win the MVP?
Thats total BS BIO. How in the hell is someone going to say "personal" reasons and then not explain it. Your not snookering the guys wife on the side are you???

No I didnt win MVP. We have one guy on our team is who is amazingly good. If we start losing we just hand him the ball and clear out the middle.

The cold weather biking gear I ordered came today!! Nothing says fashion like spandex pants and a cherry red wind breaker.
Sure... as long as you've earned the right to wear spandex... after all, it's a priviledge, not a right. :D

Back