Seal Not Acceptable

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vishal

^^ The Ultimate Driving Machine
Reaction score
I just got an email from TBPE that my seal is not in conformance to board rules and therefore unacceptable. This is plain BS.

I had to call TBPE at least 5-7 times before this to just get my status on verifying seal/stamp. for the first few calls they did not locate the form that I submitted via overnight FedEx (they received it on Dec. 28th). The form says that the board will notify you within 10 days!! So finally I had someone look for my form and then it was the wait for verification. Just last week I talked to the lady I have been talking and she mentioned that she has the form and it looks fine and she will email me the confirmation stating the same. Now today I emailed the same lady (Angelina Martinez) asking for the confirmation email and then I get another email from some another lady (Sheila Slaughter) that the seal is unacceptable!! WTF.

I responded back that can you please tell me what exactly is unacceptable coz I ordered it from a vendor (engineerseal.com) and people have had no problems??!!! I have to submit a form to take another exam that requires me to affix my seal and I was about to sbmit it when I thought of getting an email conformation and now this!!

Just got a response back that the seal size should be 1-5/8" or 2" (like mine is) and according to their scale it doesn't measure 2". But my scale (engineering scale) measures it as 2"!!!! Now I don't know if I can call my vendoer and straighten this thing as it is over a month, in addition, these guys are just messing with me at the 11th hour when I have to submit my form.

Any inputs?

I just got an email from TBPE that my seal is not in conformance to board rules and therefore unacceptable. This is plain BS.
I had to call TBPE at least 5-7 times before this to just get my status on verifying seal/stamp. for the first few calls they did not locate the form that I submitted via overnight FedEx (they received it on Dec. 28th). The form says that the board will notify you within 10 days!! So finally I had someone look for my form and then it was the wait for verification. Just last week I talked to the lady I have been talking and she mentioned that she has the form and it looks fine and she will email me the confirmation stating the same. Now today I emailed the same lady (Angelina Martinez) asking for the confirmation email and then I get another email from some another lady (Sheila Slaughter) that the seal is unacceptable!! WTF.

I responded back that can you please tell me what exactly is unacceptable coz I ordered it from a vendor (engineerseal.com) and people have had no problems??!!! I have to submit a form to take another exam that requires me to affix my seal and I was about to sbmit it when I thought of getting an email conformation and now this!!

Just got a response back that the seal size should be 1-5/8" or 2" (like mine is) and according to their scale it doesn't measure 2". But my scale (engineering scale) measures it as 2"!!!! Now I don't know if I can call my vendoer and straighten this thing as it is over a month, in addition, these guys are just messing with me at the 11th hour when I have to submit my form.

Any inputs?
I am in TX and I have not yet submitted my seal for approval. I haven't used it yet, either.

If you're confident that the seal is good I personally don't think I would have a problem using it for a test registration (is it a TBPE test?). Let's face it, you ARE a licensed engineer and you should have the certificate by now to prove it. Engineerseals probably does more of them than anyone so I can't imagine it being wrong.

This is surprising - the TX board usually gets rave reviews for their administrative stuff.

just my :2cents:

i am one of those who admire TBPE's admin staff and I always will but this was just a goof up.. now here's the update...

THIS IS MY "STRONG" RESPONSE TO HER DENIAL.

"Sheila,

This is unacceptable. First, the board requires communicating to the engineers within 10 business days of receipt of the seal verification form. Upon several inquiries over the telephone I was able to have Angelena locate my form that the board received on December 28th. Just last week I had a conversation with Angelena about my form, that she had in her hand at that time and advised me that she is in the process of emailing me the confirmation and that I should be receiving it shortly. Since days passed I had to inquire today again and now I am being told that this is unacceptable? I am in the process of submitting a form that requires me to affix my seal and now I can not proceed with that.

Additionally, my vendor provides 30 days for any unacceptable seals and now I have passed that deadline too!! Also, I measured the diameter of the seal using my engineer’s scale and it is a perfect 2” so I am not sure what else should I advise my vendor or anyone else?

Communication or lack thereof, is causing inconvenience and frustration. I would request you to please verify the seal again as I am sure that it is a 2” seal and Angelena had verified everything already and she was about to email me confirming the same.

I understand that Angelena is unable to respond today as she is busy with processing applications, I just received an Out of Office AutoReply from her, but you have to consider my case or at least coordinate with Angelena on this matter.

Thanks,

Vishal."

THIS IS WHAT I JUST GOT FROM HER :) )

"Mr. Kakkad,

I have consulted with Ms. Martinez and we re-measured your raised seal imprint and found it to be acceptable. However, your permanent ink seal imprint is not acceptable.

You may use the raised seal. I apologize for any inconvenience and congratulate you on your PE Licensure.

Please allow this email to serve as notice from TBPE on the acceptance of your raised PE seal imprint. No further action is required at this time.

Thank you and have a great day!

Kindest Regards,

Sheila Slaughter

Licensing & Registration

Texas Board of Professional Engineers

"This email contains the thoughts and opinions of Sheila Slaughter and does not represent official Texas Board of Professional Engineer's policy." "

So I got her to accept it..

On the side not, just read the disclaimer in her email!!! I just love it.

so you submitted both seals? I still wonder what was wrong with your stamp...

"This email contains the thoughts and opinions of Sheila Slaughter and does not represent official Texas Board of Professional Engineer's policy." "
That is just wrong if she is offering an opinion ON BEHALF of the TBPE! I call :BS: on her disclaimer!

I routinely commit agency determinations to the record via e-mail. I do this primarily because I receive calls/e-mails requesting changes to engineering details for approved plans or permitting conditions. Practically all of my projects are 'active' meaning contractors and equipment are committed to the work. These folks are very careful to not deviate from agency determinations or approvals - committing changes to writing is typically the easiest course of action. These days it is easier for me to shoot off a timely e-mail rather than attempt to send a letter that gets 'tracked' to death without the opportunity to see the light of day for AT LEAST three days.

The other important point is that my agency attorney has advised that the e-mail carries the same level of import as letterhead and in fact is no different than sending a letter or memo on letterhead.

Not to rock the boat, but somebody should complain if she is offering agency opinions and then adding a line that her opinions may not reflect TBPE. If she is offering 'her' opinion, she should send it from her PERSONAL account - not work account.

/rant

So I got her to accept it..
I am glad this was resolved timely and to your satisfaction!

JR

so you submitted both seals? I still wonder what was wrong with your stamp...
i submitted seal and stamp. now she accepted the seal and not the stamp. who cares. i am going to use it anyway. i had my colleagues measured with their engineering scales in case i have lost some engineering sense after attaining PE-ness!! one of the suggestions was to click a photo with the stamp and scale showing the measurement!! i liked it.

what she is saying is that the stamp is not 2" in diameter as it is supposed to be. now i dont know what she is using to measure, but.. oh well, i am done with it for now.

thanks for listening guys.

JR,

from my experience, i would rather not deal with this lady anymore. i know her disclaimer makes no sense at all and like you said to voice your opinion you shouldn't be using official email id's.

Vish, Thank you for providing this information. I mailed in my seal a few days ago. If I get the same sort of BS, I will go down there myself, hold her hand, and guide her through the proper way to measure.

I got an email from the board approving my seal. I used the rubber stamp which I ordered from engineerseals (like you). Here's the email I got. It also includes a website for feedback, which I noticed was not included in your email (I wonder why?)...

Congratulations on your licensure as a Professional Engineer in the state of Texas ! The board has received and accepted your sample seal and photograph. The seal is acceptable.

The licensure process is now complete. You may stamp and seal documents according to the law and rules of the Texas Engineering Practice Act and the Texas Board of Professional Engineers.

You will be notified by mail of your renewal date and fees. To keep our records up to date, please notify the Board if you have a change of address or employment.

The Board has set up a customer feedback form on our website. Please visit http://www.tbpe.state.tx.us/Feedback_Form.htm and give us your input on the licensure process.

Sincerely,

Dale Beebe Farrow

Executive Director

George P. Hartmann, P.E.

Licensing Project Manager

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they had messed up my records. I had sent them sometime towards the end of last year (ya I jumped on it baby).. they never found it for weeks.. like i said it all before.. one lady says its fine, approved and she is in the process of emailing me.. (process of emailing, i thought you just have to press a send button on the previously drafted email!!) anyway, i never get email and then the whole story of unacceptance and all crap. i bet they had some internal issues. i had to use harsh language and almost threaten to go to higher ups to get this thing done... still to keep their tail up they said raised seal is acceptable but not the rubber stamp??!!! WTF???!!! its from same vendor and same size...

the back and forth emails that i was transmitting had finally written on it that "accept this as our approval email" so i never got the actual email that i shud get.

i am happy the ordeal is over.

PS: i think i mentioned it here, i literally measured it and told her that what scale are you using coz my "engineering scale" measure it right.. now that i thin of it i smile on that statement!!

6cba7733_marty-i-think-we-are-back-to-the-old-thread.jpeg

Back